advertisement

Coloured equipment ?

Do you like coloured equipment?

• Yay

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
Nay I like a wood finish, However I have painted the wall between the speakers black, which is most satisfactory.

Most speakers were wood veneer (which I really like)...

I wish people still provided wooden finish for amps, tuners, etc. But then I still love the look of ye olde Armstrong 600 units! You even got a choice of the type of 'tree'. Bugger to fit during assembly, though.

I like a bit of colour (if you count white as a colour). Have a piano white RP6, and wanted piano white RS3's, but they got discontinued, so went for satin white Kudos X2's. But the (Cyrus) boxes are black.

English Acoustics paint their amplifiers in a wide range of colours. They're located next to a car dealership and they select a lot of car colours and have the chassis painted by the body shop.

I once had a pair of black speakers I stripped & painted a glossy deep olive green, beautiful. I left the baffle grey.

I've always liked the idea of an orange Rega P3-24 to go next to my black Yamaha amplifier 🍊◼️

I like dark blue (not navy) too. Every so often I regret not buying a dark blue SL-1200 when they were available. It would work next to either a black or silver amplifier (not so much next to my teak A60!). The dark blue I'm thinking of would also work well next to orange 🍊💙

I’d love to change the colour of my turntable to orange or burnt sienna.
🧡

My hi-fi separates have a mixture of black, silver and various wood finishes.
The most colourful items are the interconnects which are bright red.

I don’t require the separates to match. I didn’t want an all black turntable as I want to be able to see what I am doing easily in low light.

Jamo R909s:

0b888e5d6f342ba80c851c59de9529d7

I originally demo'd (and loved) a yellow pair; I wanted a red pair; I ended up (and still have) a black pair.

Yellow is actually the correct answer.

PS I heard these decades ago and really liked them. One of the better sounds at whatever show it was. I’d have expected not to like them as I’m usually not a fan of a big tall stack of drivers, but they were good and sounded very coherent to me.

I think there's a temptation to fixate on primary or bright colours but gear can potentially be any colour.

One of the members of Lenco Heaven resprayed the top plate of his L75 a light mint green. It looked great and really gave it a cool 1950s vibe.

I am very boring, all my kit is either black or a natural wood finish. I did like the orange finish that Focal used on some speakers a few years ago but never considered buying any for a variety of reasons.

I think the strength and weakness of individually coloured items of Hi-Fi are the same thing.

We all have very individual tastes. There are things most people are un-offended by but the things we actively like are much more personal and context specific. Magnolia in a new house looks fine but most people soon change it, these days virtually always to some shade of fechin grey! The more personal something becomes, the smaller the number of other people it will appeal to. The problem is that many people just don't seem to understand this. Because they really love their modified car, with bright red painted engine covers and over-sized wheels, they're mystified as to why no one else wants to buy it.

So I don't have any problem with bright pink speakers or yellow LP12 plinth, if that's what matches your curtains then great. Just don't complain when you come to sell it and nobody wants it.

The problem is that many people just don't seem to understand this. Because they really love their modified car, with bright red painted engine covers and over-sized wheels, they're mystified as to why no one else wants to buy it.
Depends dunnit. If you're buying a Kazasaki Ninja you obviously want it to be bright green.

Yellow is actually the correct answer.

PS I heard these decades ago and really liked them. One of the better sounds at whatever show it was. I’d have expected not to like them as I’m usually not a fan of a big tall stack of drivers, but they were good and sounded very coherent to me.
It was probably the show I first heard them (near Silverstone?). They were a yellow pair, but the Blue Note releases I heard playing through them convinced me that these were just perfect for a jazz lover.

EDIT: Whittlebury, 2010 I think.

advertisement

Back