advertisement

Classical music for dummies

MarkieW

pfm Member
Hi all,

I have now got to the point where I think my system is getting towards half decent (in my mind!), and am looking to broaden my musical horizons. Never been into classical music, but am prepared to give it another serious go.

Can anyone recommend a type of classical for dummies type album, probably a compilation giving me some easy access to the genre? A sort of greatest hits type thing I suppose across all composers. Any suggestions?

Just listen to R4 and/or Classic FM - anything you like, get details from their schedules and investigate on YouTube. YouTube will bring up suggestions of similar music.

You will get a very basic handle on things, or not if nothing really does floats your boat, within a week or two. Try to listen different times - dip in and out - on different days as the programmes change enormously in the music that they play. (There is even quite a bit of jazz on R4, if you are a novice there too.)

Don't spend any money until you find something that you actually would choose to play of your own choice.

Trying to guess what anyone might especially like is no different to guessing taste in modern music - impossible unless you know someone really exceptionally well - and some partners never get that far!!

Oh, one piece of advice - don't fall in love with organ music - a nightmare to get that right in a home on normal hifi.

The first piece of classical music I heard that opened the door, as it were, was Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Lots of great intimate moments along with lots of crash, bang, wallop in the finale.

Yes, the trouble with that approach is that I am afraid of getting put off of having to wade through stuff that would bore me before any passion for it could develop....

Does you radio have a switch or can you re-tune it? :)

So, unless you can already describe in reasonable detail what you do like, you are going to have to wade through things that might put you off, surely?

As I'm new to the genre, how do I know what I will like? Best to start with something generally regarded as "well liked" seems like a good strategy? And this is supposed to be a fun hobby right - not a chore?

Last edited:
Then just listen to listeners' requests - obviously going to be just popular stuff. Both R4 and Classic have request programmes.

Beethoven’s 9th
Elgar’s Cello Concerto (played by Jacqueline Du Pre preferably)
Vaughan William’s Lark Ascending
Verdi’s Requiem
Tallis’ Spem in Alium

If you don’t like any of these come back and ask for more...

Beethoven’s 9th
Elgar’s Cello Concerto (played by Jacqueline Du Pre preferably)
Vaughan William’s Lark Ascending
Verdi’s Requiem
Tallis’ Spem in Alium

If you don’t like any of these come back and ask for more...

Funnily enough, I have got a Vaughn Williams CD with Lark ascending as my first ever classical CD. Only given it one listen so far....

You're talking about 500 years of music so quite a lot of different styles.

I would try and listen to music from some different eras. I'm a classical newbie but enjoy Baroque (think Bach) and earlier music. The Romantic period (19th century) mostly leaves me cold.

Also think about ensemble sizes. I don't always want a full orchestra in my living room and veer towards small ensembles and chamber music.

advertisement

Back