advertisement

Chord Company GroundAray

I have two other "interests" or hobbies if you prefer: cycling & photography. All three can cost a little to a lot! The latter two are generally not so prone to foo therefore governed more by the laws of physics & mechanics by a few orders of magnitude. Hi-Fi is by far the more entertaining regarding following forums where many choose to ignore physics when it suits them but seeming to forget that science enables them to listen to music in the 1st place.

To my mind, no purveyor of foo has come close to Peter Belt, especially when it came to convincing people, even those with little interest in stereo. One very powerful argument that's difficult to counter is "believe your own ears!" I had a friend who very much took this approach. He came over to my place many years ago. I had bought some new interconnects & asked if I could swap them over to see if he could hear a difference. I solemnly told him when I'd swapped & did it a few times. He concluded that there was a big difference. He was extremely unhappy when I told him that I hadn't swapped them at all - such is the power of expectation bias. I would not recommend this strategy if you want to keep your friends. Is there life beyond existing measurements? Are there hidden variables? To me, that's more difficult to answer.

If you read the Hi-Fi World review, you’ll discover that they are not even shorting links; there is apparently no connection from the signal pins to the outer casing on any of them and the BNC one doesn’t even have a centre pin!

So apparently they work their magic using just a chassis/ground connection and nothing else. Must be the unicorn pubes and magic dust inside, I suppose.

As a long- term Chord Company user and a fan of the company’s products in general, even I’m thinking of a word that rhymes with ‘rowlocks’.

To my mind, no purveyor of foo has come close to Peter Belt, especially when it came to convincing people, even those with little interest in stereo.

True, but I'd argue that Belt was just batsh*t crazy. He did seem to believe in the nonsense he peddled, and he never charged stupid prices for anything iirc. All his stuff was reasonably affordable.

Present day foo peddlers just seem to be intent on parting gullible audiophools from their money.

In fact some of Belt's ideas were free if you had a bit of spare tin foil
I like that kind of crazy optimism, but don't have any time at all for makers who set out to produce crap and deceive the gullible. Well, maybe enough time to find them and take a firm grip on their delicate parts.

I've given it back now, but as I recall there is a rather confused description of the things being assembled by hand in a very time consuming process involving 'materials' and 'components', designed to 'damp' stuff or summat.. err hang on....

From their website:

Oh that write up is prime proper bollox! Our hopefully soon to be ex PM couldn't have added much really:D

Hi-Fi is by far the more entertaining regarding following forums where many choose to ignore physics when it suits them but seeming to forget that science enables them to listen to music in the 1st place.

Amen to that!
t2776.gif

True, but I'd argue that Belt was just batsh*t crazy. He did seem to believe in the nonsense he peddled, and he never charged stupid prices for anything iirc. All his stuff was reasonably affordable.

Present day foo peddlers just seem to be intent on parting gullible audiophools from their money.

Indeed but not the 1st to be one note short of an octave! A fool & their money...

advertisement

Back