advertisement

Classical - Sept 2004

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
Well, let's kick it off then Tantris and see where we go. I do like the idea of a weekly or monthly theme rather than blanket-bombing on classical only because it will force us to focus, seek out and listen or stay with something keeping the powder dry on all else. Hopefully moving on afresh to another topic means we will not post on everything and lose it all after a month.

So let's go with your string quartets of which I will be blissfully ignorant but will probably discover I have a few tucked away. Suggest we post on piano separately.

Paul
--------------------------------------------------------
The new pfm - with a bit more self-raising....

Balanescu Quartet!!
Get their album 'Possessed' (Mute records) for some cracking Kraftwerk renditions.

Kronos Quartet
I've only got one of theirs - Caravan - which is a mix of modern composers and World music.

OK, Paul, here goes.

Here is a short introduction to some great pieces of music written in the 20th and 21st centuries. I’ve done this in the form of a list with a few comments from me on each item with a link to Amazon where possible, mainly to save time and in order to avoid being too wordy. With any luck, someone will find something of interest in an area of music which is often unfairly labelled as difficult or obscure. There are loads of works that I have not mentioned, and I’m hoping that there will be some responses which will lead me to explore works that I haven’t yet come across.

I’ll start with Boulez’s
Le Marteau sans Maitre, a setting of surreal, erotic poetry for soprano, with a chamber orchestra of flute, guitar, xylorimba, vibraphone, viola and percussion. It is impossible to pin this music down – it is perfectly structured, while also being inscrutable and ambiguous. It is frequently very beautiful to listen to – it is never dissonant or violent, for example, but it can at times be unsettling for reasons that are hard to define. It continues to polarise opinion, but is undeniably one of the most important works of the twentieth century, and is an absolute must try;

B000065EQ8.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

... and here are some great piano works;

Shostakovich’s
24 preludes and fugues, op.87. Modelled on Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier, Shostakovich makes each piece like an individual film noir. The best version is by Tatiana Nikolayeva, for whom this was written, available at bargain basement price;

B00009AQNL.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Messiaen’s Catalogue d’Oiseaux.. Probably the most important piano work of the twentieth century, bar none. On the surface, a collection of bird song – and there is something faintly ridiculous about the image of a Frenchman in beret perched half way up a tree at 3am trying to work out of an owl hoots in F sharp or G – this is an incredibly powerful response of the imagination to nature and the landscape. The best version is Peter Hill's set, linked above, available at a really silly price together with Messiaen’s other and better known piano works such as Vingt Regards sur l’Enfant Jesus, and Visions de l’Amen. BTW, I'm very interested in finding vinyl copies of Messiaen's piano music, played either by Peter Hill or Yvonne Loriod - please let me know if you come across something that might be of interest.

A piano cycle that will probably end up being one of the key works of the early 21st century was released a few months ago – this is James Dillon’s The Book of Elements. I could go on about this work for hours – like most great music, it is elusive and lyrical and defies description. Do yourself a favour and try this – you will not regret it;

B00028DP98.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Michael Finnissy stands with James Dillon as one of the most significant British composers now writing. Only part of his piano cycle, The History of Photography in Sound, has so far been recorded on this CD, Etched Bright with Sunlight, but this will probably end up being another landmark piece of the 21st century.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
... moving on to some key string quartets, two giants to begin with, Bartok and Shostakovich.

Bartok’s quartets rank amongst the greatest ever written. They are initially difficult to approach, as they are spiky, dissonant and angular, but the more you listen, the more you hear the folk rhythms, the dance music, the wit and satire that underpins the music, and eventually you realise that this is supremely lyrical music. In the 6th quartet, Charlie Chaplin makes a cameo appearance, for example. There are many excellent sets available – I have always liked the unfashionable Lindsays.

Shostakovich’s quartets are akin to a personal diary throughout his life, and contain all his inner anguish and despair, and his response to some of the cataclysmic events that occurred in Russia – no. 8, for example, is a harrowing account of the terror of WW2. There are only two sets worth considering, either the Borodin Quartet, who worked over a long period with the composer, or the Fitzwilliam Quartet's cycle, which can often be found at bargain price.

Elliott Carter used the string quartet to create his own unique musical language, and his cycle represents better than many the neuroses and frustrations of post WW2 America. This is undeniably difficult music – dense, complex, thorny, but is probably some of the best and most original music to have come out of America. His recent Piano Quintet is a very strong work - and if you are lucky, you may catch the Arditti Quartet playing this in concert.

For a complete contrast, try the string quartets of Xenakis. On the surface, this is difficult, impossible music, but repeated listening reveals structure – both mathematical and architectural (for example, representations of fractal forms), and a response to the ritual of Greek tragedy, which explains some of the raw, primal abrasiveness of the music. Xenakis’ instructions to performers of his music were to avoid playing beautifully at all costs. This set is one of the landmark recordings of his music.

If you find you like that, then also consider trying Guerrero’s Zayin which is altogether more abrasive and makes Xenakis look positively cuddly in comparison. I can guarantee clearing my listening room by playing this;

B00003Z9US.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I’ve mentioned James Dillon’s piano cycle above, but his work for string quartet is also worth exploring. His second string quartet has a will’o’the wisp character which is quite unique;

B0000501BC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Brian Ferneyhough is often spoken about with some trepidation – he is a formidable, implacable post-modernist who writes incredibly complex music that places enormous demands on the performers. This set of the early quartets shows him at his best, and some of the works are reasonably accessible.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Finally, one orchestral piece. I’ve always liked the music of Harrison Birtwistle, and this recent release in the DG 20/21 series combines one of his newer pieces, Theseus Game (featuring two orchestras with two conductors), which is very representative of his obsession with ritual and Greek dramatic tragedy, with a cracking performance by Boulez of Earth Dances, which is a bit like the Rite of Spring on steroids.

B0002ANQWW.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Enjoy!

I know none of those you have posted! Much appreciated though, looks like a trip into HMV and Tower Records to track one or two down and I'll then post. I'll trawl trough my vinyl and see what I hav picked up without being aware of it too. I have much vinyl I have not got near simply down to pattern of life this past year.

I like the fact that you are recommending pieces which draw one's attention even if not conventionally lyrical or sweetly melodic. The ilk of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto will never lose its appeal for me but the abrasiveness of Bax, reminiscing of an Old England that probably never existed anyway that Vaughn-Williams seems to invoke or near-meditation that Prokofiev invokes means I look foward to exploring your recommendations.

Piano has remained pretty conventional for me this year with various Tamas Vasary Chopin albums on DG Tulip getting regular play, leaving larger concerto pieces out of it for the moment. I still have not tracked down the Bach-Busoni Chaconne which captivated me years ago at a local concert by a young lady whose name I have long since fogotten.

Paul

Excellent stuff, Tantris. I like the look (Sound?) of these and have added them to my hunt list.
I really like the Bartok I've heard, but am always confised as to which is the version to get. Any more suggestions?
As I'm also interested in Greek tragedy and ritual, I will be making extra efforts to track down the Birtwhistle (but the Boulez sounds very promising, too).
More, please!

Battlelines in the Bartok quartets tend to get drawn in the Bartok quartets between groups that either have or don't have Hungarian members.
This set by the Takacs Quartet consistently gets to the top of the critical pile, possibly conveniently as two of its members are Hungarian. Whatever - the quality of playing and recording is excellent and it's a good place to start.

If you do like the Boulez recommended above, then another piece worth investigating (and easier to find), is his Pli selon Pli ;

B0000630Q9.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you like the Birtwistle mentioned above, then it might be worth checking out his Mask of Orpheus which is also based on Greek myth;

B000026745.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Mask of Orpheus happens to be my favourite Birtwistle piece, but it is gargantuan and ferociously complex, so I'd recommending starting with the DG 20/21 disc with Theseus Game and Earth Dances. I have so far missed all performances of his new work, The Io Passion, which I hope gets recorded soon, but with luck this will get an airing at this year's Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival.

I still have not tracked down the Bach-Busoni Chaconne which captivated me years ago at a local concert by a young lady whose name I have long since fogotten.

Paul -- the only Busoni I know is on this ECM disc of music for two pianos. Well worth checking out. In fact, as it's Sunday morning, I'm going to turn my PC off now and go and listen to it -- Cheers, T

Tippets quartets are well worth seeking out, as are Brittens. Shostokovitch and Bartok are pretty much staples of the repertory now. Barber wrote a lovely quartet, look out for the Vermeer's playing it, I think it's on the Naim label. In fact look out for the Vermeer quartet playing anything they're phenomenal. Mind you I'm biased I had lessons off the viola player.

Anyone who loves the Bartok and Shostakovich quartets (as I do) should give a listen to the quartet series of Schnittke and Ligeti as well.

Ligeti has two quartets and some duets, which the Arditti String Quartet put together on a single CD a few years ago:
B0000029OY.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

To me, the similarity with Bartok's quartets is marked (esp. B.'s 2nd and 3rd). The obvious influence notwithstanding, these are fine pieces on their own.

Schnittke wrote three quartets, now available on several recordings. I know only the Tale Quartet's rendition on BIS (the first complete set, I think).

S.'s first Quartet is a bit tough going -- not unlike the Xenakis Quartets that Tantris mentioned. #2 and 3 are, again strongly reminiscent of Bartok and also Shos.
B0000016G2.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Has anyone heard the quartets of Sofia Gubaidulina? She has apparently written several, but I have yet to hear one (I like her Orchestral work).

Eric -- for some reason I've never got into Ligeti, but I wholeheartedly agree with you on Schnittke. The Tale set is excellent - that was my introduction to Schnittke, but many would say that the definitive set is by the Kronos Quartet, and this set has the bonus of including the fourth quartet;
B000006E4L.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I only know a little of Gubaidulina's work, but this disc, once again by the Arditti Quartet, gives a good performance of her only(?) string quartet, together with other pieces by Lutoslawski and Kurtag. I particularly like the way that Gubaidulina extends this whole quartet from a simple sustained G. I've also been listening to some of the Gubaidulina that's been covered in the DG 20/21 series - the disc by Gidon Kremer of her Offertorium bears repeated listening;
B000066I9E.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's no coincidence that the Arditti Quartet is mentioned frequently when this kind of music is discussed, and I have managed to collect almost all of their recordings, including their complete edition on Montaigne Naive. They are quite different in approach to the Kronos, who are more folky and who entertain crossover projects. It is great, however, to see new quartets now emerging taking on the mantle of the Arditti - I noticed today that the Diotima Quartet, whom I had not heard of before, are playing at this year's Huddersfield festival, in a concert of Ferneyhough, Nono, et alia.

-- T

Tantris,

Thanks for that reference to the Gubaidulina, Lutoslawski, and Kurtag chamber music disc. I like Lutoslawski's orchestral work (I have the little series of his stuff on Naxos) but, again, don't know much of his chamber pieces. May have to give this one a try.

It looks like Gubaidulina has at least three quartets, by the way.

I've also seen that Kronos version of the Schnittke but have never popped for it. I probably will -- I haven't listened to the Schnittke much in recent years and it might be a good way to get back into it.

Eric

Tantris, I haven't posted because I've had no success so far hence nothing to contribute. I printed out your original list and went trotting off to a supposedly large-ish HMV and found no Boulez or anything I thought I would start with. I'll come back when I've tracked some down in London.

Given this thread will continue to run on its theme and October starts tomorrow maybe you want to kick off a separate thread for piano in some shape or form.

Paul

The concept of these threads is great, as someone who enjoys classical music on an occassional basis, it would be great if you guys could come up with a starter album at the end of each month that us 'newbies' could listen to as an introduction into this genre of music. Is that possible? Remember it shouldn't be too obscure but used as an introduction (don't want to loose us before you've started do you?)

Whats the 'must have' album in String Quartets that I should invest in?

Mr Perceptive

Mr P --

My 2c - I would suggest the late string quartets of Beethoven - which are quite possibly the most profound music written in Western culture. It's easy to make such sweeping statements, so here are two examples to explain what I'm getting at.

In the 13th quartet, there is a brief movement entitled Cavatina. This starts pleasantly enough with gentle dance rhythms, reminiscent of youthful self-confidence. In the middle, however, the music abruptly breaks down - the effect is shattering, akin to an event where self-confidence is lost, and which requires the utmost in self-will and determination to pass through. All in the space of a few bars. No other piece of music comes close to the rite of passage in this movement.

Similarly, in the 15th quartet, there is a lengthy beautiful movement called Heiliger Dankgesang, or a song of thanks. This was written shortly after Beethoven had recovered from a long illness, and in the hands of the right quartet, the raw pain and suffering of sickness, and the relief of recovery is tangible.

There are many great recordings of these pieces - the Busch, the Vegh, the Lindsays, the Tokyo to name but a few. I've never been a great fan of the Emerson quartet, but a good starting point is this set - the Emersons may not always have the insight of some other quartets, but they play extremely well - although I think that they do fluff the Cavatina - and the recording quality is excellent;

B0000942LM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Tantris

Thanks, I'll invest and report back!

I live in Mid Wales and have to buy most things mail-order, where is the best place to buy classical material like this online?

Mr Perceptive

Mr P -- I've always found Amazon (linked above) to be good, whether it's the UK, US or French sites, and also MDT. For some very obscure stuff I have used fnac, a French site, who have given good service, albeit with relatively higher postage costs. Hope this helps -- T

advertisement

Back