advertisement

cleaning record sleeves

Rockmeister

pfm Member
I have about 350 to do. Some are near mint, some date back 60 years and are 'well used'.
I'm not a conservationist as such. If they need glue i apply glue. My past method has been warm water and a little soap. Gentle ordinary soap, then a damp cloth rinse and hang on the washing line to dry.
It works well. I then put then inside plastic covers and that's it.

However, my pal has just given up records and donated me his 50 or 60 as well, and I want to care for them as best as possible, so what method is suggested for the covers please, and if it saves time, I'd be glad. You know, that miracle spray that makes every shine like new whilst protecting them for another 100 years:)

Thanks.

I'm curious too. I've used IPA (carefully) on laminated sleeves with some success. A good plastic eraser can help lift marks on unprinted white areas of unlaminated sleeves. I err on the side of caution though - it's all too easy to make things worse!

I use a standard UHU type clear glue on unglued seams (never attempt to repair a seam split, you will lose value). For cleaning naphtha or a heat-gun to remove labels (you learn which with time), Servisol Foam Cleanser 30 for laminated sleeve or a artist’s putty rubber for matt. Nothing more aggressive than that. Never ever tape a sleeve. It absolutely destroys collector value. Basically do nothing destructive or dishonest as that is effectively grade-tampering.

Servisol on order. The factory opens tomorrow.
I reckon I can do 6 an hour including covers, so if I manage an hour a day I''ll be all done by mid June:)

I'm not selling them Tony. One day when i pop off, they'll be in the will :)

I'm not selling them Tony. One day when i pop off, they'll be in the will :)

Fair enough, but the approach taken now may well impact potential value later. I’ve had to dash people’s hopes at times by pointing out that the name written on the sleeve, the sellotaped seam-split, attempt to recolour a black sleeve with a marker or whatever has simply destroyed any collector value an otherwise valuable record may have had. Collectors will always favour honest ageing and grading over repair unless (as in properly removing a sticker or regluing an unglued cover seam) they really can not be detected in any way even by an expert grader.

Fair enough, but the approach taken now may well impact potential value later. I’ve had to dash people’s hopes at times by pointing out that the name written on the sleeve, the sellotaped seam-split, attempt to recolour a black sleeve with a marker or whatever has simply destroyed any collector value an otherwise valuable record may have had. Collectors will always favour honest ageing and grading over repair unless (as in properly removing a sticker or regluing an unglued cover seam) they really can not be detected in any way even by an expert grader.
I will be careful. My family have no interest in Vinyl, so in reality I have no idea what will happen to them or anything else! But I’ll do a good job I hope, just because that’s more satisfying anyway.

advertisement

Back