advertisement

Compact floorstanders

With small speakers mean I need to have stands. And stands are doesn't fit the aesthetic of the house.

No, I mean small floor standers and then hide a sub somewhere.

I have had Talisman 2’s and they are truly excellent speakers. I can’t imagine they will deliver the bass you want though even though they are not weak in that respect. A sub will!

A lot of floor standers, just as many standmounts do, probably benefit from a good subwoofer especially if they have to cover Home Theatre.

Personally I would concentrate not just on bass but other, arguably more important aspects unless you happen to find the golden egg.

There are some terrific (reported/reviewed) subwoofers around now that will probably enhance a lot of speakers without slowing them down or impede them otherwise.

It can take stress off the amplifier and speakers.

I'm using hegel 190 and/or accuphase e370 to power it.

I'm looking for something in matt white or walnut. Though matt black is still a-OK.

I saw dali oberon and thought the bass is a lil light.

I listen to wide range of music, but will need the speakers to be great movie speakers as well, hence the bass requirements

I have no space constraints and can go above 100cm and width more than 21cm easily. But prefer a slimmer silhouette.

Will look at the recommendations!

Any other recommendations?
Amphion Argon 7LS. Matt white or walnut: check. Deep bass: check. Work with Hegel or Accuphase amps: double check!

I rarely do any critical listening now which is why other aspects isn't that impt. If anything, my favourite speakers brand is atc but they do not have slim floorstanders

Amphion Argon 7LS. Matt white or walnut: check. Deep bass: check. Work with Hegel or Accuphase amps: double check!

The 3ls is a better choice, but I still find the width a little large at 23cm.

I have the argon 1. I thought the bass is fantastic.

I rarely do any critical listening now which is why other aspects isn't that impt. If anything, my favourite speakers brand is atc but they do not have slim floorstanders

The 3ls is a better choice, but I still find the width a little large at 23cm.

I have the argon 1. I thought the bass is fantastic.
The Argon 7LS is 19cm wide, and I'd discounted the 3LS as you specified a floorstander. Originally, you said <100cm tall, which is why I didn't suggest them earlier, but when you said there was some wriggle-room over that, it seemed like a no-brainer. The 3LS gives 90% of what the 7LS does, and is amazing value at half the price, but the 7LS is just better, esp. in terms of bass. IMHO.

I rarely do any critical listening now

Perhaps Duevel Planets could be useable, they are sort of omni sounding, extremely compact, looks(German made) like a bit different than mainstream - some would say art - and surprisingly good background or critical performance no matter where you are based in room.
I thought they were on level with some expensive Shahinigans.

duevel_planets_omnidirectional_loudspeakers_white[1].jpg

The Argon 7LS is 19cm wide, and I'd discounted the 3LS as you specified a floorstander. Originally, you said <100cm tall, which is why I didn't suggest them earlier, but when you said there was some wriggle-room over that, it seemed like a no-brainer. The 3LS gives 90% of what the 7LS does, and is amazing value at half the price, but the 7LS is just better, esp. in terms of bass. IMHO.

Is the 7ls 19cm wide? From what I see from the website it is 23cm wide. 3ls is also a floorstander.

Perhaps Duevel Planets could be useable, they are sort of omni sounding, extremely compact, looks(German made) like a bit different than mainstream - some would say art - and surprisingly good background or critical performance no matter where you are based in room.
I thought they were on level with some expensive Shahinigans.

duevel_planets_omnidirectional_loudspeakers_white[1].jpg
Wow this is seriously interesting. I'd have a look.

I'm using hegel 190 and/or accuphase e370 to power it.

I'm looking for something in matt white or walnut. Though matt black is still a-OK.

I saw dali oberon and thought the bass is a lil light.

I listen to wide range of music, but will need the speakers to be great movie speakers as well, hence the bass requirements

I have no space constraints and can go above 100cm and width more than 21cm easily. But prefer a slimmer silhouette.

Will look at the recommendations!

Any other recommendations?

Is the 7ls 19cm wide? From what I see from the website it is 23cm wide. 3ls is also a floorstander.
Apologies, I was confusing with the 3S, you’re right the 3LS is the smaller floorstander. The measurements I gave were what I was told when I had them, but I didn’t measure them.

I live in a compact one bedroom flat and have had great results with Neat speakers. It just so happens I have a pair of Neat Elite SX floorstanders in the classifieds.

Wow this is seriously interesting. I'd have a look.

I'm not a fan of omni speakers, apart from some vintage Carlsson most of them did sound quite confused or vaque with little focus.
Surpricingly for me, those Planets doesn't quite have these shortcomings, ok still not the pin-point snap of monitors, but great value at relative cost.
Looks are good too IMO.

advertisement

Back