advertisement

Chord mojo 2 v chord Hugo

Knipester

pfm Member
Second hand prices if the original Hugo are similar to new prices if the mojo 2.
Has anyone compared the two models?

I have a mojo 2 and am perfectly happy with it, using HiFiman Sundara and various iem’s but not heard a Hugo. There’s info below you may find helpful. For portability, eq and crossfeed with excellent build and measurements the mojo 2 is a good buy with 5yr warranty if bought from certain retailers, a second hand Hugo would not be my first choice as while I’m sure it’ll measure well and be capable, it’s an old design and will be out of warranty.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hord-mojo-2-review-portable-dac-hp-amp.34160/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hord-hugo-2-review-portable-dac-hp-amp.35812/

a second hand Hugo would not be my first choice as while I’m sure it’ll measure well and be capable, it’s an old design and will be out of warranty.

There's a reason used gear are sold at lower prices. Nevertheless, i would share the same concern with Chord DACs which run on batteries such as the Hugo. I bought a used QBD76 about 4 years ago (no batteries) and no issues at all. Most importantly it sounds great.

I have a mojo 2 and am perfectly happy with it, using HiFiman Sundara and various iem’s but not heard a Hugo. There’s info below you may find helpful. For portability, eq and crossfeed with excellent build and measurements the mojo 2 is a good buy with 5yr warranty if bought from certain retailers, a second hand Hugo would not be my first choice as while I’m sure it’ll measure well and be capable, it’s an old design and will be out of warranty.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hord-mojo-2-review-portable-dac-hp-amp.34160/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hord-hugo-2-review-portable-dac-hp-amp.35812/
Thanks I’ve owned a Hugo before and it was very good, I currently own a mojo 1. I get your point re warranty for batteries

Thanks I’ve owned a Hugo before and it was very good, I currently own a mojo 1. I get your point re warranty for batteries

For your information the Mojo 2 is MUCH better than the Mojo 1 with its DSP functions. Also a Chord employee told me when I was thinking of "trading" in my Mojo's for the Hugo it would not be vastly better than the Mojo as it has a similar amount of taps. It is more designed towards a desktop rather than a portable component. However I actually have no proof of this being the case.

For your information the Mojo 2 is MUCH better than the Mojo 1 with its DSP functions. Also a Chord employee told me when I was thinking of "trading" in my Mojo's for the Hugo it would not be vastly better than the Mojo as it has a similar amount of taps. It is more designed towards a desktop rather than a portable component. However I actually have no proof of this being the case.
Thanks I have read that

Is the Mojo2 better, ignoring the DSP though?

Define better. If anyone states that they can tell a difference between the two in a genuine blind test without eq and level matched then I’d give their opinion as much consideration as i’d trust a headline in the Daily Mail.

Choose on features and suitability for your needs.

Define better. If anyone states that they can tell a difference between the two in a genuine blind test without eq and level matched then I’d give their opinion as much consideration as i’d trust a headline in the Daily Mail.

Choose on features and suitability for your needs.

I'm not sure you would use it without eq as the unit using dsp has far superior soundstage and depth. Makes the Mojo sound flat. Immediately switched mine off when comparing the two at CamJam this year.

I haven’t done a direct comparison but have gone from Mojo1 to Hugo2 and it was a significant change. Hugo1 had something of a cult following, including people running it high end systems over on the green forum. Batteries are easily replaced and you could resell the Hugo1 should you try one for pretty much what you pay for it

I had a Hugo 1 for years which sounded great, then bought a Hugo 2 basically for greater utility-it has a remote, so works nicely as a digital preamp. The real kick was getting a 2Go which has SD card slots with huge capacity able to play DSD files, meaning it’s a fully self contained system. Right now it’s hooked up via ethernet as a Roon end point driving an Icepower 1200as2 into ML Electromotions as a second system and it’s fantastic. The headphone output is also top notch. I think what I’m saying is that the H2 in its native form is very good but you can turn it into something fairly remarkable.

I had a Hugo 1 for years which sounded great, then bought a Hugo 2 basically for greater utility-it has a remote, so works nicely as a digital preamp. The real kick was getting a 2Go which has SD card slots with huge capacity able to play DSD files, meaning it’s a fully self contained system. Right now it’s hooked up via ethernet as a Roon end point driving an Icepower 1200as2 into ML Electromotions as a second system and it’s fantastic. The headphone output is also top notch. I think what I’m saying is that the H2 in its native form is very good but you can turn it into something fairly remarkable.

Thanks but even a used Hugo2 is more than I want to spend given the limited listening via headphones I do

For me the original Hugo were impressive sounding, at least the first weeks.
Design and use were absurd strange.
The battery needed replacement - shortly after purchase (s/h) and when I found I never really used it for cans, it was flogged.

For the mojo2 more thought was put into the charging circuit which should preserve the battery.
I have a Hugo TT2 which is superb for headphone listening. The mojo2 is on my wish list as a source for my second system.

advertisement

Back