advertisement

Coltrane - “Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album” - June 28th

If you listen to the interview on the recent Miles/Coltrane last tour box - he talks then about trying to produce a more beautiful, more lyrical sound. I can understand many (most?) people might say he did the exact opposite, but as Tony said I don't believe Trane did this by accident. His direction from A Love Supreme onwards is very, very deliberate to my mind

The physicality of music making is an important, much overlooked part of the process, and yes, embrochure makes a big difference to a reed player's sound. Having said that, almost everything Trane did from leaving Miles onwards was, it seems to me, very deliberate. He knew exactly what he wanted to sound like. That's why he played all the time (bios of Trane are mostly quite dull - he spent almost every waking minute playing). He was trying to get exactly the sound he had in his head. I don't know of many musicians who were so single-minded. That's one aspect of his genius.

Let’s hope the newly resurrected Impulse can get to release at least some of this treasure trove....as Coltrane was signed to Impulse at the time and those sessions were probably all paid for by Impulse they should have the right to release them.

Certainly would make for some amazing “Complete” Editions especially all the Love Supreme tapes.

Just for clarification the session masters remain lost, possibly destroyed when Impulse/ABC moved location. These are mono copy tapes given to Coltrane by VG for personal listening (this is explained in the Wire article).

I’m not surprised master tapes get lost or destroyed, especially when larger companies with checkered ownership histories are involved. And what many labels and companies now call master tapes are probably safety copies or production masters, not what many people on this forum would call a first generation master tape.

I’m just glad something of quality has survived, and it looks like there could be more.

I'm very pleasantly surprised with the quality and its very definitely worth having this lost album"

Just went for the basic CD with no alternate takes etc. Resisted the vinyl too as I reckoned it will just be a digital remaster and transfer of the original analogue tape anyway.

I've got track 4 "Villa" as a bonus on the Live at Birdland CD remaster from '96, which at that time was thought to be only surviving master from the session.

Resisted the vinyl too as I reckoned it will just be a digital remaster and transfer of the original analogue tape anyway.

Yeah, but you get a poster with it. I don't often buy contemporary vinyl (it's expensive, and usually digital), but I thought this was worthy regardless.

Stereophile review, and some interesting photos of VG studio as it is today:

https://www.stereophile.com/content...tions-once-lost-album-debuts-englewood-cliffs

My single LP has arrived (couldn’t resist that cover photo), but can’t listen until tomorrow. Meanwhile the bonus BBC material on Derek Bailey’s Aida (Honest Jon’s reissue) is brilliant, and funny. Haven’t compared the actual LP with my Nimbus original, but the extra LP is worth the admission price if you’re into DB at his peak.

I’m very much enjoying this - the local record store only had the double vinyl in stock and it felt wrong to resist.
The sound is excellent - better than a lot of 2018 records - and the music, while not always totally top notch Coltrane - is mostly pretty fantastic.
Playing it back to back with the recent Miles Davis bootleg issue and the live ‘61 European tour recordings with Eric Dolphy, I’m struck by how Coltrane here feels more controlled and restrained in his playing.

Need to get round to buying this... does the vinyl 2xLP have a download code?
Not in my copy. I’m so used to getting these with new vinyl I feel a bit shortchanged when there isn’t one. That said, after a couple of listens, this is so good I’m feeling quite forgiving.

It has made me ponder why I still seek out new jazz rather than going back to the source. I could (should) be quite happy with Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Shorter, Mingus, Ornette, Evans, Dolphy and nothing from after ‘67.

Kevin

Not in my copy. I’m so used to getting these with new vinyl I feel a bit shortchanged when there isn’t one. That said, after a couple of listens, this is so good I’m feeling quite forgiving.

It has made me ponder why I still seek out new jazz rather than going back to the source. I could (should) be quite happy with Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Shorter, Mingus, Ornette, Evans, Dolphy and nothing from after ‘67.

Kevin
That’s the trouble with jazz: it kind of feels like a completed project.

I won’t get a chance to listen to this for a couple of days so I’m fixating on the packaging. Inventive and properly thought through design, which made me think that maybe Impulse! has found a champion at UMC who’ll take proper care of the legacy. But the sleeves are so thin...So maybe not. These things matter!

Damn it to hell, my copy is not scheduled to arrived until July 4-5. Where did you lot order it from? Curses on Amazon for keeping me waiting.

advertisement

Back