advertisement

Coltrane Live At The Village Vanguard - channel balance

We do get used to some odd balance practices. My cranky pet hate is when drums are mixed so they spread across the soundstage as if they were 20 feet wide. A voice or bass is often carefully positioned, guitars separated and the the drum kit is spread right across.

In the mid 60 Miles quartet, by contrast and for example, Tony William's drums are off to the left and you can identify where they sit in the room.

Play most well recorded recent records and the drums loom across everything.

Actually, I don't think this is what you have on the CD reissue.

According to the download version on Amazon, Spiritual last 20 minutes. The original LP had the 13 minute version. There are 4 different versions of Spiritual on the 4 CD set.

Also Eric Dolphy appears on the right hand side whenever he plays. Eric only appears on 1 track on the original LP so the LP is biased towards Coltrane and the left hand side. I would imagine that when they were balancing the whole group it sounded a lot more natural.

The CD I have, which I linked to earlier in the thread, has the 13.30 version of Spiritual and that is the only track featuring Dolphy. It does seem to be the same material as the original LP.

Recommendations for the 4 cd set are noted. It's on the list with about 100 other jazz titles that I'm looking to collect. As a relative newcomer to this, I've got a lot of catching up to do. :)

The CD I have, which I linked to earlier in the thread, has the 13.30 version of Spiritual and that is the only track featuring Dolphy. It does seem to be the same material as the original LP.

It seems then that amazon have made a mistake because the mp3 version they link to is the longer version.

You could turn this to your advantage by making use of the auto rip feature to download the longer version for free :) (assuming you bought it from amazon that is).

It seems then that amazon have made a mistake because the mp3 version they link to is the longer version.

You could turn this to your advantage by making use of the auto rip feature to download the longer version for free :) (assuming you bought it from amazon that is).

You're right - just had a look in my Amazon cloud player and there's a different edition in there.

...the stereo mix seems pretty weird. The sax and piano all seem to be on the left channel and just percussion on the right.

A couple of long tracks from the Vanguard sessions (along with a couple of short studio takes) make up the Impressions album. Side one has 'India' with Eric Dolphy and Reggie Workman. They sit out for the wonderful "Impressions' on side two featuring the classic quartet. McCoy Tyner hardly plays and Jimmy Garrison is hardly heard. What's left is over fourteen minutes of pure ecstasy, Trane (left) being pushed every which way by Elvin (right). Perfect in stereo.

advertisement

Back