advertisement

Chromecast into Dac?

I've used CCA's into DACs and found it worthwhile, even with just basic cheap DACs like the Argos one.

It's got a bit more jitter on the SPDIF output than more expensive devices, but as long as you have a DAC that has good clock recovery, that will overcome that potential issue. See review below, where a Topping DAC is fine, but a Schiit Modi 2 is relatively poor.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

Tried it with two different DACs. Alas, between a CCA and Bluesound Node 2i there is no real contest.

PS Still have one that I use in a secondary setup.

Probably the best bang for buck ever. Not the best sound quality as a streamer though.
A Node 2i is clearly better IMO.

It is not as good as my Aries Mini either but then it was only £30 cw £500 so I’d be surprised if there was not a difference.

Tried it with two different DACs. Alas, between a CCA and Bluesound Node 2i there is no real contest.

PS Still have one that I use in a secondary setup.

Fair enough. My subjective experience is entirely opposite. It sounds the same as any other streamer I've tried.

A quick word Re: Chromecast:
We have a local customer that lost his eyesight entirely. We have put together a system for him that includes: (1) Google Home, (2) Chromecast Audio, connected optically to (3) Naim Muso.
This system is completely voice controlled and sounds very nice. The Google Home is user friendly and very stable, the Chromecast Audio runs smoothly without any stuttering.

Fair enough. My subjective experience is entirely opposite. It sounds the same as any other streamer I've tried.

Likewise. In terms of sound quality when put through the same DAC the Bluesound and the CCA sounded the same to me. The functionality on the BluOS app is far bette though.

I tried Roon playing through a Primare NP5 (co-ax connection to the DAC) and the HDMI Chromecast via a cheap HDMI audio stripper and toslink to the DAC. I couldn't hear any difference.

I've got one of those ethernet power adapters for the Chromecast, and it's connection to the network is rock solid. The Primare Preamp has a DAC streamer board (but won't connect to Roon).

Everything sounds the same, whether it's streamed direct from the NAS via the Primare board, or via Roon and the Chromecast lash-up.

And, as noted in other threads, running your CCA off a battery (a phone charger sort of battery) takes the performance up a notch :)

advertisement

Back