advertisement

Classical LPs

EMI's Anthony Griffith wrote at some length about transferring 78s to LP [via analogue tape] for the 1973 complete Elgar electrical recordings [1926 to 1934] on HMV RLS 708 and 713, concerning the challenge of suppressing the noise inherent in the metal masters enough but not too much, so as to avoid crushing the upper partials in the signal cut on the wax disc originals [then processed into first generation metal masters]. By 1934 [using AD Blumlein's revolutionary moving coil microphones and cutting heads] EMI were producing recordings that had a respectable 10K Hertz response and some above that.

Griffith notes in his article that LPs have their own surface noise, and tape also brings additional noise, so some 78 noise is "covered" by the LPs replay! This required considerable judgement about taking away too much of the 78 noise, and considering the interaction with additional noise in the new LP mastering.

This changed in the Digital era when the Elgar Foundation funded a new restoration for CD release in 1993 of the same recordings. Griffith - though by then retired - was a consultant in the process, and he was delighted that high-resolution 24/96 digital remastering at last freed the transfer engineer from the inherent additional noisiness of analogue tape and LP surface, and allowed for a truer reflection of what was in the metal master grooves!

But nobody is rightfully going to claim that any pre-1939 78 recording represents Full Frequency Range Reproduction. Decca coined that, but EMI did the same without advertising it. 78s made towards the end of WW II had effective top frequencies of 14 K Hertz, and gradually in the early LP era recordings claim a satisfactory top frequency up to 16 k Hertz ...

To rumble on about any competent digital format not being able to cope with the highest possible frequencies in commercial 78 recordings is plain wrong. The only higher frequencies are noise - surface noise - and cold wax chatter, which could occur towards the end of a long side [after say four minutes] as the wax cooled during the cutting duration, or if there was a slight delay from setting up the wax on the cutting table that also could cause a 16 k Hertz whistle at the end of a side. Sometimes this was left in for LP transfers, but it is easily suppressed in the digital domain without damaging the musical signals, and adds nothing useful "musically speaking."

What is certain is that a successful digital transfer of a clean 78 recording, will sound far better than the commercial shellac discs available to the public. Strangely the best shellac discs were pressed in India, where the shellac was better and quieter than that available in Europe. London made famously noisy shellac discs, compared to their Indian counter parts.

In the transfer process, new vinyl pressings are made from the best metal master parts, held in the EMI vault at Hayes, or Camden [RCA vault] or even the Indian [EMI] vaults. The digital Elgar re-issues were taken from all three sources [of EMI] master parts as well as clean unused original 78 pressings where damage or corrosion was apparent even on the best original metal master source. The work was truly a labour of love for the remastering team in that case, and much was learned and subsequently used in later digital transfers done in the 1990s by such luminaries as Keith Hardwick, who took over from Anthony Griffith as chief EMI transfer "artist" at the time. These men had grown up and were apprenticed in the 78 era, and it is probably true to say that that decade produced the best quality of 78 transfers of ever achieved on a large scale, before or after. Fortunately most of the great EMI recordings [such as those of the Busch Quartet] were re-transferred in this period.

Warner has seen fit to release these by now historic digital transfers in unmodified form in their subsequent re-issues from the former EMI Classical catalogue. By now there is not the money to spend on the hours of work put in on each four minute side [correcting pitch, reducing surface noise that varies in the duration of a side and varying frequency response which rolled off more towards the end of sides in some cases], or the experience of engineers who knew from the inside the original 78 recording techniques. This is not to say that some independent transfer artists have not done stellar work working from clean commercial pressing that sometimes rival and even sometimes seem to surpass, tonally, the metal master based transfers done then at EMI. Comparing the Appian CD issues of Edwin Fischer playing Mozart Piano Concertos with the same recordings transferred by EMI show what is possible for example.

I think one thing that marks out direct cut 78 recordings is that in effect they represent live performances as no editing was possible to correct [via edited snips] any fault in playing, so if something went wrong the whole side had to be re-recorded there and then! It lends an immediacy to the performance that comes closer to listening to a live concert on the radio than any modern recording [with the perfection of technical quality presented from the players possible with editing] brings. Even live modern recordings are usually heavily edited from rehearsal takes to cover imperfections. This robs the sense of continuity and swing of a performance and does not always disguise music slips all the same.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Best wishes from George

That was interesting, George...

Prior to abandoning vinyl, I transferred rare LPs to digital using a Flying Cow (!) ADC. I then worked on the resulting files with Cool Edit, the powerful/flexible predecessor of Adobe Audition, to remove noise.

LPs (all of mine, anyway) have a low-level HF crackle which is impossible to remove with conventional de-clicking. A man called Younglove developed a technique for Cool Edit users which was very effective, yet left the musical signal intact. It went like this:

- run a more-than-usually intensive de-clicking, keeping the noise rather than the music; some music signal will be caught, but this doesn't matter, because then you...
- run a high-pass filter over the noise file to remove musical components from it, leaving only crackle
- invert the crackle file to produce an "anti-crackle" file
- paste the anti-crackle file over the original, et voila! a crackle-free music file :)

Isn't that clever? Call me simple... but it gave me pleasure every time I used it.

edit: high-pass filter, not low-pass, silly :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That was interesting, George...

Prior to abandoning vinyl, I transferred rare LPs to digital using a Flying Cow (!) ADC. I then worked on the resulting files with Cool Edit, the powerful/flexible predecessor of Adobe Audition, to remove noise.

LPs (all of mine, anyway) have a low-level HF crackle which is impossible to remove with conventional de-clicking. A man called Younglove developed a technique for Cool Edit users which was very effective, yet left the musical signal intact. It went like this:

- run a more-than-usually intensive de-clicking, keeping the noise rather than the music; some music signal will be caught, but this doesn't matter, because then you...
- run a low-pass filter over the noise file to remove musical components from it, leaving only crackle
- invert the crackle file to produce an "anti-crackle" file
- paste the anti-crackle file over the original, et voila! a crackle-free music file :)

Isn't that clever? Call me simple... but it gave me pleasure every time I used it.
I still use CEP when I am working on a windows machine. Apart from not having audio scrub it still does the business. That said, I have never tried anything as clever as the technique you describe above!

Just picking up on George's brilliant post above, I am occasionally tempted to play 78s but thankfully have resisted the temptation in the satisfaction of just how good restorations from 78s made by EMI and other great independent companies like APR, Pearl, Biddulph, Naxos etc are. Again the CD has made such treasures accessible and much preferable to LP.

I guess some people's decision on whether to buy an LP of a particular performance might depend on their equipment, don't want to get into the whole LP vs CD debate but it's possible I guess that your record playing system is more natural / analogue / warm etc than your cd set-up. I've bought second-hand vinyl either to get performances that are not on cd (many of which have subsequently found their way there now) or for sentimental reasons (cover art!). But I can't see any benefit to buying new classical vinyl either.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with Classic Record Collector magazine but reading old issues from when it started around 1995 I was surprised by how the magazine (in its early days) was heavily devoted to vinyl, comparing famous recordings on vinyl vs cd (usually preferring the vinyl issue) and promoting the new issues by companies like Speakers Corner. CD mastering has of course come a long way since the mid-eighties too.

Even though Presto is my local music shop and I have getting on for 700 classical records, I haven't. Quite simply, the LPs that are there are safe repertoire that don't really excite me compared to other music that I don't know that well.

My Pa just posted this to me in the old-fangled way (newspaper, scissors, envelope, stamp) but those with a Telegraph account (or who are willing to create one) might find it germane to the current discussion. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/classical-music/rocknrollers-right-vinyl-future/

How very interesting. I subscribe to the D.T. and receive frequent email editor's choice articles (which I bin). If this was in the print version, I can't understand how I missed it (must go and check for Jan 21)

However, he's obviously a tyro, as CDPs were released in this country in 1982, not 4 years later. Secondly, Heaven only knows what that cleaning muck is and I hope he cleans his stylus frequently. The RCM is the only fail-safe method I know of to clean, dry AND de-static vinyl. No idea what that (new?) record player is, except that it's obv. a Jap. d.d. but he is comparing a 1986 CDP (fairly paint-stripping, I'd imagine) with current vinyl replay, regardless of quality level.

Furthermore, he may be a music aficionado, but he doesn't frequent pfm (or the Wam, or AoS etc)!:)

If this was in the print version, I can't understand how I missed it (must go and check for Jan 21)

It was in Saturday’s paper (23rd). Page 11, can’t see what section though.

I logged the author’s suspect cleaning methodology too. The last paragraph suggests he’s unaware of the market for new classical vinyl, so clearly not of this parish.

Circa 1986 CDPs do have their adherents around here though. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t been so quick to junk my faulty Philips CD104B.

Transferring 78's into a modern format is a fascinating subject for sure! There is a wealth of music out there that would be lost if it were not for the hard work and dedication of archivists such as Ian Nagoski, who is a music researcher and record producer specializing in early 20th century music in languages other than English. He runs a record label called Canary and it seems that there are no lengths he won't go to, to find copies of old 78's, in order to preserve music and traditions of the past.

Canary Records Preserves Sounds from Early 20th Century American Immigrant Communities.

This isn't classical music, but the same level of dedication goes into archiving this material!

It was in Saturday’s paper (23rd). Page 11, can’t see what section though.

Thanks; got the wrong date. Most odd. I've just gone through the main paper, plus 'Saturday' supplement and the magazine. Nothing on p.11 or anywhere ! The format of your link does suggest an online version. Never mind, I'd read it now, but the mystery continues.

advertisement

Back