advertisement

Colin Wonfor's EWA kit amps - some thoughts

29mile

pfm Member
Colin Wonfor of EWA kindly asked me to listen to one of his new kit amps. A diminutive kit amp is an excellent example to show off Colin Wonfor's ingenuity and unsung skill as an audio engineer. It is a basic no frills stereo amp with no on/off switch or on light to speak off. I have the 15W A/B class version with an 80va transformer which is in the middle of the range between a 5W SECA pure Class A one and the 30W A/B version (using an 120va transformer). There is also a 5W SECA sliding into 30W A/B amp and the option to add an Alps volume control to all amps making a standalone stereo amp. Ideal for an office or bedroom system but with the right matching gear also capable of producing a very accomplished main rig sound where budgets are tight.

Even from cold the staging and musicality staple features off all Colin's amp stand out immediately. Yes it is a little rough around the edges but this is from a brand new amp with no run-in time on the caps or electronics. But despite its mere 15W this amp was capable of driving my Ruark Crusader 2 three way 88db speakers ( no mean feat ) without any hardness or strain. The stereo imaging is quite stunning for such a small piece of kit and the famous EWA bass is more than adequate being deep and taut. Resolution is excellent and the amp has a very fluent fast delivery. Capable of dealing with all music genres it may not look much cosmetically but boy does it sing. Complex classical symphonies are coherent and logical while simpler jazz or folk recordings come to life with rock solid imaging and placement. Equally vocals sound real and alive. Sound staging is both wide and deep giving you a real involvement in the music making and a 'you are there' experience - quite an accomplishment for a small black box. Whilst unfair a comparison with my existing EWA A40 amp does not markedly embarrass the kit amp. Of course the A40 has more a refined sophisticated signature and a more airy sound but otherwise the lower class kit amp holds it own very well. The 15w amp is imho another true audiophile bargain from the Wonfor stable !

Please contact Colin @Colin Wonfor for more details of the full range. You won't be disappointed.

Just completed a higher damping version about 1000. Used 47KuF high speed driver 140Mhz bw and high speed low Vf diodes 0.25v in PSU.
Now deep fast solid bass.
Also had to fit much more precise temp control mini pcb .
In a M50 chassis with Cu base plate heating.
Mervyn will get a listen soon and Clive of coarse.

Hi 67 do you understand peak high speed current demands and impedance of mains cables then? Or is 50 - 400Hz the limit? And also a wide understanding of RFI and EMC solutions ?Oh and not forgetting dielectric drag?
If you do please please tell us more.
Thank you.

advertisement

Back