advertisement

Classic Revox anyone?

I have a G36 somewhere in the vault that I never use.
Use it or loose it, same goes for all electronic kit, capacitors must be regularly charged / discharged or they fail, they loose their polarity and sometimes explode.

I had a lovely working G36, spent a lot of money on spares, I bought it off of a BBC man, it was a mess, new turn tables needed cos the original ones had shattered and epoxied back together, brake straps must be replaced when you fit new t/tables.

Lots of other new parts fitted, I took a day trip to F W Bouch in Boreham Wood to collect the spares it needed.

I had to sell it to raise money for a deposit to get a bedroom for me and my gf in a house share in South Harrow.

I had one of those B215 cassette decks - no use for it so I let a friend have it. Looking at the 3k plus euro sticker, I should give him a call to remind him what a good friend he is!

In this thread on TapeHeads a few members who have bought B215s are sharing their disappointment over some pretty basic failings, mostly on the admin front but still a bit concerning given the hefty outlay.

I have G36, A77 and B77, all in good order. They had little use so they were easy to bring back to life.
I was even able to reform the G36 caps, so it still has its original PSU ones.
However, the A77 and B77 needed a whole set of new caps.
All these machines sound excellent, and share a sound signature.

I own two Revox machines, both B77's one is a high speed machine the other is a normal speed 7.5 and 3.3/4.
Quite a few tapes some still sealed. The machines were biased for TDK Audua and Maxell UD 35-90 .

One has been stripped down for a service, new caps etc, but haven't had the time lately to complete the job.

I rarely use the Revox now,but still a joy to use get the reels spinning!

My dream machine years ago was a Chilton 100S, made in the UK, never bought one as it was quiet expensive at the time,but glad I waited for the Revox!

I believe 337alant has a couple of Revox machines.

The only real issue with Revoxes is that the heads aren’t very hard – they wear quickly.
Sony used glass charged heads that were virtually unwearable. My old 399 has its original heads that show zero wear: impressive.

I've had several different A77 Mk IV, modded and a B795 turntable. Sold my last A77 Dolby a couple of years ago and swore to never return. Nice to look at but chicks weren't impressed...

What actually happened with Revox, I remember them being around in the early 80’s maybe with a full range of kit inc amps, tuners and speakers . The speakers were somewhat rarer and unusual but the reel2reel decks and cassette decks I guess were the bulk of their business back then but when did they stop manufacturing?

What actually happened with Revox, I remember them being around in the early 80’s maybe with a full range of kit inc amps, tuners and speakers . The speakers were somewhat rarer and unusual but the reel2reel decks and cassette decks I guess were the bulk of their business back then but when did they stop manufacturing?
The key products for Revox were always the R2Rs, which sold very well and had excellent reliability (as you would expect given the Studer pro background). The cassette decks (B215) were good too, but like the Tandbergs, couldn't match Japanese products from the likes of Aiwa and Akai for reliability. Tuners were excellent but never sold in quantity, as with the amps they only really sold in the main to customers who wanted a Revox system. It was a hard look to mix & match with.

I think they went into decline in the mid 80s, I doubt the advent of CD did them any favours. I have no idea who owns Revox now, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn they'd never even heard of Willi Studer.

Since 1994 (maybe even a bit earlier) Revox has been totally separate from Studer, and in private hands. Studer itself has been part of Harman until 2021 or so.
Hiya Werner, glad to see you posting...

...Now what became of Joe Hutch, still swotting?

So, who exactly is this Revox that's refurbishing all these 'classic' units for sale? Are they even really related to the original Revox, or did they just buy over the brand name?

Im looking for a Revox PR99 Mk3 working, faulty or not working Im looking for the version with pots for the recording levels and the Cal /uncal switch

I have an A77, 2x B77, PR99 Mk1 PR99 MK2 2x PR99 mk3 studio versions.

Alan

advertisement

Back