advertisement

Chord, Aardvark, CAD ethernet filters... anyone any experience?

uncl_nigel

pfm Member
Has anyone actually put an ethernet filter into their audio network?
If so, which one and was it worthwhile?

We tried the Network Acoustics Muon filter, smoothed things over too much and robbed the music of it's life. We did buy a Network Acoustics Muon AES/EBU cable though which was very good after comparing with a couple of cables from Shunyata which came highly recommended. No experience with the filters you mention in your title.

I’ve heard the Aardvark and, if I used Ethernet for music, I’d definitely have one in the system. It’s not like a mains filter that robs dynamics and energy, it brings networked music up much closer to the performance of CD.

I’ve not tried an Ethernet filter but this one looks like something worth investigating:

I’d keep away from audiophile brands as they generally either don’t work as intended or poor value for money.

I do use an Intona USB isolator and I recommend it.

I’ve not tried an Ethernet filter but this one looks like something worth investigating:

I’d keep away from audiophile brands as they generally either don’t work as intended or poor value for money.

I do use an Intona USB isolator and I recommend it.
I have some of those DXE filters here. I suspect some Audiophile items are just Baaske with a new jacket, similar to what happens with some Switches and FMC items.

As well as DXE worth looking at the Baaske MI 1005 - they supply the medical industry with filters including Ethernet ones.

You’ll get off eBay if patient for £50 ish

Network Isolator MI 1005

Network isolator for the isolation of medical equipment Safety: IEC 60601-1:2005/AMD1:2012/AMD2:2020 (Edition 3.2) EMV: EN…
baaske-medical.com

The DXE ones are about £40 each from here, buy in pairs

https://www.hamradio.co.uk/dx-engineering-iso-plus-ethernet-rf-filters-dxe-iso-plus-2-pd-10944

I should add that the hifi system switch is a Nordost QNet connected to the NAS, DAC and the rest of the network. The main network switch is the ISP's "box".

I have some of those DXE filters here. I suspect some Audiophile items are just Baaske with a new jacket, similar to what happens with some Switches and FMC items.

As well as DXE worth looking at the Baaske MI 1005 - they supply the medical industry with filters including Ethernet ones.

You’ll get off eBay if patient for £50 ish

Network Isolator MI 1005

Network isolator for the isolation of medical equipment Safety: IEC 60601-1:2005/AMD1:2012/AMD2:2020 (Edition 3.2) EMV: EN…
baaske-medical.com

The DXE ones are about £40 each from here, buy in pairs

https://www.hamradio.co.uk/dx-engineering-iso-plus-ethernet-rf-filters-dxe-iso-plus-2-pd-10944

I tried a "medical" Baaske MI 1005 in my own system as part of my market research. Sonically, absolutely appalling: my system sounded far better without it. I'm not sure they're intended to address RFI in medical settings, more to do with avoiding equipment damage through lightning strikes or power surges perhaps. Either way, strongly dis-recommended!

I should add that the hifi system switch is a Nordost QNet connected to the NAS, DAC and the rest of the network. The main network switch is the ISP's "box".
Any of the filters you mention must be installed just before the streamer to have any/maximum effect. The same applies to a switch, which is where I presume you have your QNet installed. The main ISP thingie may well technically be a switch (as well as a router) but it's not going to do anyting sonically because of where it is.

I tried a "medical" Baaske MI 1005 in my own system as part of my market research. Sonically, absolutely appalling: my system sounded far better without it. I'm not sure they're intended to address RFI in medical settings, more to do with avoiding equipment damage through lightning strikes or power surges perhaps. Either way, strongly dis-recommended!
Have a mate using the MI 1005 he bought a wee while ago, reckons it was a worthwhile purchase, folk can try it for themselves and decide.

AIUI a network surge protector will have a grounding cable attached, the MI units are designed to prevent current leakage so don’t have a grounding strap.

Lightning protectors use some combo depending on £ of thermistors/differential gas discharge tubes/current limiting series resistors and low cap diodes. The ones we‘ve used on RJ11 cabling use thermistors - typically we’re trying to protect phones/alarms/faxes/routers in rural properties.

FWIW I use the DXE-ISO kits at home which is an EMI and RF common mode filter, often used in a Ham radio scenario. Not an expensive tweak in the context of a lot of systems pfm folk have judging by the system pics threads. Whether it makes any odds, only way is suck it and see. I use one at each end of the chain.

Have a mate using the MI 1005 he bought a wee while ago, reckons it was a worthwhile purchase, folk can try it for themselves and decide.
Of course. I love a nice theory as much as the next man, but you can’t beat experience even if everyone’s is different.

advertisement

Back