advertisement

Classical vinyl in Liverpool

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
Not wanting to direct your business away from Tony L, but if you happen to be in Liverpoool (as I was last week) there's a 'rare books' shop just outside Lime Street station that has a reasonable selection of classical LPs, with a selection of bargain bin items at 50p and a fair number of box sets. I didn't buy any myself but managed to haggle on a book price, so try your luck. It may not be there much longer, as (I think) that row of shops is due for demolition/relocation as part of the 'tart up Liverpool for 2008' process.

Henry Bohn's is a great shop, I've bought tons of LPs there in the past. The guy who runs it is also a collector so will often buy whole collections just to get a few bits for himself and just looks to move the rest on as fast as possible. I always check that shop out when I'm in Liverpool and seldom come back with nothing.

Tony.

The bloke in charge of the shop was having a fascinating chat with some customers about corruption in local government whilst I was in there. I could hardly tear myself away, but had a train to catch!

I found myself in this shop this morning, while waiting for my new passport. I picked up the Juilliard '63 set of the Bartok quartets on 3 LPs, for a grand total of 1.50! He also had several Melodiya sets for next to nothing.

advertisement

Back