advertisement

Chord Qutest question ...

If you're planning to use HQPlayer, then I suspect you're hoping to upsample to beyond 192KHz. In that case, you would need to use something that can send USB, as 192KHz is the maximum for S/PDIF.
The Qutest does support 384kHz S/PDIF on the BNC inputs, and up to 768kHz when using the dual BNC option.

The Qutest does support 384kHz S/PDIF on the BNC inputs, and up to 768kHz when using the dual BNC option.
That's interesting, as I've long seen that S/PDIF (regardless of whether that was coax, optical or BNC) was limited to 192KHz. However, the Chord website confirmed those specs:
  • 2x BNC Coax (Red): 44.1kHz – 384kHz – 16bit to 32bit
  • 1x Dual data mode input (using both BNC coax inputs together): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit
I suspect some of that is proprietary, as I know many devices max out with S/PDIF at 96KHz, let alone 192KHz. 🤔

Fortunately USB easily supports the data rates necessary for 768KHz, and most devices will do that, so that's the clear path forward.

That really is interesting, as I found the Qutest to be one of the more relaxed DACs in my extensive comparisons. Clearly we have different ears. :)
And reading reviews before a demo that was pretty much what I was hoping for. My ageing ears finally got through to me that I needed a more relaxed sound and it seemed to fit the bill. In practice though that was not what any of us heard. I could have done with it delivering what I hoped as it would have saved around £2k and I have often wondered why it wasn’t what any of us had hoped to hear but it just wasn’t.

My suspicion was that the dealer may have set the voltage too hot for the associated kit but it’s all irrelevant at this point.

That really is interesting, as I found the Qutest to be one of the more relaxed DACs in my extensive comparisons. Clearly we have different ears. :)

That was my experience too. I A/B tested it against the Merason Frerot DAC (BurrBrown) which is a smooth but detailed DAC "analogue-like sound" is the phrase tossed about in a number of the reviews, which I concur with. The two DACs were more alike than different.

My suspicion was that the dealer may have set the voltage too hot for the associated kit but it’s all irrelevant at this point.

This is a real risk IMO. I’m sure 3V is too hot for my kit, it leaves me with no room for adjustment on the volume knob (way too loud at 8 o‘clock when starting at 7) and I suspect actually starts driving my Verdier pre into valve compression mode like a Fender Princeton or something. Not harsh, but definitely a little unmanageable and maybe getting a bit of that ‘studio compressor punch’ thing. As such I’m using the variable outs on the Chord DSX. For some reason I can’t explain they are quieter on full than the fixed outs. I don’t understand that one at all!

And reading reviews before a demo that was pretty much what I was hoping for. My ageing ears finally got through to me that I needed a more relaxed sound and it seemed to fit the bill. In practice though that was not what any of us heard. I could have done with it delivering what I hoped as it would have saved around £2k and I have often wondered why it wasn’t what any of us had hoped to hear but it just wasn’t.

I should mention that when using the included SMPS, there was a definitely graininess from the Qutest, so perhaps that's what you perceived. I know that as soon as I realized a linear supply helped, then I never used the SMPS again.

And as you mentioned, the Qutest has the ability to adjust the output levels, so perhaps it was too hot for the pre-amp.

That's interesting as I found it forward, bright and synthetic sounding, literally couldn't stand listening to it after I'd got over the initial impressive level of detail and speed. I don't remember seeing any reviews that called it relaxed sounding - I think Chord themselves called it "incisive".

I wonder if there's some strange sample variation going on? I tried it on all output voltages and filters etc.

That's interesting as I found it forward, bright and synthetic sounding, literally couldn't stand listening to it after I'd got over the initial impressive level of detail and speed. I don't remember seeing any reviews that called it relaxed sounding - I think Chord themselves called it "incisive".

I wonder if there's some strange sample variation going on? I tried it on all output voltages and filters etc.
It’s fascinating how we all hear things differently as I find Chord DACs natural sounding whereas most others a bit synthetic. It just goes to illustrate how necessary it is to try these things in our own systems, room and choice of music. I wonder if the equipment we partner the DAC with also affects how we perceive it.

Out of curiosity, what's your DAC?

And have you had an ES or AKM DAC (those I did find synthetic, as you put it)

Yes sorry - how do I get the best sound quality from the Chord Qutest? One example seems to be by streaming from HQPlayer at a sampling rate that will bypass the Qutest digital filter.

Sorry I am getting ahead of myself - I should just use the Chord as it stands with the filter options given before I jump into deep water.
Answer: Plixir Elite BDC Power supply with Statement DC Cable or Ghent JSSG360 Gotham GAC4/1 UltraPro DC Cable. Audiowise SRC-DX. Dual-BNC into the Qutest with the HF and LF filters from Thor Labs, MiniCircuits, or Audiowise.

HQP -> USB -> SRC-DX -> Dual BNC -> Qutest.

Upsample to 705k/768k to bypass the internal WTA1 filters.

I should mention that when using the included SMPS, there was a definitely graininess from the Qutest, so perhaps that's what you perceived. I know that as soon as I realized a linear supply helped, then I never used the SMPS again.

And as you mentioned, the Qutest has the ability to adjust the output levels, so perhaps it was too hot for the pre-amp.

Having read the Rob Watts thing about why there isn't much point trying to upgrade from the wallwart, I've resisted it for years.

But now have a linear PS arriving for mine shortly.

HQP -> USB -> SRC-DX -> Dual BNC -> Qutest.
💯

FWIW, after a couple years of trying different filters, I find myself coming back to poly-sinc-xtr-shor-lp more than any other, it simply blows life into the music in a very special way. Poly-sinc-gauss-long is also very good with the Qutest, but keep in mind this is very system dependent, so YMMV.

It’s fascinating how we all hear things differently as I find Chord DACs natural sounding whereas most others a bit synthetic. It just goes to illustrate how necessary it is to try these things in our own systems, room and choice of music. I wonder if the equipment we partner the DAC with also affects how we perceive it.
Without the external linear supply, it sounded grainy and synthetic to me too. The LPS got rid of the nasties, leaving it much more natural and liquid sounding, but also too relaxed for my tastes. The Denafrips Pontus II has more excitement, but was a bit overexuberant compared to the Qutest. Then the Benchmark DAC2 was more detailed, but too clinical. I didn't strike paydirt until I hit the likes of the Weiss DAC204, Ferrum Wandla+Hypsos and T+A DAC200. :)

Without the external linear supply, it sounded grainy and synthetic to me too. The LPS got rid of the nasties, leaving it much more natural and liquid sounding, but also too relaxed for my tastes. The Denafrips Pontus II has more excitement, but was a bit overexuberant compared to the Qutest. Then the Benchmark DAC2 was more detailed, but too clinical. I didn't strike paydirt until I hit the likes of the Weiss DAC204, Ferrum Wandla+Hypsos and T+A DAC200. :)
Just to be clear I didn’t use a LPS with my Qutest as I was happy with the supplied one and, to my ears, the Qutest didn’t sound grainy or synthetic. Quite the contrary in fact unlike my Benchmark, Hegel, Topping etc which all have what I would describe as a slightly artificial unnatural quality. Not night and day differences by any stretch of the ‘imagination’ but for long term listening the Chord DACs haven’t distracted me from the music whereas the others have.

It comes down to taste of course. When I was able to compare my TT2 with standard power supply against a Dave with expensive Jacobs power supply (both with m scaler) I found the Dave maybe a tad smooth and if anything I preferred the greater energy of the TT2. Mind you, to my hearing the difference wasn’t huge and I would have been happy with the sound of either but not the price of the Dave Jacobs combo.

Talking of price, and assuming one doesn’t need a DAC with a pre etc, the Qutest imo is the sweet spot in the Chord range. Great performance before the law of diminishing returns is too punative.

Long-term, happy QUTEST user here.

Also note that there are three power outputs: 3V is the maximum and the lower output options are achieved through digital attenuation - according to Rob Watts.

So if you don’t trust the transparency of digital attenuation, 3V output is the purest form of output.

Three unadulterated Volts of goodness! 😂
Will overload a Yamaha amp though! 😮

Couldn't you just use -10db attenuators with the 3V output? This is what I've been doing with my 2qute.

Couldn't you just use -10db attenuators with the 3V output? This is what I've been doing with my 2qute.
That is the problem with the 2Qute, only one non standard 3v output. No such problem with the Qutest, just select the correct output, no need to use attenuators.

Not wanting to hijack the thread (cue a a slight hijacking) curious how you find those 3 DACs compare? Had them all on my radar for a while. Cheers

Having read the Rob Watts thing about why there isn't much point trying to upgrade from the wallwart, I've resisted it for years.

But now have a linear PS arriving for mine shortly.
I'm in the same camp regarding resisting the LPS. Mainly because the DAC sounds detailed, fluid and is very enjoyable. Notably better than the DAC in the SuperUniti that preceeded it.

Do let us know how you get on with the LPS. I'm very curious.

Anyone any idea where 3V as an acceptable line level came from?

I don’t understand why anyone would want this high a level. It is far higher than most power amps could handle (typically 1-2V) so no advantage when using a passive preamp even into amps at the upper end of the range. The now standard 2V for digital was viewed as too much for many preamps when it was introduced and arguably a key reason people didn’t subjectively like CD as it often subtly clipped their preamp stage leading to a perception of harshness and thinness. I don’t see why the figure seems to be creeping ever upwards. It basically means I can’t use the fixed outs on the DSX.

advertisement

Back