advertisement

Cleaning vintage gear

33.3rpm

pfm Member
I bought a single Quad II a while back which is so clean it looks like new. Wanted a partner for it and recently scored a pair which had been dormant for a number of years. They are very original (all original GEC and Mullard valves) but they are a bit rough and corrosion has started eating the paint. I thought I would give them a light clean, get the years of dust off the valves, etc. what I didn’t realise is that the text markings on the valves is very delicate, almost like chalk, and have managed to wipe away some of it. I took some foam cleanser and then Silvo wadding to the paint and it has taken the corrosion back and cleaned up the paint somewhat but has as also removed one of the valve markings (gz32) and given the paint a sheen. Although I can’t reverse it now I think I would have preferred it all in its tatty original dulled state as now some of the history and originality is gone and it’s somewhere in between untouched and now requiring new paint. Perhaps sometimes it’s best to leave alone and enjoy it for what it is.

It is always tricky with metal corrosion what to do. Probably the best way is to just stablise it and let the bit of hifi wear it like a badge of time. Clearly that doesn't work if the corrosion effects the why the hifi works/sounds.

I bought a pair of pretty much untouched Quad IIs. Testing the resistor and capacitor values some of them needed replacing, so without wholesale replacement it is a sympathetic job to only change those that need changing. However, there were a few fishies that were horrified that I was replacing components. Their take was the amp should be put in a glass cage and admired from a distance. Well, that's not going to be the way to actually use the amp, and I would rather change a couple of components rather than risk a wayward/failing vintage component taking out something like the mains or OP transformer.

Having said that, there are plenty of butchered Quad IIs out there in a much worse state than a quick clean could ever do to one.

As you have found, these things need a sensitive approach.

I've seen a few people use what I assume are water slide transfers on repainted ST20 chassis. Perhaps the same thing is available for the Quads to replace the missing valve marking.

I would rather change a couple of components rather than risk a wayward/failing vintage component taking out something like the mains or OP transformer.
Same here. I would like to use them and making them safe and reliable in use is priority for me. I think I will leave the paint alone now and concentrate on getting valves checked and critical components replaced.

It is always tricky with metal corrosion what to do. Probably the best way is to just stablise it and let the bit of hifi wear it like a badge of time. Clearly that doesn't work if the corrosion effects the why the hifi works/sounds.
I was sorely tempted to refinish the top lid of my vintage Pioneer C-21, which had developed some patchiness and what appears to be under-surface corrosion in a few places. But it is completely stable, and I'm glad I didn't. The patina wears well with time, and it looks proper vintage (late 1970s).

advertisement

Back