advertisement

Coltrane - Ascension jukebox 7"?

Maybe you had to be in New York in the mid 60s. There were plenty of Blue Note singles, and Saturn/Sun Ra produced quite a few, so I'd like to think there were a few juke boxes playing this kind of thing. Village Vanguard? The Cellar Cafe? Slugs Saloon? My knowledge is limited, but there must have been dozens of clubs and venues involved in The New Thing. And yes, I'd liked to have been there too. Not primarily for the juke boxes, but for the live stuff.

Wow, that's something I had no idea was a thing! I wonder which 8 minutes it is? If it starts from the beginning of the album then it has to be a contender for the most in yer face thing ever cut to 7" vinyl! Ascension is an album it took me a long time to get, in fact an album that took me a long time to get beyond the first few minutes, but I seem to have found my peace with it of late. I've got a nice US original copy of Edition II and I recently picked up a copy of the current CD (which sounds great) as it has both versions. It's an amazing album even now, it must have sounded like it was from another planet in 1965!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Gosh, and to think I used to clear Beales Coffee Bar in Swindon with Dizzy Gillespie's Night in Tunisia in 1965 - on the Juke Box. (Motorcyclist hang out)

Nearly everyone left, and surprisingly the owner of the shop was as amused as I was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYXn1DP38s

Great tune....

advertisement

Back