advertisement

Classical help

Anderzander

Grateful Bodger
Can anyone suggest some good clasical cd's I could buy?

I have a number of compilation cd's which serve to help me identify composers and pieces I like but I would like to buy some good quality recording (ie well recorded) and I'm at a bit of a loss.

I seem to like most baroque music - and to prefer music for small arrangements rather than full orchestras....

Anyone help?

Stephen

Originally posted by Anderzander
wow - it's all in french!
So it is. well as French is almost the same thing as English, that shouldn't pose a problem :) Ferret about a bit in "Catalogue détaillé" and look for " Extrait sonore" for each album, this is the audio clip.
There is supposedly "Radio Alpha", but I've never got it to work FWIW.

Most of my collection is much later than the baroque, still, I think no classical fan should be without a set of Beethoven symphonies, and you can do an awful lot worse than Mackerras's set with the RLPO (especially given it goes for a little under £15 for 5 discs).

I'd also recommend the Lindsays' recordings (particularly their Beethoven and Schubert string quartets), but again, we're much later than the baroque.

My favourite baroque recording is Purcell's music for the funeral of queen mary (recorded by Gardiner and the Monteverdi choir and orchestra) which is beautiful. You also can't go far wrong with handel (and the Orpheus chamber orchestra's recording of the firework music and the water music is available at bargin price on DG). You might also want to look a vivaldi, but personally I don't think too highly of him.

Of course, you should also look a JS Bach. In particular, the Goldberg variations are worth a listen (I have Glenn Gould's 1981 recording, but his aren't for everyone). The suites for solo cello are some of the finest pieces of music ever written, and for me the Rostropovich recording on EMI is second to none. You should also listen to the b minor mass (Gardiner's recording on DG is excellent).

regards,

Tam

advertisement

Back