advertisement

Classic YES!

garyi

leave blank
I used to have a record I am sure was called Classic Yes, or Yes Classics.

It was a very weak floppy record. never-the-less it was full of early yes stuff that I like including a rendition of America.

The only one I can find now is called 'Classic Yes' but is a comp of stuff from Fragile and stuff, this is defo not what I remember.

Do I have the wrong album name or did this never make it too CD?

Many thanklies.

(And, I know, I know, Yes is crap etc etc)

Yes - a GREAT band!
I saw them on the "Going for the Bum" tour, rate "Close To The Edge" as probably my favourite album of all time, have got some Roger Dean wallpaper (from Yesshows) on my PC, and have a white Ricky bass.

garyi, I'm fairly sure that that version of "America" in zygote's link is the same as that included on the Rhino-remastered 'Fragile' CD. Do you have any of the Rhino remasters? They are very good, IMO.

garyi, I'm fairly sure that that version of "America" in zygote's link is the same as that included on the Rhino-remastered 'Fragile' CD. Do you have any of the Rhino remasters? They are very good, IMO.
I think it was released as a single.
Second that on the Rhino remasters - I bought mine at FOPP (now sadly departed).

Good album Yesterdays.

Dear Father is a real nice tune. Think I have it as a single with another previously unreleased track on it called Abilene.

I did like that album, but the record was so flimsy!

Do you remember them free records with magazines that you could roll up? It was not much thicker than that haha.

Gary, they are not all like that - I've sold quite a few copies and early ones are very decent pressings.

Tony.

Ah, fair enough. I cannot remember what mine was on. Its of no consequence it went out with the 'great clearing' of 2005/6. An event that even today still has Steven Toy upset.

abilene was from the Going for the One sessions and appears on the expanded Cd version, making it from a later period than Dear Father. I think..

Keep an eye out for "Time & A Word". This has pre-Wakeman Yes nosing up avenues from which they subsequently withdrew, and is the better for it -- no digital studio tricks, and some terrifically filthy Hammond from Tony Kaye.

[trivia]
An interesting rumour is that while recording it, whenever Yes left the studio at night, Wishbone Ash (with no recording contract) came in, slipped the engineers some cash and managed to record the first version of their first album on studio time which was actually billed to Yes' record company. It was subsequently re-recorded in the US once they had their contract, but the "original, unconciously-Yes-funded" material has recently surfaced and will apparently be released under the title "First Light".
[/trivia]

I am pretty sure I can recall you had it on vinyl, gary, because it was hearing it on your system that inspired me to get a copy of my own!!

Haha, then I probably don't have it! I'll have a check and order if not.

Having a YES moment it would seem.

advertisement

Back