advertisement

Coltrane Atlantic box set - anyone got it?

Being crap and not owning a single Coltrane record, is this the place to start or should I find a £4 copy of Love Supreme or something? I appologise for my rubbishness.

I'd start here

coltra_john_coltranep_101b.jpg

Where the music is less philosophically "driven" and his juxtapositional playing and his future technique is starting... Miles (with whom he was playing at the time as part of the MDQ) is still an influence on him here as well so economy plays a big part in his playing at the time. Coltrane (a la A love Supreme) is a dense, wild, intense, madly driven heady thing that confounds as easily as it puts off -- its popular but it is not easygoing for the new to Coltrane... That said, the Heavyweight Series Box is a lovely thing and you will probably end up getting it anyway.

Oh and also check out Blue Traine. (On Blue Note)

I agree completely with what Fox says above but would add ‘Ballads’ as another ideal starting point, it’s a stunning album. The later free stuff is challenging to put it mildly. I made the mistake of starting with ‘Meditations’, an album that still sounds like someone attempting to inflate a live cat to these ears. Probably not an ideal place to start. ‘Ascension’ sounds like many people inflating many cats simultaneously and is astonishing for it’s sheer fierceness - even if it's an album I've only played twice I'll certainly never forget the experience! The pivot point between the tonal and the free for me is ‘Crescent’ which is stunningly beautiful and an album I found instantly accessible. Some of his excursions in to more ‘African’ territory are good too, e.g. Kulu Se Mama, side one of which is almost a pre-echo of the sound Fela Kuti would make famous in the 70s and 80s. Well worth trying.

Tony.

I always recommend starting with Crescent. (a) It's under-rated, and doesn't carry a lot of the baggage of some of the more well-known records; (b) it's one of the finest records anyone will ever own.

Having said that, if you have the money for the Atlantic box buying it is a very good move. My Favourite Things and Giant Steps in particular are just amazing records.

-- Ian

I would second Giant Steps - probably my favourite Coltrane album.

To be honest, I think some of my favourite Coltrane playing is with him working in other peoples groups - obviously Miles Davis, but there are some other excellent records. For example, "Gold Coast" is nominally a Wilbur Harden session, but contains some lovely Coltrane solos.

This probably shows me up as a light weight with vulgar tastes.

Argh fk it, I'll just buy the box set- I'm going to sit and listen to it till I like it anyway so I guess it doesn't matter too much where I start. Besides, I've developed a bit of a taste for the free stuff the last few months and my jazz selection is fairly minimal for the most part, but I'm working on it.

The Atlantic stuff isn't very free, it's a bit early for that. Nice tunes and everything, but pretty intense at times too.

-- Ian

Tony L said:
Some of his excursions in to more ‘African’ territory are good too, e.g. Kulu Se Mama, side one of which is almost a pre-echo of the sound Fela Kuti would make famous in the 70s and 80s.

Oh yes. Dakar. A double. Mine's in mono. Its a joy to play.

I have to say that Giant Steps is very overrated IMHO, and that in general I don't find the Coltrane / Atlantic years (as documented by the Heavyweight Champion set) particularly fascinating, although Ole and MFT are very good, obviously. Nor am I attracted to earlier Coltrane on Prestige, other than Soultrane.

Things get interesting with the Village Vanguard recordings, and accelerate towards some of the most extraordinary music ever created. Both Ascension and A Love Supreme are good, albeit overrated in different ways, but Meditations and Living Space are among Coltrane's masterpieces; it's on his later live recordings, however, such as Live in Japan and Live in Seattle, that I think Coltrane is at his towering best.

If anyone here likes Interstellar Space, you might find tonight's Jazz on 3 worth tuning into;

Next up is Rashied Ali, who is perhaps best known for his work with
John Coltrane during the last few years of the saxophonist’s life. There’s
music from the duo album they recorded together in 1967 – Interstellar
Space. And, amongst other things, Rashied talks about the recording
session for the album; it was something of a surprise when he arrived at
the studio to find that Coltrane hadn’t invited the rest of the band
along! Ali was in London with his excellent new quintet and the programme
also includes a track from their latest album: Judgement Day Volume 1.

Tantris said:
I have to say that Giant Steps is very overrated IMHO, and that in general I don't find the Coltrane / Atlantic years (as documented by the Heavyweight Champion set) particularly fascinating, although Ole and MFT are very good, obviously.

I feel I ought to challenge you to a duel or something :)

I sort of know what you mean, my first love is the later Impulse records, but there's so much good stuff buried in the Prestige and Atlantic years. And I can't believe anyone doesn't like Giant Steps...

-- Ian

I always recommend starting with Crescent. (a) It's under-rated, and doesn't carry a lot of the baggage of some of the more well-known records; (b) it's one of the finest records anyone will ever own...
...My Favourite Things and Giant Steps in particular are just amazing records.

Well, what can I say. I was gonna draw a line under MFT as the best Trane for me but Hiroshi (@ Early Records) tempted me with some more stuff on impulse! so i had to go for it, ended up with:-

Coltrane - the cover photo alone wins it,
Crescent - (seconded!) Lonnie's Lament and the beautiful Drum Thing
Live At The Village Vanguard Again! - just for Naima of course but the previously impenetrable MFT comes alive (don't know if it's the Japanese pressing or the P9 working it's magic). Trane on soprano, Pharoah on tenor and both have a dabblle on flute! Pure magic.

d

dave charlton said:
Live At The Village Vanguard Again! - just for Naima of course but the previously impenetrable MFT comes alive (don't know if it's the Japanese pressing or the P9 working it's magic). Trane on soprano, Pharoah on tenor and both have a dabblle on flute! Pure magic.

And don't forget Jimmy Garrison's shorts in the cover photo. Reason enough to buy it...

-- Ian

Has anyone mentioned the Savoy sessions with Wilbur Harden on Flugelhorn and the excellent Curtis Fuller on trombone? If not, these are a superb early foray into African-ness. My current copy is a nice Pablo pressing from the seventies that cost me pennies...
Other underrated albums IMHO are the Africa Brass sessions vols1 and 2. I prefer vol 2, which was only released posthumously for whatever reason. Great music that captures Trane balanced on the cusp between the Old and the New. An instant of high creative tension.
Kulu se Mama is my favourite post ALS trane. A brilliant, beautiful piece.

A really nice Atlantic set (but one that may not appeal to more avant hipsters) is Coltrane plays the Blues. This is also a great album that tends to get overlooked.

Well, much to my surprise (I really was expecting to wait 6 weeks for an 'out of stock' email), my 12 LP set turned up this morning. I've just finished 'Giant Steps' (going to work through in order) and, not that I need to tell anyone here, it was fantastic. Looking forward to the next.

A bloody bargain for £70.97, and it still would be even at the current price of about £89.00.

advertisement

Back