advertisement

Classic Motown Vids.

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
In the wake of the tremendously popular 'Classic 60s/50s/40s' Pop threads, I thought this might interest some of you. ;)

As part of my eclectic musical taste I have an abiding and unashamed love of Motown. Recent furtive late night cruises of YouTube have revealed some vids of bands/artists who I have only previously seen in still pics...

Add to this if you wish, but let's start with the less obvious. The earlier and more obscure the better.

Mull

Terrific blending of Contours best with Astaire/Powell vid:

[YOUTUBE]lEUsuPGBo-c[/YOUTUBE]

Velvelettes:

Elgins:

Kim Weston:

Marvin Gaye:

Marvelettes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope,sorry.

Rare Earth just don't do it for me. They are a perfectly competent band but are way too far from the spirit of Motown.

Any half decent band can 'rock up' a Motown tune. What's the point?

Mull

Nope,sorry.

Rare Earth just don't do it for me. They are a perfectly competent band but are way too far from the spirit of Motown.

Any half decent band can 'rock up' a Motown tune. What's the point?

Mull

Motown clearly thought they were in the "spirit of Motown" enough to sign them.

Hi,

Colin (Mull) is referring to the golden age of Motown. This was around 1963 to 1967. This was period when the Motown sound became fully established with the musical production line in full swing. This was the era of Holland Dozier and Holland.

In 1967, Holland Dozier and Holland fell out with Berry Gordy and didn't write, arrange or produce any songs for them. Also Black American music and culture changed sharply. At times, Motown wasn't the force it was.

The black music was getting more funky and earthy. There was more black consciousness in the music.

Dean

Hi,

Here is one of the best Supremes songs ever.

The Contours featuring Denis Edwards who later sang lead in the Temptations.

Dean

The black music was getting more funky and earthy. There was more black consciousness in the music.

1967 was the point when Motown became more interesting for me, less froth, more depth. A bit like all rock / pop I guess.

Does anyone know if the 25th Anniversary collection box of 25 Tamla singles is "sellable" . I bought it on prior order when it came out just before swapping my Linto for a Norton (no 45rpm)and haven´t been able to use it. To be quite honest I can´t see myself changing the PSU for my Linn just to hear them (especially as I´ve got all the tracks on LPs anyway.)

P.S. I´m not talking about making a profit - just getting my money back or thereabouts.

1967 was the point when Motown became more interesting for me, less froth, more depth. A bit like all rock / pop I guess.

Hi,

1967 onwards were an interesting time for Motown. Some of the tunes had depth to them, alot didn't. Most tried to update that winning formula. But there were alot of good tunes.

Dean

Does anyone know if the 25th Anniversary collection box of 25 Tamla singles is "sellable" . I bought it on prior order when it came out just before swapping my Linto for a Norton (no 45rpm)and haven´t been able to use it. To be quite honest I can´t see myself changing the PSU for my Linn just to hear them (especially as I´ve got all the tracks on LPs anyway.)

P.S. I´m not talking about making a profit - just getting my money back or thereabouts.

Hi,

What does say on the cover? What does it look like?

Dean

Well, I never. I didn´t realise it was a limited edition thingy. I might just hang on to it. Apart from the hits you´d expect it has singles by the Velvelettes,, R. Dean Taylor, the Marvelettes and Frank Wilson with Chris Clark on the flipside.

It´s a white and gold flip top cardboard box which says Tamla Motown - 20 classic 45s to commemorate 45 years of Motown. It´s box nº 1509 of 2000. Apart from the singles it contains a 7" square booklet titled the Complete Motown catalogue with photos of important LP covers and another leaflet titled the summer of Motown 2004 and quotes a blurb from Mojo written by Lois Wilson.
Sorry, I did say 25 years Anniversary but it is 45 years so it´s only 10 years old. It also mentions a web page on www.motown45.co.uk

I found a listing here
http://www.popsike.com/TAMLA-MOTOWN...SET-Contains-20-x-7-Singles/330698063199.html

If you do decide to sell it. PM me!

There are no rare Temptations songs, but this is a bit less obvious than most and one of my faves.

Jimmy Ruffin. Baby I've Got It. A 'B' side on earlier UK pressings of 'What Becomes of the Broken Hearted'. This, for me has everything that's great about Motown. Good song, great 'beat', surprising breaks/riffs/hooks/ etc. Fab backing vocals and an all around brilliant production. Love it. Sorry I can't find a performance vid.

Mull

Hi,

Here some uptempo Stevie magic.

[YOUTUBE]XzZkMN-BBmE[/YOUTUBE]

Another tune by The Supremes before they hit big.

The late great Edwin Star.

Dean

"Soul music is mostly about the pursuit of intercourse", John Legend. I would say sex.

Hi,

More Motown magic

Chris Clark.

A big club favourite.

Pauline Matthews hits the Motown groove.

[YOUTUBE]drcfw-rXn3w[/YOUTUBE]

A good B-side. Bobby Smith RIP.

Dean

I started this thread strictly for actual performance vids of Motown artists, especially the more obscure. In particular I'm interested in Eddie Holland's stuff. But it seems some stuff just isn't there and given Holland's apparent 'chronic stage fright' I suppose it's not surprising.

More Velvelettes. I had this on an early Motown Memories album now sadly lost and no doubt worth a fortune.

Supremes. I was never a great fan, especially of D Ross's whining vocal and the shoddy treatment of Florence Ballard, but this is nice enough.

Tops

Marvin Gaye. Hitch hike. Complete with the obligatory lunatic dancers and Martha and the Vandellas on backing vocals.

Temps v Four Tops. This is great fun

Mull

Hi,

Motown live from the Apollo

Mary Wells

Marvelettes

[YOUTUBE]oFf_Meg-bwk[/YOUTUBE]

Marvin & Tina

Contours

Supremes

SCIDB