advertisement

Coltrane vinyl

Tantris

pfm Member
I picked up a few slabs of Coltrane vinyl recently, including a double LP set, Live in Paris, on the Affinity label (AFFD 24). It's great, sounds similar to the first Village Vanguard set, and the sound quality is more than decent. However, it says it's from 1965 (and by 1965 Coltrane had moved on significantly since VV 1961), and recorded mainly in Antibes rather than Paris, and a track called Afro Blue is most definitely My Favourite Things (which doesn't prevent this being a great version). I'm just wondering if this is a bootleg with rather dodgy attribution of dates and personnel - I'm not even sure that Coltrane was in Europe in 1965 - does anyone know enough about the Coltrane discography to advise?

I also picked up what seems to be an original version of New Thing at Newport, except that the Impulse label is blue with a green border - is this actually some later reissue?

The most notable set was the double LP Concert in Japan - at last I've found some Coltrane to rival Interstellar Space. What a great set - I'll probably have to buy the CD set, since it is rather more complete, but the LPs are very very good.

It's probably from 1963. The European tours of that year have been endlessly rereleased by labels like Charly, and often (even in the nicely done box set, Live Trane, which collects virtually all of them) wrongly track listed, dated, or geographically located.

I don't have my complete discography to hand, but I'll be able to check it next week to see if really was Paris 1965.

-- Ian

I've also got that Affinity LP, can still remember being blown away by the version of Naima listening on headphones in a Bristol record shop round about 1980 or so...

Don't know if we have the same pressing, mine is gatefold, attributes side 1 to an Antibes July 27 '65 and remaining 3 sides to Paris July 28 '65. Sleevenotes say these records are from brief tour "sandwiched between Newport Festival and a Chicago concert promoted by Down Beat magazine", and refer to other Affinity issues of recordings from a '63 tour.

Agree on the Japan Concert too.

Jon

Sounds like we have the same set, Jon. The label says that Affinity is a division of Charly Music Ltd. I think I'll listen to it again this morning - it's too cold to venture outside.

Ah, of course, OK, Antibes July 1965 is the same concert where Trane played A Love Supreme live for the only time.

When I get back to London next week I'll check the Paris dates and setlists for that year.

Charly/Affinity/Pablo are all under the same ownership and all of Trane's European gigs (pretty much) have been released on one or more of these labels over the years.

Edit: yes, Live in Japan is exceptional. There are two volumes btw, both worth having.

-- Ian

Tantris said:
Sounds like we have the same set, Jon.

Indeed. The "Afro Blue" track is the same tune as on the recent "one up one down" live set and is different to My Favourite Things, though for the purposes of the soloing (i.e. almost the entire piece) they are definitely similar - I doubt they ever played one after the other in the same set...

Glad you reminded me of this album! Do you know Transition btw - one of my favourites from this period.

Jon

That's interesting - it was actually the introduction that made me think it was MFT. When I get some time I'll compare the LP against the One Down One Up set - one of the 2005 records of the year, imho.

BTW, have you seen that Radio 3 is planning a Miles Davis weekend in late May, to celebrate his 80th birthday? I think he will also be composer of the week at some time. Details included in here.

OK, July 27th 1965 at Antibes, in addition to A Love Supreme, the set was:

Naima
Blue Valse
My Favourite Things
Impressions

July 28th 1965 the quartet played Salle Peyel, Paris, the set was:

Afro-Blue
Impressions
Blue Valse

Make of that what you will. Great performances both, I've just given them a quick run through, must listen to them properly again.

-- Ian

Thanks, Ian. I wonder if the version of A Love Supreme with Shepp and Davis will ever be released.

The only known take with Shepp was released on the "Deluxe" CD reissue a couple of years ago, along with the Antibes performance (which had been around as a bootleg for many years).

-- Ian

sideshowbob said:
Live in Japan is exceptional. There are two volumes btw, both worth having. -- Ian

Ian, I'm listening to a 2.5 disc Japanese version right now (thanks to Joel for suggesting this) and it is indeed exceptional. I guess there were no plans to release it when it was originally recorded so they were letting fly without worring about what would fit onto an LP side. I'd like more of the same but it appears to overlap vol 1 and 2 so it looks like I'm going to have to get both.

Just bought 4 Coltrane LP's today as I needed something to try out on the new turntable:

Coltrane plays the blues (1962)
The Avant Garde (1966)
Ole Coltrane (1962)
Coltrane Jazz (1961).

All on Atlantic label.

I've known his name, but never listened to him before. In fact I've never bought a jazz record before. Middle age must be catching up with me. Anyway, seem to be reasonable recordings and probably better than the Dave Brubeck / Miles Davies I can remember hearing in the past.

advertisement

Back