advertisement

[FS] Classic road bike 55/56cm

Mike P

Trade: Pickwell Audio
Selling because it's a little too big for me.

The frame and fork has been resprayed at some point in the past but I've done my detective work and I'm certain the frame was manufactured in Italy by Billato.

Billato were/are a very high class frame builders and made frames for several top end brands including Ciocc and Concorde.

I think this is probably a 1989 Concorde Prelude that for some reason has been fitted with a non original Reynolds fork at some point.

The frame is made from Columbus SL (as evidenced by the SL stamp on the BB shell) and the serial number ends in 89, which suggests 1989 and that'd be about right.

The BB shell is marked as a 55cm size which is the centre-centre measurement. It's more like 56cm centre-top. The top tube is about 56cm.

Sean Kelly and the PDM Team rode Concorde Aquila frames which were almost identical but in SLX tubing.

It's a very classy frame and would have been a serious bike back when it was new. The race number holder braze-on under the top-tube tells you that it was a competition pedigree bike.

The paint has seen better days and is scruffy. This bike deserves to be restored and enjoyed. A nice single colour respray would set you back about £160.

The bike is kitted out with Shimano 105 9sp and Mavic Cosmos wheels and mechanically it is all in very good order. I'm an ex bike shop mechanic and I've given it all a thorough going over. It's good to go with no nasty surprises.

Asking £250 (collected) with no offers please. This would fetch more on Ebay but I rather avoid Ebay if possible. Collection from near Sheffield, S36 postcode.

The Look Delta pedals pictured aren't included. I'll let the new owner supply the pedals of their preference.

Buy it and get it repainted in PDM team colours. You know you want to!

20230130_133238 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

20230130_133311 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

20230130_133327 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

20230130_133336 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sean Kelly and the PDM Team rode Concorde Aquila frames which were almost identical but in lighter SLX tubing.

Looks like a nice frame there. SL and SLX were actually about the same weight. SLX had an internal spiral structure to reinforce the stress points if my memory isn't letting me down...

Looks like a nice frame there. SL and SLX were actually about the same weight. SLX had an internal spiral structure to reinforce the stress points if my memory isn't letting me down...

You're spot on. I should have said "more expensive SLX" tubing.

And yes I think SLX had the spiral riffling, which made it stiffer not lighter.

Would you consider posting on retro bike or lfgss forums. Should sell quite quickly on either of those. PFM for bikes :)

As this is collection only...it might be worth considering putting an approximate location.
Looks a nice retro bike :cool:

You know, I’ve often wondered how many of us lfgss members have gravitated to here as we ‘grew up’. I loved being (and occasionally still am) part of that community. I made some great friends through fixed gear cycling about 15 years ago.

I still haven't got around to advertising this elsewhere and consequently it's still available if anyone here is interested.

I'm 5' 8" and whilst it's useable for me it's really a little big. I have too many bikes so it makes sense to let this one go.

As a leggy 5’9 1/2” a square 55 or 56 is bang on for me. Unfortunately, I have 4 bikes already and the only frame I might pounce at would be a really nice one for medium reach calipers with a full set of braze-ons.

GLWS Mike, looks like a great bike for someone for not much cash.

advertisement

Back