advertisement

Classical vinyl sound; worth pursuing?

raysablade

pfm Member
I’m a happy but passive Radio 3 listener and on the rare occasion I buy classical music it is opera on cd or streamed. However a few months ago I was on my way home from the chemist and found our local Oxfam had a boxed set of mid 70s Alfred Brendel renditions of the Beethoven Piano Sonatas on the Philips Red label (6768 004 13LP). It seemed unplayed and for 26 pristine sides £14.99 was a daft price, so I took it home.

Since then rarely a week has gone by when I have played at least a side, it seems to suit my RP6/ Sugden/ Falcon system perfectly and at around 20 mins a side is beautifully digestible. I’ve tried streaming the same recordings and the vinyl sounds better to me.

I was wondering if it is worth seeking out other stuff on the Philips Red and similar labels to gain further joy from classical vinyl or rest on my laurels and go back to sleep nursing my good fortune? The local auction houses seem to have pallets full of the stuff.

I'm not much of a classical listener but I often wish I was. I regularly see stacks of classical vinyl for a quid a pop in charity shops. Seems like the last bargain out there.

At the prices they ask for it I'd be inclined to just have fun picking up stuff you like the look of and trying it out. If it's a duffer you can always donate it back.

If it's cheap then what's the harm..... but the problem with classical music on vinyl is surface noise is so much more apparent, pops scratches clicks are much more of a nuisance than with loud pop music.

I've got so many LPs from 2nd hand sources that I can hardly bear to listen to, one day a lot of it will be going back to Oxfam!

.. but the problem with classical music on vinyl is surface noise is so much more apparent, pops scratches clicks are much more of a nuisance than with loud pop music.
I guess that is something to look out for and hard to avoid buying in bulk. A big advantage of the essentially new set I bought is the complete absence of anything but music from the speakers.

Classical vinyl is hopelessly undervalued at present. Lots of lovely stuff available for so little money. Ot was always nicely pressed and most classical listeners had nice quality audio kit. Box sets such as the one mentioned are especially good value as chances are about half the records are unplayed! The problems come with longer pieces that can’t be easily split and just play for longer than vinyl’s ideal of 20 minutes a side. Some pieces clock up over 30 minutes a side which means signal level and dynamic range drops and surface noise rises. If you choose well there is some amazing sounding stuff out there.

PS I always have a nice selection for sale in the pfm record shop!

Love vinyl, but piano music fails miserably on vinyl IMO. The slightest - and I mean slightest - groove eccentricity, translating as pitch deficiencies, gives me sea sickness. That and surface noise, even on the best pressings/stylus profiles/turntables. Digital, in all its formarts, was invented for five reasons:

To fit a complete symphony or extended work without interruption
Piano music in general
Everything by Morton Feldman
Everything by John Cage
Electroacoustic music

Having said all that, if you want to have some fun at a pound a pop, (forgive the pun), then why not?

advertisement

Back