advertisement

Classic amp shootout....

spet0114

REMPI Member
I guess that I've always been a sucker for a big, silver, 70s japanese amp. I blame all those hours spent reading the AudioKarma forum!

A few weeks ago, I noted a Marantz 1070 advertised on the PFM classified Ads and ended up buying it. Shortly afterwards a Sansui AU2200 was going begging at work. I snapped it up too. Then came a Sony TA2650, again courtesy of the PFM classified. Things were getting a bit silly now and SWMBO was less than thrilled!

So, it was decided that some of the amps would have to go. The only question was which one? Obviously the only fair way to deduce this was by listening. Thus, over the next few weeks, I'll be comparing and contrasting the various amps and picking the one to keep. For interests' sake, I've included my Nait 1 in the mix (though that'll be staying irrespective of the outcome).

Here're the competitors, in typical seventies 'tower of power' shot...

IMG_0369s.jpg

The two sources are a Pioneer TX9500 tuner and Kenwood KD650 equipped with an Audio Technica AT-OC9. The speakers are KEF Chorales, mounted on Atacama SE24s.

First up, the Marantz.

IMG_0371s.jpg

It certainly wins points on style, though the 'wood effect' vinyl wrapped around the casework is a bit tacky. It's been playing for a couple of days so far and the initial impressions are favourable. More to follow.....

Will follow this with interest... hoping to have my very own 'big, silver, 70s japanese amp' here soon.

It's not the same make as any of yours, but it is destined to be driven from a DD turntable.

Loving that tuna, BTW!

Will follow this with interest... hoping to have my very own 'big, silver, 70s japanese amp' here soon.

It's not the same make as any of yours, but it is destined to be driven from a DD turntable.

Loving that tuna, BTW!

Yes, the top Pioneer tuners are very good. Radio 3 in particular seems to suit them, listening to the Handel they were playing last night was breathtaking. Now I've finally gotten around to replacing all the blown bulbs in mine, it makes a pretty good light show too!

Which silver amp are you going for?

Cheers
Adrian

P.s : Captain - yes, poor girl!

Yes, the top Pioneer tuners are very good. Radio 3 in particular seems to suit them, listening to the Handel they were playing last night was breathtaking. Now I've finally gotten around to replacing all the blown bulbs in mine, it makes a pretty good light show too!

Yes, I had a TX7500 (I think it was, might have been a '7800) which I let go a few years back... was using a Troughline stereo at the time, but regret moving the Pio. on now.

Which silver amp are you going for?

Ah, well, until I see it, I can't say if it's silver or maybe champagne gold... it has a wooden outer casing and dates from the early to mid '70s... hifi dave knows what it is... barring disasters, I hope to be starting a thread soon.

Sorry if this appears to be a tease, but don't want to tempt fate...

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a Luxman SQ507x amplifier.

'hifi dave' alerted me to a couple of issues with it, which I'll be addressing in the medium term (refurb the wooden casing, attend to a couple of issues with switches).

First, though, I've got to do something about the mains cable - the socket doesn't take IEC or figure 8 cables - as only the old ReVox type fit and I don't have any nowadays.

What was I saying about tempting fate?

Photo may follow in due course...

Revox style mains cables can be got on eBay I think for not much money.

if you MUST try a Sony from this period, PLEASE try to get a working TA 5650 or 8650, the only two v-FET integrateds to make it to the UK I think (there's a 4650 and mk2 versions I believe stateside). These are sweet but lively, with slightly "loose" but tuneful bass, yet truly valve-like reproduction of reverb and atmosphere. The lower caste Sony's and most of the other Jap amps in competition were hard as nails and spatially flat as a pancake (the 3650 was a horrid amp compared to the 5650, the latter which I used for several months until I got a Radford STA25 and matching pre).

Revox style mains cables can be got on eBay I think for not much money.

Thanks, DSJR - if I can't find a suitable chassis socket in Maplins (there is a branch nearby), that's what I'll do.

if you MUST try a Sony from this period, PLEASE try to get a working TA 5650 or 8650, the only two v-FET integrateds to make it to the UK I think (there's a 4650 and mk2 versions I believe stateside). These are sweet but lively, with slightly "loose" but tuneful bass, yet truly valve-like reproduction of reverb and atmosphere.

The V-FET devices are impossible to source if the amp gives up, though, aren't they? From memory, David (Hi-Fi World) Price wrote about this a while back - there's more info on 'The Vintage Knob' about the V-FET amps (Yamaha, Sony and others) as well, if anyone's interested.

The lower caste Sony's and most of the other Jap amps in competition were hard as nails and spatially flat as a pancake (the 3650 was a horrid amp compared to the 5650, the latter which I used for several months until I got a Radford STA25 and matching pre).

Anything to share on any of the other amps we've mentioned?

Large knobs in place of meters are acceptable, with extra points are awarded for wood side-cheeks / sleeves, Champagne Gold facia and utterly unique USP's advertised on the facia (super AAA, quartz anything, techno-drive etc)
Amps without tone controls are ineligible.

Large knobs in place of meters are acceptable

Well, the amp doesn't... oh, I see: well, seven knobs; eight toggle switches; a push button; a 1/4" headphone jack; a DIN tape connector and a cut-out for the power bulb to shine through is the best we can do here.

with extra points are awarded for wood side-cheeks / sleeves

:cool: Wooden cabinet with mesh insert above heat sinks... check! Have committed to do a full restoration on this.

Champagne Gold facia

:cool: Check! It's a 1970's Luxman, after all...

and utterly unique USP's advertised on the facia (super AAA, quartz anything, techno-drive etc)

Plea bargain: no 'utterly unique USP' (unless 'SOLID STATE INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER' in a far bigger/bolder font than the maker/model counts);

Oh, and it's all engraved in the fascia, rather than being screen printed.

Amps without tone controls are ineligible.

:cool: Bass and treble adjustable per channel, dual concentric controls for each;
Switchable frequency turnovers - 3 each for bass & treble;
Switchable Low Boost; Low Cut and High Cut filters.

:rolleyes: No 'roudness', though...

Two phono stages, one of the three 'Aux' inputs is adjustable for level (from the back panel) and two tape loops - also seperable into pre & power sections (slider switch separates - 'in' & 'out' sockets to re-join!).

More info at: http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman3.htm

So let's get this straight... a (nearly) 40 year old amp with enough inputs for t/t with 2 arms fitted; CD; tuner; computer source and still 2 tape loops left. Plus twin pre-outs... all on RCA connectors.

I changed the power input connector over to an IEC this afternoon and have been listening ever since. Will need to give it a proper clean of all knobs and switches for long term use, but it's utterly enthralling to listen to and frankly embarrasses so many modern amplifiers I've heard!

Please don't make this a classic, guys - at least not until I've got a couple more for spares!

Engraving is always good (and Luxman are still very keen on it). You get extra points, also, for the twin phono inputs and the adjustable turnover on the tone controls. It's all good. The adjustable aux input is fantastic. Very handy for many modern CDPs...
I suppose we need to make a Classic Earth Points list, so everyone knows where they stand in the hierarchy.

advertisement

Back