advertisement

Classical Ignoramus - some recommendations please.

Joco

pfm Member
Hi,
I'm a near newbie on the subject but would like some advice on some accessible Cello / Piano / Violin works which would be a good introduction into the subject. I am not necessarily asking for solo Instrument LP's just a gateway into the best that these instruments have to offer. Any and all advice is welcome, I realise the above may be a tad vague but hopefully its a starting point.

Thanks,

John

I've copied this post here as it will almost certainly get more recommendations than in the record shop.

Tony.

For violin I would recommend Bach's violin concertos in Am and E and the double concerto: a good accessible starting point, I like Christopher Hogwood's version. Bach's cello suites are worth dipping into but probably less accessible. Beethoven is also king when it comes to cello and piano of course, he wrote numerous solo piano and cello sonatas.

mat

accessible stuff...

piano:
chopin - nocturnes (maurizio pollini)
mozart - piano concertos #20 and #21 (friedrich gulda)
beethoven - piano concertos #4 and #5 (claudio arrau or stephen kovacevich)

violin:
brahms - violin concerto (oistrakh-violin/klemperer-conducting)
mendelssohn - violin concerto (jascha heifetz)

cello:
bach - cello suites (anner bylsma, janos starker or pablo cassals)

vuk.

More serious post - there are two Starker Bach cello suites. Mercury Living Presence recording is very nice - was reminded of this whilst at that upstanding Mr David Ellwood's place this morning when we played some.

Just a brief note to say that with Bach's Cello Suites please try the Rostropovitch. I'd like to hear the Starker myself, but just say no to Cassals. It really isn't a good place to start.

The Maisky/Argerich performance of the Bach Cello Sonatas is delightful, even if the recording could be a bit better. I'd say this is your best starting point with Bach. The Suites are absolute masterpieces, but the Sonatas are more accessible and immediately beautiful.

I'd suggest the recordings by Alfred Brendel of Beethoven's late piano sonatas, Nos 30, 31 and 32 if I remember rightly. I think he did them twice, 1970s and late mid-'90s. Both excellent!

For Piano, on which I have a lot to learn myself, I really like:

Mozart Concertos 23 & 27. I prefer the Ashkenazy to the Brendel.

Also Rachmaninov, again by Ashkenazy.

For Cello. Try both the Dvorak and the Elgar Concertos. Both are big and dramatic but with some beautiful melodies. I have numerous versions of both.

For the Elgar my new fave is the Natalie Clein recording. The Decca SXL vinyl version by Lynn Harrell is very good too.
For the Dvorak I have a gorgeous vinyl version by Paul Tortelier.
Most people like Jaqueline Du Pre, though the recordings I have by her don't excite me.

You didn't mention Clarinet, but I can thoroughly recommend Mozart, Weber and Crusell Concerti. The Thea King versions are superb. Emma Johnson is also a noted player, though I don't have any of her stuff myself. Must get some.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XWFLPQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I'd say fill your boots from Amazon. Some great recordings now coming through at mid price.

Mull

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
More serious post - there are two Starker Bach cello suites. Mercury Living Presence recording is very nice - was reminded of this whilst at that upstanding Mr David Ellwood's place this morning when we played some.

41VCMSTYJ2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seconded...pretty sure vuk turned me on to this a decade ago. (i knew these forums were good for something)

another favorite:

515Js7P8yjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Excellent advice guys, I guess most of this (all?) will be on cd not vinyl or. Is it worth hunting. Around for?

John

My two are available on CD and should knock you out assuming you're human and your cd player has a soul as well.

My favorite du Pre (extremely life-like sound with all the distortions and recording limitations of the day -not spectacularly boring hifi sound in other words):

51S4nfOXMFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

17 CD box set suggested by Basil -one word..."overwhelming" Highly recommended:

51%2BBtsW5KKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Brilliant! I understand the comment on Vinyl prices for some of the suggestions..however some are reasonable and the CD's are affordable, many thanks for your suggestions - invaluable.

John

Another Classical Newbie here.
I am tending to prefer quartet/ small orchestral pieces over large, more grandiose works.
I really like
Bachs Cello suites, played by Steven Isserlis on the Hyperion label
Also Bachs Brandenburg concerto &
Handel's Waterworks & Fireworks pieces
I know these are very common recommendations, & maybe proper classical buffs may poo-poo them, but hey, I like them.
This'll put the cat amongst the pigeons--
Jaques Loussier plays Bach.
Lovely open recording quality, Bach interpreted in a "jazz-ish" manner.
Apparently, Bach wrote with lots of intentional "gaps" to enable the players to add their own expression, so kind of jazz before jazz was thought of.
Or maybe its just elevator muzak?!?!
Matt.

Hi, in between defrosting the Freezer I've managed to buy the following with more of the recommended later this week;

Dvorak/Starker - Cello Concertos
Brahms/Mozart/Oistrakh/Klemperer - Violin Concertos in D
Mozart/Thea King - Clarinet Concertos/Clarinet Quintets
J du Pres - The early BBC Recordings
Brahms/Mendelssohn/Xue Wei - Violin Concertos

Thanks to all those who've taken the trouble to reply, I'll have a listen to J. Loussier on Spotify - intriguing?

John

advertisement

Back