advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

I heard the same concert the night before in Bristol. Terrific evening, as you say. The Elgar was fantastic, and it’s hard not to be persuaded by the Halle’s history with Elgar. I’d love to hear Sir Stephen’s new piece but the premiere broadcast (Ohio or Utah, can’t remember) was only for 30 days, so I’m hoping it pops up on YouTube soon.

Tonight R3 broadcast a concert recorded recently at the Bridgewater Hall featuring the European premiere of Steven Hough's Piano Concerto, with the Hallé with Mark Elder. I half-listened as I was busy, but here's the link on Sounds - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001z6dh
It also features the Butterworth and Elgar.

Tonight R3 broadcast a concert recorded recently at the Bridgewater Hall featuring the European premiere of Steven Hough's Piano Concerto, with the Hallé with Mark Elder. I half-listened as I was busy, but here's the link on Sounds - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001z6dh
It also features the Butterworth and Elgar.
That’s very thoughtful, thank you. I heard it all, and the concerto was absolutely dazzling. Beautiful encore too, improvisation on ‘Feed the Birds’ with jazz elements.

Relatives in Manchester went in person and also enjoyed it. I’m probably a bit biased as I had dinner with Sir Stephen, and my cousin and his wife, back in February. He’s such an interesting and charming man, and a great raconteur too.

Basingstoke Anvil last night for the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Tabita Berglund, performing Mozart The Marriage of Figaro Overture, Elgar Cello Concerto and Sibelius Symphony no. 2. Or not, because I've got bl@@dy covid again. My wife went along though and says it was a very enjoyable concert, with a slight reservation about the Cello Concerto (Nicolas Altstaedt). His playing style is very dramatic and he commands attention, but in the louder parts the orchestra were very loud and the effect was overpowering. She prefers the way Sheku Kanneh-Mason played it a while back - still emotional, but more restrained, pulling us into the music. Berglund is a well-regarded conductor so maybe she was caught out by the acoustic in the Anvil? Anyhow, this dynamism suited the Mozart and Sibelius and everyone was happy. Except me 🤧

Basingstoke Anvil last night for the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Tabita Berglund, performing Mozart The Marriage of Figaro Overture, Elgar Cello Concerto and Sibelius Symphony no. 2. Or not, because I've got bl@@dy covid again. My wife went along though and says it was a very enjoyable concert, with a slight reservation about the Cello Concerto (Nicolas Altstaedt). His playing style is very dramatic and he commands attention, but in the louder parts the orchestra were very loud and the effect was overpowering. She prefers the way Sheku Kanneh-Mason played it a while back - still emotional, but more restrained, pulling us into the music. Berglund is a well-regarded conductor so maybe she was caught out by the acoustic in the Anvil? Anyhow, this dynamism suited the Mozart and Sibelius and everyone was happy. Except me 🤧
Time flies.... I heard Paavo Berglund conduct The Bournemouth Orchestra in Sibelius 2nd and 4th symphonies at the Basingstoke Anvil, must have been 1995 not long after it first opened. Turns out Tabita Berglund is no relation though.

Time flies.... I heard Paavo Berglund conduct The Bournemouth Orchestra in Sibelius 2nd and 4th symphonies at the Basingstoke Anvil, must have been 1995 not long after it first opened. Turns out Tabita Berglund is no relation though.
Yes indeed. It was their 30th anniversary on the 8th May. I think they still have an association with the Bournemouth SO too (we heard Marin Alsop conduct the BSO there, ages ago.)

The BSO are visiting Bristol on Friday, and I’ve not heard them for years. An interesting programme of Korngold violin concerto, Dvorak ‘From the New World’, and a new one on me, Gara Karayev ‘The Seven Beauties Suite’.

Anyone else attend the Yuja recital at Festival Hall yesterday?

It was quite the event and great to see it sold out. I was expecting her to nail the Barber and Shostakovich but her winning way with the Chopin shows how much she has matured musically over the years ...

The nine encores were bravura entertainment - Ms Wang has stamina. A lovely evening.

advertisement

Back