advertisement

Come to Norfolk they said - driest county in England they said!

Late this afternoon in Essex, sun was shining, birds singing, blue skies. And it was still bloody raining.

I thought Kent was the driest county, but Norfolk the flattest. Norfolk is a lovely county to live in. :)
I seem to remember from my O level Geography 40 years ago that Essex and Suffolk were driest, with the rest of East Anglia, Lincolnshire and probably Kent not far behind. Things may have changed a bit since then. After all, back then there was such a thing as "frost" and sometimes in the months around Christmas there was a hard, slippery material on the ground that crunched if you walked on it.

I’ve been visiting my parents for Easter, they’re about 20 minutes from Plymouth, they had Countryfile file on earlier where the weekly forecast said to expect a further rainfall of 50mm plus across the next week and that’s on top of 269% above average rainfall for March alone - the past 6 months across the whole of the UK has been truly awful
We moved to Plymouth from Manchester- Rainy City!- 18 years ago. It rains just as much, or more, but it's warmer rain.
It's grim up north.

Alexa weather tells us of flood alert every other day in Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk.

The lawn is sodden and couldn't take much more rain before it could be considered a big puddle.

So weather you get floods depends on the drainage.

Well nearly a month on from my first post and it’s raining less but still raining pretty much every day. It’s also unseasonably cold. Forecasters say there is little change on the horizon. I’m noticing it more as I need a largely dry couple of weeks to do some damp treatment on my renovation and was assuming I’d be doing this early May… no chance as the moisture levels in the brickwork are still too high. As it involves using a cherry picker I can’t do any landscaping until after that. Was hoping to be in by Xmas but think that’s starting to look unlikely.

Should have stayed in NW of England. Ah well, first world problems eh? :D

I bought a rather expensive bike just over a week ago, it’s yet to touch tarmac & I'm not sure when it ever will.

Somebody at work was talking about the possibility of no summer this year.. it’s nearly May & we still have grit on the roads.

Yay! Off out on a different bike, in the cold.

Yes, still in Kent. It has been drier (not today) but we’ve had a really cold wind for what seems like weeks. We have been working outside next to the Thames (Fulham) for 2 weeks, we have lost very little time due to rain, so far.

Cheers BB

It's been dry and cold in Fife (just N of Edinburgh) all week, with only a few spots of rain. Beautiful evenings, just very cold. Cold and grey in Leeds today. Oh, it's just started raining. Lovely.

Still having to use the heated screen to defrost in the morning here, I checked the long term forecast yesterday for the first time since forever and it looks pretty grim.

Our local carbooty is over a month late starting this year and likely going to be longer, half the field is under water

More rain in Norfolk today, like yesterday.
I got soaked just emptying the garden water butts.

We were lucky on our ten day camping holiday on the North Norfolk coast at the beginning of April.
Only one rainy day. The rest was nice.

Absolutely torrential overnight and this morning... that's the building utterly saturated again... at least recently it had just been light rain, but now we've had an absolute soaking again... heartily sick of it to be honest! Only good thing is it's windt nearly every day too so that will help dry the building out ... again!

advertisement

Back