advertisement

Classic TV

What’s wrong with Hancock’s Half Hour or Steptoe and Son? That’s what you call classic. No idea where you could find them though

Yes, classics.
There are some on You Tube.

I think Hancock is best on the radio.
Radio 4 Extra, Wednesdays.

Was there a Spaghetti Western Comic Strip, I seem to remember Rik Mayall in a black suit constantly chewing a cigar staring down Ade?

The Monty Python TV series. Amazing and SO influential! Watch out for all the things nicked from it by others later. One of many was reference to a "Bewilderbeast" ! Ah Badly Drawn Boy I thought... no doubt some smart arse will come along and tell me python also nicked it.... So many others as well though! "wasn't there a person of that name in that 90's film? and "wasn't that the title of thingys 3rd album?" etc right through it!

It's very sexist, racist and any thing else-ist they could get in really and I've no doubt would actually be illegal today! And all the better for it as even the most extreme bits are tongue in cheek and intended to offend the easily offended of "the establishment" (no not the club). It really does make modern TV look pretty tame!

Please point out a bit of Monty Python.. that is racist?

I have had a think, and cannot think of any racist bits.

I can think of Spike Milligan pushing stereotypes, on his Q series, but having difficulty remembering Python doing similar.

Was there a Spaghetti Western Comic Strip, I seem to remember Rik Mayall in a black suit constantly chewing a cigar staring down Ade?

A Fistful Of Travellers Cheques. Mr Jolly Lives Next Door is the best Comic Strip film, anything that has Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson, Peter Cook and Nicholas Parsons in has to be right up there.

Classic TV
Bergerac, Shoestring, Minder, The Professionals, The Avengers, The New Avengers, The Sweeney, Quantum Leap, Dear John, The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin to name a few more

Last edited:
Please point out a bit of Monty Python.. that is racist?

I have had a think, and cannot think of any racist bits.

I can think of Spike Milligan pushing stereotypes, on his Q series, but having difficulty remembering Python doing similar.

There's loads! Full blackface, the lot. It's done in good taste and there's pretty much no one it doesn't take the piss out of or send up.

Number 4. The Larch.

Probably not the right thread, but for anyone who doesn’t have all the DVDs the first series of Black Books is being repeated on Ch4 from 2305 tonight.

Space: 1999 on Horror Channel has me gripped.

It looks digitally cleaned, and everything looks like a Quad amp.

I am 10 years old, almost instantly.

I recently watched ‘Enemy at the door’ which was re-shown on TPTV. A fantastic series with the incomparable Alfred Burke; it’s about the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands. Wonderful cast including Bernard Horsfall.

I am also quite enjoying Upstairs Downstairs, yes it has dated but it’s rather good Sunday evening TV with some quite forward thinking story lines.

I do love some of the TV from the 60s & 70s. Public Eye is probably my favourite.

Edge of Darkness (1985..if that's old enough to qualify, older than A Touch of Frost so I guess so!) - still superb now, one of the best dramas the BBC ever put out (IMHO).

That was a stunning series, still think about it today. Must find a rerun.

Is this the right room for an argument?

Still makes me laugh out loud and heaven knows how many times I've seen it.
MP were really good. Some of it I still simply don't get and seems like complete nonsense, and I never really got on with the animations, but there were some truly great, and still very funny, sketches.

advertisement

Back