advertisement

Completely flumaxed .. what do i do?

Cabbaged

I'm using Audiovector M3 floor standers with Roksan Caspian m2 amp, Logic Dm101 and a Caspian m1 cd player. To be honest i've not been completely happy with the set up, whether thats the amp or the speakers i dont know. I also have a Naim cb 32.5 pre and a hicap which is boxed up and not being used.

I want to replace the Audiovector speakers for stand mount to keep out of reach of the grandchildren

Do i sell the Roksan M2/Audiovector to buy a Naim cb250 amp?
OR
Sell the Naim to help finance better speakers?
OR
Sell up and start a fresh?

I'm flumaxed here? ... either way I would still like standmount speakers.

Livingroom size is 15x12 with a wood floor (old semi), I've a varied taste in music

As is, I have a budget of around £650 for used pair

Bear in mind that most standmount speakers are easily toppled over. If you have small children be sure to keep speaker grilles on to ward off pokey little fingers.

I have a 15 month old daughter and massive vintage Tannoys. There's no chance of her being able to knock them over and the grilles always stay on.

Why do you imagine that stand-mounts will be more child-proof than floor-standers?

As far as advice on changes go, as ever - buy wisely second-hand and live with for a while and sell on or keep.

I'm using Audiovector M3 floor standers with Roksan Caspian m2 amp, Logic Dm101 and a Caspian m1 cd player. To be honest i've not been completely happy with the set up, whether thats the amp or the speakers i dont know.

What is it about the sound you're not happy with?

Audiovector speakers do some things incredibly well, but they can be rather lean sounding in my experience.

Stand mounts are easier to knock over than floorstanders. Talk to the children and ask them to be careful around them, and they will.

Have you got access to a power amp that you can borrow so that you can see how you like the Naim pre? You might not like it, in which case you know what to do. It might OTOH be everything you have ever wanted, so that's easy too.

FlummOxed. Very h/duty spiked and filled stands would probably be needed and If the wooden floors are parquet or similar you might have a problem. Furthermore, children grow quickly and a two year old toddler can reach most stand-mount speakers. Stick to floor-standers, which are less of a compromise (and you don't need to spend a small fortune on stands). Cover with blanket or heavy cloth when the children are around, or make a cardboard (or other) 'box' which drops over them.

It may be that your amplification, source components and speakers tend to 'lean' one way and are not therefore very synergistic (unless you like that presentation), so change of amplification might be where to look. Am familiar with early Naim, but not Roksan. You already have half a decent set, so your thought of adding an old Olive 250 might hold water. If bought sensibly and it doesn't work out, you'll not lose much selling as a set, I'd've thought. Worth a punt, but check out your speakers on Google and what have you to ascertain the type of amplification etc. they're best with.

Edit

I'm thinking of putting standmount speakers on our cabinets in the alcoves of the chimney breast, hopefully they'l be easier to turn 90/180 degrees when not being listened to. The Audiovector are on spikes on stone plates. Too much to move for my wife when i'm not at home if the grandkids come

[QUOTE="stevec67, post: 3848897, member: 7450"]Have you got access to a power amp that you can borrow so that you can see how you like the Naim pre? You might not like it, in which case you know what to do. It might OTOH be everything you have ever wanted, so that's easy too.[/QUOTE]

I dont no, I dont know anybody who has the slightest interest in audio

Bear in mind that most standmount speakers are easily toppled over. If you have small children be sure to keep speaker grilles on to ward off pokey little fingers.

I have a 15 month old daughter and massive vintage Tannoys. There's no chance of her being able to knock them over and the grilles always stay on.
Yeah, I had Linn Keltiks by the time my daughter was pottering around, incidentally she’s never touched any of my speakers, even unintentionally but the Keltiks would be very, very hard for a small child to topple... unlike just about any stand mounted speaker. It’s not a change I’d be making... for childproofing (or rather safety of the child), low centre of gravity/more mass than they can physically move is a good thing... or wall mounts.

I’d be looking at Katans or Majik 109s on their dedicated wall brackets if you wanted a really child safe solution, they’d be sweet with either the Roksan or Naim amplification too!

If you have a chance to listen to a Naim NAC 32.5/Hicap/Nap 250 with some Totem Mani 2, give it a try and you could be amazed how such a small speaker can deliver !
For medium room size, this combo really rocks but also performs very well on acoustic jazz.

I'm thinking of putting standmount speakers on our cabinets in the alcoves of the chimney breast

Fine idea for security but not for listening. Rear ported is out; front ported probably ditto and sealed cab's/back to the wall speakers would work but need good side space, Think you need to work on priorities; security or s.q. There can be compromises but not by sticking speakers where they'll sound 'orrible.

Hi,

I would suggest that a 32.5/Hicap/250 would be better than your current amp by some way.

Of course Naim have that sound that you may or may not like, however getting a Naim set up you can get them serviced in the future should you like them and that will give you back basically a new amp set up. I have just done that and my Naim set up is really very very good.

My suggestion is get the amps sorted, then if you like them sort out the speakers later.

As for speakers I would suggest Shahinian Elf's, yes I know they are rare as hens back teeth, but they are easy to move and sound amazing on the end of a Naim 250, I know I have them and they are seriously good.

Failing that the Linn 109's are very good, but the stand mounts you should hear are Linn 212's, nothing comes close, but then again you still have the issue of them easily being knocked over.

Another floor speaker to think about is the Totem Arros, they are again easy to move out the way and are very good and do sound great on the end of Naims.

Cheers

John

advertisement

Back