advertisement

Chord Mojo 2 - user experiences

artless

I bought the Focal Celestee headphones at the recent London CanJam show and I am very happy with them.

However, per-Sony-fied has piqued my interest in the Chord Mojo 2, stating that it improved the sound quality in many respects.

So, I am looking to hopefully get a demo at my local Richer Sounds in the next couple of weeks, but I have some queries.

I will be streaming Spotify via my phone or the desktop PC.

1. How do I stream a digital signal via the 3.5mm output jack.
2. Or should I use the USB-C connection for a digital output/input instead?
3. How much of a faff is the user interface? Do you need to keep the manual handy at all times?

Any user experiences or tips gratefully received.

If your using Spotify then I wouldn’t bother with an expensive dac/amp like the mojo 2 as it will be way overkill for the streaming bit rate of Spotify and you cannot stream to the mojo unless you also connect a poly (chord streamer). Mojo 2 user interface takes a few hours use and playing with to be familiar with the operation.

I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between my mojo 2 and an apple dongle if db levels were set equal and no crossfeed/eq was implemented on the mojo 2.

If you are set on using Spotify then I’d just buy a small dongle dac, qudelix 5k is rather good as it can apply eq through its phone app/desktop app and can be used as a wired connection or with Bluetooth using aptX HD, AAC, LDAC and it has an internal battery so won’t deplete your phone in use.

https://eliseaudio.com/products/qudelix-5k

This is purely a headphone/line out dac. It is just analogue out & digital in via USB or S/PDIF ports. However you can purchase the Poly for wireless connection using bluetooth or wi-fi (when at home). Generally the user interface means not a lot. The Power button changes colour when bit rate changes, normally red for red book CD & well other colours for higher rates. Spotify bit rate isn't catered for. It will always power on red.

From what I can make out the new DSP settings make it even more of a faff with the forth button. Personally, I think, once it's set up should be easy to use. The colour button changes for V- & V+ I guess don't really matter for normal daily use. V+ is volume up & V- is volume down. Just try to remember to turn it down before every use so you don't blow your ears :eek: The line out level of the Mojo 1 had a auto safe mode where it would return to headphone level when switched off to avoid ruining your headphones should one forget the state it was in last time you used it. Not sure how the 2 works since line level is now achieved in a different manner. Basically by pressing the volume button until said line level is achieved, noted when the volume buttons are a particular colour.

If you require to know certain settings you could always make a small chart & stick it to the back of the Mojo o_O

I disagree with the Spotify bit in the sense that Spotify sounds noticeably better with a better dac.

If you are set on using Spotify then I’d just buy a small dongle dac, qudelix 5k is rather good as it can apply eq through its phone app/desktop app and can be used as a wired connection or with Bluetooth using aptX HD, AAC, LDAC and it has an internal battery so won’t deplete your phone in use.
https://eliseaudio.com/products/qudelix-5k

Very interesting piece of kit. Never heard of it before.
The form factor is great and the functionality is excellent. An Android app to mess about with EQ and DSP (till I get bored of too many options).
Also, plenty of output for my headphones (Elegia/Celestee) : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_jbPyDhGzYmm-kuL8gE09_o7-qNPNnMyyXmDNvMueIw

And a good reputation for support.

Thanks for the heads up.

advertisement

Back