advertisement

Coloured Vinyl

Ha-ha! Sid, that looks great.

My TT has been bollockless for a number of years now, p'raps I should get a copy.

I heard a late 50’s jazz album at a colleague’s house recently. Can’t remember what it was except it was pressed on transparent yellow vinyl and sounded fantastic. It was dynamic, open and sounded like it was made yesterday. It wasn’t, because he bought it new in 1960 or thereabouts.

I have always been a sucker for coloured vinyl, especially if transparent. Some of it is very good indeed, Ryko’s Bowie reissues for example. Some not so good, my original transparent Faust album (haven’t played it for ages, I prefer ‘So Far’). Having said that, we always enjoyed watching the first Faust album going round on the turntable with its curious backward and forward motion. We were easily pleased in the early seventies.

I have wanted a copy of the first Hapsash and the Coloured Coat album on red vinyl (1967) since 1970 but I have never found one at a price I was prepared to pay. Their 2nd album is far more listenable and arguably much better but is in boring black.

I am not a great Beatles fan but I couldn’t resist getting the white album on white vinyl back in the late seventies/early eighties. It sounds ok. I have a copy of the Yellow Submarine album on yellow vinyl (of course), however that has some great George Harrison tracks on.

Long live vinyl and if it’s coloured it’s even more fun…

advertisement

Back