advertisement

Collaro audio precision turntable mat.

[Moderating]
I've merged the two identical threads...sorry for any untidiness caused. I'm aware there is yet another thread out there too!

[Edit]
Sod it. I've merged them both into Dave's original thread from last year.

Thanks for your replies, I'll have a look through the previous threads as well. I just don't get the science behind it, but I guess the VTA change could be it.
Just as an FYI, should the Collaro mat be 1mm thinner than Linn's standard offering then VTA/SRA will increase by 0.25º. In layman's terms, this equates to one quarter of SFA.

On the other hand, should the Collaro mat be 1mm thicker than Linn's standard offering then VTA/SRA will decrease by 0.25º.

Fact: To affect a 1º change in VTA/SRA with a circa 229mm effective length tonearm would require a 6mm change in height at one end or the other. I say 'fact', as calculating angular change is simple radians vs. degrees maths that most of us have learned and long ago forgotten.

Alternatively, according to 'Rega VTA Fact Sheet' by Roy Gandy*, a 1.5º change in VTA can be had by altering VTF by approx 0.1g with 'normal' cartridges (I've always assumed that Gandy's 'normal' equates to 'average' wrt compliance here).

* Presumably, also covered in 'A Vibration Measuring Machine' by Philpot, Messenger, and Gandy.

It's no secret that I'm very definitely an ex Linn owner and no fanboy...

But it intrigues me that Linn have spent a fortune on R&D on pretty much every other component. I can only assume that the mat does the job perfectly well!
The mat that Linn uses on the LP12 has changed over the years. The one I acquired several years ago I believe is the most current iteration. I’m pretty sure it’s a bit thinner and the composition of the material different as well.

The mat that Linn uses on the LP12 has changed over the years. The one I acquired several years ago I believe is the most current iteration. I’m pretty sure it’s a bit thinner and the composition of the material different as well.
But make sure you don't put it on upside-down!

Had so may hues, textures and styles of mats, ah was at the " if it's cork , it must be Tuesday " scenario. Then I got my "'til I die" turntable. The guy who built it and sold it to me , told me, "Save yer money, on turntable mats, spend it on nice wine. Ye don't need them" He confirmed my belief that VTA was a paper tiger. True to his word, he did not supply a mat with my turntable and I have not used one since...:cool:

Had so may hues, textures and styles of mats, ah was at the " if it's cork , it must be Tuesday " scenario. Then I got my "'til I die" turntable. The guy who built it and sold it to me , told me, "Save yer money, on turntable mats, spend it on nice wine. Ye don't need them" He confirmed my belief that VTA was a paper tiger. True to his word, he did not supply a mat with my turntable and I have not used one since...:cool:
Name and shame him? :)

Probably just changed suppliers. If they'd actually improved it the thing would be called the Kmat now.
Perhaps an excess of mercurous nitrate and they could call it Manik?

mad-hatter.jpg

advertisement

Back