advertisement

Classical Tasting Menu (for the classically illiterate)

I suspect that's because the really old stuff and the relatively new stuff often has a few rough edges in the way hardcore punk or free jazz does.
What you certainly find is that performers of early music also perform contemporary music - I've discussed it with musicians and I've never got a clear answer why. By coincidence as I type this I'm listening to Hilliard Ensemble do Arvo Pärt's Sarah was 90 Years Old.

Oh nice, an overwhelming response. Thanks very much everyone.

Sunday morning, after I've finished watching grown men brutally assault each other (UFC) I'm going to get some yin for my yang (or whatever it is) and go through this thread post by post. Should be a good launch pad down this rabbit hole.

This week I did stumble upon these two albums which struck a chord, probably obvious stuff to you seasoned listeners, but new to me (in terms of actually putting it on a sitting down and listening):

Goose bumps, just really pretty ...
Air: The Bach Album - Anne Akiko Meyers

And this, with the vol cranked was actually thrilling, which is a whole new audio experience for me. It was a "ahhh, so that's what actual dynamics are..." moment:
The Club Album (Live From Yellow Lounge) - Anne-Sophie Mutter

advertisement

Back