advertisement

classical cd with superb sound

oceanobsession

pfm Member
Just wondered if there are any classical cds to look out for , reference recordings is one , often see lots of classical cds in the charity shops , but what to look for , i would emagine series type editions left well alone . any tips .phil.

The Hyperion, Chandos & BIS labels are reliably good sound quality.
"A Feather on the Breath of God" by Gothic Voices is a favourite.
CPE Bach Sonatas & Rondos by Marc-Andre Hamelin
Nikolai Kapustin Piano Music by Steven Osborne
Escales - French Orchestral Music by Sinfonia of London/John Wilson
Perhaps see if any can be sampled online.

ECM has a small range of classical music (the label mostly focuses on jazz), and in my experience they're all impeccably recorded. Whether you like the music or not is, of course, a different matter!

Just wondered if there are any classical cds to look out for , reference recordings is one , often see lots of classical cds in the charity shops , but what to look for , i would emagine series type editions left well alone . any tips .phil.

l get a lot of classical CDs from Charity shops and to my ears they all sound good- very nice listening to them early in the morning, good fun trawling these shops. loads of bargains to be had. đź‘Ť

Get a few BBC Music magazines, the ratings cover recording quality as well as performance so that would be a starting point for recommendations.

advertisement

Back