advertisement

Cleaning one's chandeliers

MikeMA

pfm Member
I was going to post this in the "What are you going to do whilst in lockdown III?" thread, but with lockdown coming to an end I thought it might warrant a thread on its own.

About fifteen years ago after a winter holiday in Venice involving the night-time sighting of many dramatic chandeliers in canal-side palazzi, Mrs MikeMA thought it would be a good idea if we had a couple of our own. Fifteen years later and I can no longer avoid the fact that they are covered in cobwebs and dust, and something needs to be done.

In between fretting about Sir Kier Starmer and what sort of Porsche to get next, what do pfm'ers do about cleaning their chandeliers? Do you simply not bother, d-i-y, or get a man in? I've just spent the best part of two days dismantling and cleaning one and I really don't fancy doing it again!

I was going to post this in the "What are you going to do whilst in lockdown III?" thread, but with lockdown coming to an end I thought it might warrant a thread on its own.

About fifteen years ago after a winter holiday in Venice involving the night-time sighting of many dramatic chandeliers in canal-side palazzi, Mrs MikeMA thought it would be a good idea if we had a couple of our own. Fifteen years later and I can no longer avoid the fact that they are covered in cobwebs and dust, and something needs to be done.

In between fretting about Sir Kier Starmer and what sort of Porsche to get next, what do pfm'ers do about cleaning their chandeliers? Do you simply not bother, d-i-y, or get a man in? I've just spent the best part of two days dismantling and cleaning one and I really don't fancy doing it again!

Blast them with a can of compressed air and distribute all that lovely oose around your room. :)

I also have fancy venitian glass chandelier. Instead of using commercial prep try what I use.

Get a bottle of fizzy sparkling water from a supermarket.

Put t waterproof plastic underneath, and cover the plastic with newspaper.

Turn off the electricity.

Put the water into a spray bottle.

Spray the chandelier.

You should find one try sufficient. If not, get a clean sponge and give the glass a gentle rub. Spray again.

I do mine once a year.

First remove your candles. Protect any suits of armour, tapestries etc. Summon a sturdy member of the staff (I generally pick the blacksmith), ask him to lower a long, flexible pipe into the moat and connect the upper end to a stirrup pump. Tell him to pump vigorously while another staff member aims the stream of water at each of the chandeliers in turn. Make sure there is an escape route for any surprised bats or owls who may be lurking in the darkest recesses of the ceiling. When the operation is complete, swab down the flagstones with a stiff brush, pushing the water through the sluice gates back out into the moat. Replace the candles. Clean chandeliers and floor - two jobs in one.

I also have fancy venitian glass chandelier. Instead of using commercial prep try what I use.

Get a bottle of fizzy sparkling water from a supermarket.

Put t waterproof plastic underneath, and cover the plastic with newspaper.

Turn off the electricity.

Put the water into a spray bottle.

Spray the chandelier.

You should find one try sufficient. If not, get a clean sponge and give the glass a gentle rub. Spray again.

I do mine once a year.

My chandeliers are electric, so strictly speaking they are electroliers, and I'm unsure about this suggested use of liberally sprayed quantities of water-based cleaning products. Plus the many lamp holders are surrounded by crystal bowl shaped appurtenances, currently full of dust and dead flies. I'm not entirely convinced that these would be properly cleaned by any process of spraying and subsequent liquefaction of the contents.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My chandeliers are electric, so strictly speaking they are electroliers, and I'm unsure about this suggested use of liberally sprayed quantities of water-based cleaning products. Plus the many lamp holders are surrounded by crystal bowl shaped appurtenances, currently full of dust and dead flies. I'm not entirely convinced that these would be properly cleaned by any process of spraying and subsequent liquefaction of the contents.

Stepladder, soft brush attachment on the hoover, followed by wipe with a damp cloth or glass cleaning wipe thingy for you then. Make sure you thank Mrs MikeMA for giving you the opportunity to carry out this character building task.

When I first saw the title of this thread I honestly thought it was about personal hygiene and cleaning ones dangly bits in the nether regions.

I thought one normally gets one's maid in suitably short skirt and fishnets to apply a feather duster to said whilst perching on a wobbly stool or some such.

Or perhaps one doesn't live in a '70s second feature .....

Mine also. I did not wish to get too much into technicalities, initially.

I always lift off the bowls first, put them in a large plastic basin with a drop of fairy liquid. Leave them to soak for a while. Then, give a quick brush with fingers, and rinse off under tap. When dry, put back in place (after chandelier has dripped off all fizzy water). I usually leave at least 6 hours or overnight before turning on the elec.

If you want to be extra cautious you could fit each electric candle with a condom. I haven't ever bothered.

While I am at it, may I add that I have rewired all my 'candles' to take mains bayonet sockets. I than fitted them with 'pigmy' bulbs. My chandelier is switched on by a dimmer. I dim to the lowest voltage - reulting in a lovely orange glow.

Depends on how mucky they get and how quickly.
We used to always remove and disassemble for cleaning but only needed to do so once a year.
Here, if we had any, that would be every three months, minimum! Sea air, humidity, heat and dust are a formidable natural enemy. No complicated designs allowed, where the nooks and crannies would most likely corrode anyway.

advertisement

Back