advertisement

Chromebook

MikeMA

pfm Member
I’m leaving Windows behind.

My ancient desktop machine which came with Windows XP installed (a good operating system) is now running Linux Mint (an even better operating system, especially the graphics and speed.)

My Nexus 7 tablet runs Android something-or-other and seems fine for what it is, bit I think I want a lap-top for banking, shopping, and browsing on-the-go, and have come to the conclusion that a Chromebook would fit the bill.

I particularly like the look of the Acer Chromebook 14. Has anyone here got one? What do you think? What other Chromebooks should I look at?

I bought my wife a Chromebook (Lenovo N20p) two years ago and she loves it, so much so she is already terrified of it breaking down. No way back for her to Windows or Linux.

I can't comment on the Acer one you linked to except to point out it has only 2gb of RAM - I would look for one with more RAM if possible. Also consider one with a touchscreen, so that you will be able to use android apps as well when google finally deliver that. Apparently the Dell 13 is the bees knees but they are a bit expensive.

I picked up a Lenovo N22 for 99 sheets on Amazon a few months ago. Got fed up trying to do basic typing on a tablet screen. Won't look back now. 4Gb of RAM is worth looking out for.

You can get a 'proper' refurb laptop for less. Built like a tank with the best keyboard in the business. All parts cheaply available and can be serviced with little more than a screwdriver.

Lenovo T420 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004WNAYS4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

They still sell for around £1200 new.

Win 7 pro is good but if you really don't want Windows then any flavour of free Unix will do.

Cheers,

DV

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You can get a 'proper' refurb laptop for less. Built like a tank with the best keyboard in the business. All parts cheaply available and can be serviced with little more than a screwdriver.

Win 7 pro is good but if you really don't want Windows then any flavour of free Unix will do.

Cheers,

DV

I came on to ask if anyone has successfully replaced a PC/Laptop with an Android Tablet, as I'm way overdue a new laptop & want to go that direction.

Saw this though & just bought one. Rude not to at that price.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm really wanting to avoid getting locked into endless Windows grief again,and I really don't want something that looks like it was designed in 1984. Has no one tried the ace looking Acer ?

I'll wipe Windows off the minute it arrives. Replace with Linux.

I want to escape Google as much as Windows/Apple. Theresa May/MI5 are welcome to look at my browsing, it's Commercial entities I object to. I object to the fact that when I sign into my Gmail, I'm also signing into the browser, resulting in Amazon et al trying to flog me stuff.

Agree, the Chromebook looks nice, but I've had Alluminium before. I was frightened to scratch or ding it. I've got a 7 year old Lenovo. Built like a tank. It's been around the world, in industrial environments, gets slung about. It's bomb proof.

Not trying to put you off the CB btw, but that Lenovo is a lot more for the money & you said you like Mint..

I'll wipe Windows off the minute it arrives. Replace with Linux.

I want to escape Google as much as Windows/Apple. Theresa May/MI5 are welcome to look at my browsing, it's Commercial entities I object to. I object to the fact that when I sign into my Gmail, I'm also signing into the browser, resulting in Amazon et al trying to flog me stuff.

Agree, the Chromebook looks nice, but I've had Alluminium before. I was frightened to scratch or ding it. I've got a 7 year old Lenovo. Built like a tank. It's been around the world, in industrial environments, gets slung about. It's bomb proof.

Not trying to put you off the CB btw, but that Lenovo is a lot more for the money & you said you like Mint..

I wouldn't be so hasty. Win 7 Pro is good and you may need it in the future. Buy an ultra bay caddy like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C0DCPKI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21. Then you could use your old XP disk in the caddy inserted into the optical ultra bay and stick what ever flavour of Linux that you like on it. You will then be able to boot cleanly into Windows or Linux.

In addition the Windows version may have the Lenovo goodies installed

Cheers,

DV

I wouldn't be so hasty. Win 7 Pro is good and you may need it in the future. Buy an ultra bay caddy like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C0DCPKI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21. Then you could use your old XP disk in the caddy inserted into the optical ultra bay and stick what ever flavour of Linux that you like on it. You will then be able to boot cleanly into Windows or Linux.

In addition the Windows version may have the Lenovo goodies installed

Cheers,

DV

Thanks DV

Yes, I'd already decided I'll max out the RAM at 8Mb for £28 & a 275Mb SSD for £77. Linux on the SSD & keep the HDD in the drawer in case I ever need Windows.

Cheers,

DV

Mine arrived today. Pristine. The only clue it's not new is a strong smell of cleaning fluid.

Can't beat Levovo for solid build & great keyboard IMHO.

Great shout DV. BARGAIN!!!!

MikeMa,

I'm a big fan of the chromebook currently typing on an acer c720 I bought a couple of years ago. It does 99% of what I want to do, but I do occasionally have to use windows or linux depending what I'm up to, things like upgrading the sat nav and that sort of thing.

I was a bit concerned about the build quality, as every Acer laptop I have ever seen has missing keys or bits of snapped bezel, but the chromebooks seem really well built. I did have the 14 inch one you are looking at for a couple of days, although good, it was just a bit too big to fit in my bag with the rest of the laptops I have to lug about.

If you are so inspired you can put linux on them too, do a google on 'crouton'

Having said that the refurb lenovos DV linked to give you a 'proper' kompewta for less.

S

advertisement

Back