advertisement

Coltrane and Dolphy at the Village Gate, 1961

Ken Micallef really likes it. I’ll certainly grab a copy at some point.

PS Obligatory Amazon link.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Will give this a stream later today and then consider if worth ordering. Thanks for the reminder as I had forgotten it was coming.

The clips I’ve heard are very good, but it is (as I understand it) a one mic mono overhead recording so I’m not sure I want to drop new vinyl money on it. I’ll likely grab the CD once the price drops. Definitely want it as it is musically superb, just not convinced it merits a Tone Poet price tag.

I went for the CD too. It sounds very present, but yes, it's a single ribbon mic above the stage.

On a second listen, I would say it's one of the very best of Trane's early 60s recordings, and I've got all of the known ones to date, including the 12 CDs of Live Trane: Underground put out via the Coltrane mailing list 20 years ago. Amazing gig.

I’ll likely grab the CD once the price drops. Definitely want it as it is musically superb, just not convinced it merits a Tone Poet price tag.

It's a dilemma. The CD makes more sense. But being a bit shallow I want the satisfaction of filing it with my other Trane LPs.

It's a dilemma. The CD makes more sense. But being a bit shallow I want the satisfaction of filing it with my other Trane LPs.

Mine is split pretty evenly between vinyl and CD. My goto Trane live album by far is the Live At Village Vanguard CD box set. That thing is amazing, though sadly seems out of print at present. It’s a really great stereo recording as well as amazing performance (even if Coltrane does keep moving away from his mic!).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My copy should arrive tomorrow. I posted about this back in June in the Jazz Reissues thread after streaming the one available track. I thought it essential for the music, but sound quality seemed acceptable at best. Then it was £39 for the two LP’s on Amazon but only just over £27 on Presto Music. Amazon did drop the price though. It was still a bit more than Presto, but cheaper in total with my free Prime delivery. Plus any problems an easy return via them. Seems to have gone back up a bit. I think Preto gives free postage on over £40 though if you go for both Vinyl & CD.

On a second listen, I would say it's one of the very best of Trane's early 60s recordings, and I've got all of the known ones to date, including the 12 CDs of Live Trane: Underground put out via the Coltrane mailing list 20 years ago. Amazing gig.

Listening on Qobuz this afternoon - stunning playing all the way. Great to hear a live version of Africa.

SQ better than anticipated. The balance isn't perfect, but it captures the energy of the gig with Jones' bass drum right there holding things down. Looking forward to receiving the vinyl set.

advertisement

Back