advertisement

'Classic' Japanese tuners

Onkyo Integra 9090ii
blogOnkyoT-9090II.jpg

From the Tuner information centre:

With the exception of the very rare Grand Integra T-G10, the T-9090 and T-9090II were the best tuners ever made by Onkyo. The T-9090 is "almost" the equal of its successor for sensitivity and selectivity, and both have the digital equivalent of 6 gangs. However, the T-9090II has 9 ceramic filters to the T-9090's 7, and the T-9090II tunes in .025 MHz steps (which can be useful for detuning away from a strong local station) rather than in .2 steps like the T-9090 does (which allows one to tune up and down the dial more quickly). In addition, the T-9090II has a remote control, two antenna inputs that can be A/B'd, and a few other minor features that the T-9090 lacks. Both tuners have 20 presets and digital signal strength readouts, among other bells and whistles.

The most significant feature of the T-9090 and T-9090II (which can also be found in other tuners in Onkyo's Integra line) is the "APR" (automatic precision reception) system which automatically selects the optimal IF bandwidth, RF mode, stereo or mono, and whether or not to use the hi-blend filter, based upon the characteristics of the tuned signal. The T-9090II's APR system also chooses between Antenna A or B for best reception. Both Onkyos are superb DX machines, and as digital tuners are surpassed for adjacent channel reception only by the Sony XDR-F1HD and possibly a modified Yamaha T-85 (due to the T-85's .01 MHz fine-tuning capability). The Onkyos are really selective enough without modification - especially the T-9090II, which uses five 150 kHz filters in its Super Narrow IF mode. Although this spec does not appear in Onkyo's U.S. product manuals, Australian DXer Todd Emslie reports that the T-9090II's adjacent channel selectivity is 45 dB.

The T-9090 and T-9090II are both very quiet on weak signals and their stereo separation, while not "world class," is not bad even in Super Narrow mode. Our panelist Bob observes, "In general, most tuners' stock blend circuits stink. I have gotten pretty sensitive to any noise, and usually have to go right to mono. The T-9090II has a good stock blend circuit, better than most tuners have." Some people dislike the Onkyos' ergonomics - both have tiny buttons that are not all grouped logically - but they're very solidly built tuners and not at all "plasticky."

Our panelist Eric recently unearthed the description of a 1988 shootout between his T-9090 and Paul M.'s T-9090II: "We hooked the T-9090 and T-9090II to the same antenna, with the same connections, and later reversed them to make sure things were equal. The T-9090II was very slightly more selective. There were only a couple of cases where it mattered at all, because I have one 105-120 dB local and no others over 60 dB when peaked. So there was no great improvement in reception of adjacent channels. But, surprise: the T-9090 was very noticeably quieter. Not by much, but consistently, up and down the dial, for any weak station. So a weak (i.e., less than 15-20 dB) station next to a strong local would be heard with less 'slop' and 'crash,' but with more 'fuzz,' stereo or not, on the T-9090II. Our conclusion: Anyone who has a choice should choose a T-9090 if they're not troubled by very strong locals (over 60 or so dB). Anyone in close proximity to locals might welcome the T-9090II as a small but noticeable improvement in adjacent-channel selectivity.

Receivers are cool too!

8047018037_1d7d66dde4_b.jpg

I had this Marantz 2252B for a while. A lovely thing, but just crazy complicated in there - the thought of having it serviced/recapped put me off as it would have taken hours just to disassemble! I've never seen so little room in something so big, it was rammed full of stuff! I used it in the TV system for a while.

PS I have actually got a couple of receivers in my WTF pile (next to Cassette Deck Mountain), a late '60s Sony STR-6050 and a mid-70s Pioneer SX-535. Last time I checked the Pioneer was dead on one side, the Sony, which is rather tatty, did actually work, but ran rather hotter than I'd expect.

I have an Akai, currently driving LS3/5as, as part of a bedroom system.
It works very well...

rotel_hi___fi_rt___850_amfm_stereo_tuner_1_lgw.jpg

1988 Rotel RT850 - like this one - a favourite of the hifi press at the time - exceptionally good sound for the price

Onkyo Integra 9090ii

Used one of these on a daily basis for the last 25 years plus - only recently has it started dropping into and out of lock. I think it can still be serviced. Clean, big sound with Radio 3.
DGP

Used one of these on a daily basis for the last 25 years plus - only recently has it started dropping into and out of lock. I think it can still be serviced. Clean, big sound with Radio 3.
DGP

I just love the idea of a 'Clean, big sound with Radio 3.'

Martyn.

I used to have a Pioneer F-91 bought directly from Pioneer when I was working on site developing software for their AS/400 at the warehouse in Greenford. That was a project from hell, but that's another story.

The tuner cost something like £150.

Internet piccie...

F-91.jpg

I use a Yamaha T-7 or a Pioneer TX-9500.

The T-7 is unusual in that it has mechanical presets and it's pointer is illuminated not the dial. So when you press a preset button the indicator trundles off to the corresponding station.

2016-08-25%2015.03.36_zpseh2ki133.jpg

IMGP0011_zpsjiwke2wt.jpg

DGP
Well no probs here as yet...sound is indeed excellent on R3, also pulls in a ridiculous amount of Irish stations in very usable stereo (I'm in North Wales). It came in ahead of the Yam CT-7000 in the T I C shootout but IMHO is one of those top rank bits of kit which, for now, are under the radar.

Here is my excellent Yamaha CT7000 with contol flap in the down position.
Also a fan of early Luxman tuners/receivers and a soft spot for a well fettled early valve Leak Troughline with stereo decoder.

Technics%20RS1700%20011_zpstzfcimgq.jpg

I have a Yamaha T-1 in the attic. It's a bit dusty. I should bring it down for a clean and play.

2894887-lg.jpg

Here is my excellent Yamaha CT7000 with contol flap in the down position.
Also a fan of early Luxman tuners/receivers and a soft spot for a well fettled early valve Leak Troughline with stereo decoder.

Technics%20RS1700%20011_zpstzfcimgq.jpg

Oh, Yamahas...
I nearly bought a '400 Receiver.

Martyn.

Another excellent tuner from the late 1980s. I give you the Denon TU-800L:

denontu800.preview.jpg

It's similar in some ways to ff1dl1's Onkyo: 3 IF bandwidths, 8 ceramic filters and an excellent tuner for digging out weak signals in difficult conditions. The sound in the WIDE IF setting on a good broadcast is superb: clean, clear, detailed and spacious. It's streets ahead of the TU-260, which is the one that all the hi-fi rags used to go on about. It's pretty rare, but because it's not so well-known, it can fly right under the radar. I bought mine for £22 about 2 or 3 years back.

Oh, Yamahas...
I nearly bought a '400 Receiver.

Martyn.

I had one of those - CR400 - 16w per channel I seem to remember - bought from Thomas Heinitz in 1975. Then got some LS3/5a's to go with it. Worked very well as a little system. Subsequently used much larger amps with them and the sound did not dramatically improve.

Another excellent tuner from the late 1980s. I give you the Denon TU-800L:

denontu800.preview.jpg

It's similar in some ways to ff1dl1's Onkyo: 3 IF bandwidths, 8 ceramic filters and an excellent tuner for digging out weak signals in difficult conditions. The sound in the WIDE IF setting on a good broadcast is superb: clean, clear, detailed and spacious. It's streets ahead of the TU-260, which is the one that all the hi-fi rags used to go on about. It's pretty rare, but because it's not so well-known, it can fly right under the radar. I bought mine for £22 about 2 or 3 years back.

Very tasty that...it was on the look out for list when the Onkyo came up, I seem to remember, does very well in the shootout at the TIC. Speaking of which, doesn't the Naim NAT 01 get slaughtered...

"This is an older, two-piece tuner. The tuner is the Naim NAT 01. The power supply/controller, called the Naim NA PST, supplies power to a separate AM tuner and Aux something? It also takes the signals from these same three and sends one to a proper preamp via switching controls on the front. The tuner can also bypass this switching and go direct to your preamp, which is how I listened. It's a pleasant-sounding tuner with no real sonic irritations. The bass wasn't as deep or full as the L-02T's. The midrange was more one-dimensional and had a diffuse sound to it. The soundstage was taller than the L-02T and more laidback (meaning more to the rear of the speakers). The highs, as said, were non-fatiguing. There are NO controls on this model: no wide/narrow, no mute defeat, no manual blend, no mono, nothing! And it drifts off channel from time to time. It tries so hard not to offend and for that reason it did. Sonically? Livable. Ergonomics? I'll pass. Winner, the L-02T. "

I've also got one of these in the living room system...nice solid bit of gear, still going strong, plus doesn't do too bad in the shootout either.
Technics_ST-8077K_Classic_1.JPG

TIC seem very focused on pulling weak stations in from over-crowded FM bands etc. If, like me, all you want from a tuner is good sounding BBC Radio 3 in a good reception area the results may differ I guess. They don't like Quad tuners either, and again they are fine at getting Radio 3 out of a half decent aerial IME. I'd still love to hear the Trio they rave about, though it's a bit of an ugly brute compared to the lovely '70s silver Pioneers, Marantz, Sonys etc.

TIC seem very focused on pulling weak stations in from over-crowded FM bands etc. If, like me, all you want from a tuner is good sounding BBC Radio 3 in a good reception area the results may differ I guess. They don't like Quad tuners either, and again they are fine at getting Radio 3 out of a half decent aerial IME. I'd still love to hear the Trio they rave about, though it's a bit of an ugly brute compared to the lovely '70s silver Pioneers, Marantz, Sonys etc.

Yes, but that suits me. In addition to all the English/Welsh stations I'm at 800ft elevation opposite Ireland and receiving PLENTY of stations from there, so something that turns these from a crackly liability to a sparkling stereo asset is a plus. Also have a strong Irish station right next to R4, and the Onkyo is the only tuner I've got that will render R4 in stereo without breakthrough. That's despite the mast for R4 being in plain visibility/line of sight. Lyric FM and Radio Gaeltacht get regular listening so DXing abilities are a priority.

Never had a Quad tuner, but have a Troughline - it's not the tuner for round here though.

I don't think the TIC are biased against British stuff per se - the Audiolab is in their top rank.

I'd gladly give houseroom to any silver fronted lovelies though....

That's despite the mast for R4 being in plain visibility/line of sight. Lyric FM and Radio Gaeltacht get regular listening so DXing abilities are a priority.
Sounds like an ideal case for an aerial rotator, high gain antenna and RF attenuator.
My Sony ST-S361 has two inputs and a switchable input attenuator.
Tuner designers focused on the headline sensitivity figure at the expense of handling high level signals.

^I have a similar set-up here. The tuners go to a 9-element beam on a rotator. West is probably not the best direction as the west side of our road has an old railway embankment with trees on it. South and south east seem to be the best directions for unobstructed paths for longer distance signals. With this set-up I have heard countries such as Switzerland, Spain, Austria, the Czech Republic and Poland via tropospheric ducting and more exotic places like Turkey, Cyprus, Israel, Syria and even Iran via double-hop Sporadic E.

The best tuner I have for DXing is a modified Sony XDR-F1HD. The sound on strong locals, however, is nothing special. It may have clever DSP algorithms to eliminate FM hiss on weak signals but it also renders everything sounding flat and lifeless. Very MP3-like, in fact. Tuners like the Yamaha T-2 and Kenwood L-1000T murder it in the sound quality department.

advertisement

Back