advertisement

Christmas alternatives.

Start with a good wedge of pate and a damn fine Oloroso sherry.

Follow that with pan fried partridge breasts in a white port sauce. Serve with potatoes dauphinoise and cabbage and bacon.

Drink with a light Pinot Noir or something Gamay based.

Take a break then come back for some Roquefort and biccies. Savour with a vintage Port.

That would suit me just fine I think.
Some winners here and elsewhere, thanks.

Here's the proposed starting XI:

Big breakfast, then a bike ride. Back mid afternoon.

Early evening: Pate, onion confit, melba toasts, side salad. Serve with Quarts de Chaume.

Duck roasted with maybe prunes, roasted veg, red wine sauce, smashed chickpeas.up. Wine prob Burgundy or southern Rhone, tbc.

Cheese optional but unlikely.

Dessert: Xmas pud, bought, proper rum sauce.

Coffee, digeztifs, sleep, farting.

I will have a houseful of mince pies, should malnutrition strike before bedtime.

Nice.

In reality I just don't have the appetite I used to. So, on Christmas Day, I won't even bother with a starter. We're having a large slow grown chicken, stuffing, chipolatas and veg followed by pudding, That is more than enough food for me.

There will be a small cheeseboard but that will be for evening snacks.

I've got the indigestion relief looked out already.

Early evening: Pate, onion confit, melba toasts, side salad. Serve with Quarts de Chaume.

Duck roasted with maybe prunes, roasted veg, red wine sauce, smashed chickpeas.up. Wine prob Burgundy or southern Rhone, tbc.

I will have a houseful of mince pies, should malnutrition strike before bedtime.
What time in the early evening should I arrive?

I'm thinking it might be fish fingers this year, like it was many years ago when the frozen turkey failed to defrost in time.

Yep, probably best to do the bike ride before all that!:D

Am I alone in not liking turkey*? Beef Welly is a good idea - I tried making one a couple of years ago and it was a disaster - soggy pastry and overcooked beef. But I think I know where I went wrong, so worth another stab

*well, not liking may be a bit strong, but I don't find it any better than a good chicken

That sounds marvellous and the bonus is that duck (and goose) make for the most delicious curry should you feel so inclined.

I followed a Jamie Oliver recipe a few years ago from his Christmas TV show that was a bit finicky but delicious.

So that's the brief. Any suggestions

I would cook something that you know you like.

A big chunk of beef or lamb will easily turn into a second day curry or chilli con carne, maybe even a third day meal? Bonus for the Christmas period.

Or go buffet! Roast a chicken, which you can pull apart with your hands, whilst still warm .
Make a huge tray of roast potatoes, enough so that you can pop one in each time you walk past them, with a bit of salt. Yum.
A nice pork pie, a load of cheeses, some grapes and pears. A homemade quiche lorraine is delicious. I would want pickles and cheese on sticks, just the way I roll. Again the joy of buffet is that you can do the same again the next day. Buy or make a pile of coleslaw, and drown everything in it. Same goes for potato salad.

Or roll the dice and go shopping late on Christmas Eve? See what’s left?

One of those pies in a tin? Relive the romance of the 70’s and get a Vesta? (I think you said no to curry o_O)

Personally speaking, I would like a lobster, prawns and other seafood and eat that with the minimum of preparation. Some nice crusty bread, and chilled white wine. Some watercress if I could find any. That is what I would like, but we are having pork.

I'd have a go at that gnarly tinned fish with teeth too. Is that from the Far East somewhere? It's the sort of thing that they might go for in vario us places there.

That's a dead cert! Pork pie is a good idea. I know a source of good ones.
Perhaps I'm the last person to have tried this but on the recommendation of a friend I recently had a hot pork pie. A half decent Melton mowbray heated up in the oven. It was a revelation.

Perhaps I'm the last person to have tried this but on the recommendation of a friend I recently had a hot pork pie. A half decent Melton mowbray heated up in the oven. It was a revelation.
You clearly have not spent time in Yorkshire. A pie and peas supper is a staple of social gatherings, especially anything related to sport. This is a hot pork pie served with mushy peas and either gravy, mint sauce or both. Haute cuisine it is not, however it's a good addition to an evening out.

I love a hot pork pie with mushy peas, often had this when I lived in Huddersfield. With a good splash of malt vinegar. I think I'll revisit this, haven't thought of it for years, ta.

advertisement

Back