advertisement

Complete Hanssler Bach Edition (172 CDs) for 120 Euros.

horace

pfm Member
OK, most people (myself included) probably don't need 172 CDs of Bach, great though he was.
However, when the complete Hanssler Classics Bach Edition can be snapped up for such a loony price as this, I can make an exception.
Just ordered mine from here:

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/indexengl.htm
(Click 'Specials' and scroll down to 'The Complete Bach')

Postage to the UK will cost about £6, making the whole deal about eighty-odd notes. Not bad considering that Amazon.com are currently offering it for $1800! My understanding is that the cheaper version is pressed under license in E. Europe and comes with literature in German, but has English translations on a CD rom. Though at this price, I won't complain about that.
Hope this is of interest to someone. It's too good a deal to keep to myself.

BTW - I have done business with zweitausendeins on several occasions - delivery to UK takes about 10 days. I've never had any cause for complaint.

Cheers

Martin

Wondering how it is possible to sell a 172 CD set for this money and still allow a profit to be made by all concerned.......or by anybody at all!

Thanks, Horace. I personally can never get enough Bach! Now I can complete my collection of Rilling cantatas and hear many other works in different versions. Have to think about the storage though, my Bach CD storage is pretty crammed...

Tones - on the storage front, I'm pretty sure the set comes with each disc in a cardboard sleeve, so it shouldn't take up too much space. I can't believe they could supply jewel cases at the price.

Cheers

Martin

Let me just add that Zweitausendeins is one of the oldest mail order houses in Germany and has an excellent repuation. Deal with confidence.

Originally posted by horace
Tones - on the storage front, I'm pretty sure the set comes with each disc in a cardboard sleeve, so it shouldn't take up too much space. I can't believe they could supply jewel cases at the price.

Cheers

Martin

Aha, like Brilliant Classics does with its sets. I hope so. Mind you, it sounds right - I saw the set (in its big cardboard box) in Zürich a while back and there's no way that 179 jewel cases could have fitted in a box that size - I hope!

My impulse purchase arrived this morning by courier. It's packed four CDs to a jewel case with tracklistings etc. Four languages as necessary. Not at all obviously cut price.

Paul

Paul

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.
I'm surprized they used jewel cases - heck, the cases alone must have eaten a big chunk out of the production costs.Do I take it that I'll have to make a sizeable space on my shelf to accommodate it?

Grateful for your first impressions of the set - just to whet my appetite.

Cheers

Martin

Mine should be here in a few days.....

22 inches of shelf space will suffice.

I've only dipped into a couple of CDs so far. The sound is good and the player (in this case) seems to know what he's about.

Paul

My set arrived about an hour ago. Packaging is very nice indeed.
I'm listening to the solo cello suites (played by Pergamenshikow). They are wonderfully played and recorded. If the rest lives up to this......

Sadly, the package must have been dropped in transit - the outer boxes are split and several of the inserts have broken 'teeth'.
I'll email zweitausendeins and see if they will send replacements.

What a bargain.

Now, what shall I listen to next?

Cheers

Martin

Hi there

I hope you don't mind me butting in. I've been reading this thread with interest, thinking "this must be too good to be true".

Anyway, my doubts have evaporated and I'm off to place my order now. I can't beleive what good value this is, some very tempting offers elswhere on their site. I'd never have heard of them had it not been for PFM, nor trusted them without forum members recommendations.

I can't wait to tell my wife, she will surely be delighted when I show her how much money I've saved us.

John

I really don't think you can go wrong here. Just go for it! I've been trawling through the discs all afternoon. Haven't hit a dud yet! Some wonderful music and performances.
Zweitausendeins have had a fair bit of my cash in recent months. A few of my favourites from them so far:

Complete Haydn symphonies on Brilliant Classics (licensed from Nimbus) About 50 euros and worth every penny (cent?) and more. Not to be missed. 33 Cds if I remember right.

Ravel/Debussy solo piano music played by Crossley/Fergus Thompson. Also Brilliant Classics. Fabulous (and dirt cheap).

Complete Dvorak string quartets. Brilliant classics. Magic! A 'diapason D'or' award winner and rightly so IMHO.

Oh, and two box sets of complete Mahler symphonies (one by Inbal, licensed from Denon and the other a mixed bag which contains some real classics and some rather more pedestrian performances. The Inbal set is very nice and benefits from superb recording quality. Perhaps not one to displace Solti or Kubelik, but surprisingly close in parts and a definite bargain)
Also check out inbal's Berlioz box (again, licensed from Denon - lovely sound and performances that are consistently satisfying).

In short, check out the Brilliant Classics section - there are some real gems in there......Emil Gilels plays Beethoven, the Helene Grimaud box set (a much underrated pianist) the Beethoven symphonies by Blomstedt (a corker!) the Sanderling Sibelius symphonies set (again, much underrated IMHO).
All first class performances for peanuts.

I could go on, but more Bach beckons.......

Bliss

Martin

They have had a few € from me too.....
they sell jazz vinyl as well - some say the pressings are not as good as the originals (I have nothing to compare with), but virgin vinyl for how many € per disc!!!???
Delivery was fast & I am more than happy!!

oh yes....5€ a disc! or £3.50......

robs

I've been very tempted by the jazz vinyl, but was put off by the same reports as you it seems. Talk of poor pressing quality and digital masters.
But what the heck, at £3.50 a pop.....
Any favourites?

Cheers

Martin

I got a few...Miles Walkin', Blue Moods, Cookin', Coltrane, Settin' the Pace, Monk & Rollins, Brilliant Corners, Bird on 52nd Street, Kyoto etc.
From what I understand they are all digital masters, but I've had no problems with quality. Hell, they're cheaper than CD's anyway!!!

They're almost car boot price....except you won't find them at the car boot...!!

Oh dear, I was afraid you'd say that.

Another wallet-busting order ahead.

I think I'll get shares in the company. A winner while they have customers like me!

Martin:D

[
Complete Haydn symphonies on Brilliant Classics (licensed from Nimbus) About 50 euros and worth every penny (cent?) and more. Not to be missed. 33 Cds if I remember right.

Unmissable at twice the price. This is almost as cheap as buying CD-Rs! This is wonderfully humane and civilised music, well recorded and arguably the best version of the whole cycle available. If 104 symphonies seems a lot to chew on, just listen to one before dinner every day.

Having lived with the Bach Edition for a while, I'd just like to reitterate that it really is the best classical music buy I can remember making. I've listened to about 20 of the discs (150 to go!) - nothing but pure pleasure.
The only downside is that I've had to reorganise my CD collection to fit the boxes onto the shelves. Oh well.
Bach was always a mystery to me - but I am beginning to appreciate his music as never before.

Martin
With a big classical (or more accurately, Baroque) smiley.

Wow!

What a website. Have just ordered the complete Haydn Symponies, which I had heard was available in Superdrug for silly money about a year ago, but have never managed to find. Plus some other things which seemed worth a try. About 85 euros plus 8.80 for delivery for about 50 cds (lost count really).

The Brilliant Shostakovich Symphonies box is well worth having.

Phil.

Phil

The Shostakovich is a nice set.

You will love the Haydn.

It's a dangerous site to visit.......

Martin

Having lived with the Bach Edition for a while, I'd just like to reitterate that it really is the best classical music buy I can remember making. I've listened to about 20 of the discs (150 to go!) - nothing but pure pleasure.

It's certainly a great introduction to Bach. I'd already heard most of the Rilling cantatas, and while not my first choice (that would be Gardiner or Suzuki), they are generally good performances. The great classics (e.g., BWV4, 80, 137, 140, 147) are well done. The Christmas Oratorio lacks the sparkle of Gardiner (which is the best performance currently on the market) and the Magnificat, the most joyous of Bach's choral works, is a bit ponderous. But that doesn't matter - one can make discoveries and then go on to find better versions of those. Prof. Rilling has done us all a great service.

advertisement

Back