advertisement

Choosing direction for second system (all in one vs separates)

If you go down the separates route, I can heartily recommend the Primare option. I have been using various Primare amps and CD players exclusively for 25 years and never a hitch in terms of reliability. The build quality is superb and they sound fantastic.

Thanks for sharing ! will give this a watch/listen.
Honest question, the floor is textured oak wood (kind of a reclaimed look). Would you consider that a hard floor.
Also and without wanting to imply that room acoustics are good, wanted to shay that this is half the room with the remaining room being busier with furniture (bed, armchair etc).
Yes, it's a hard flooring. Being subtly textured doesn't absorb the acoustics. It may very very sligthly disperse things but not in any way that matters.

Well being half furnished will certainly help, so you very likely won't be having anything like the issue that is in the first part of the video, but from your picture the area of empty flooring looks quite significant and that is most definitely not going to be helping the overall quality you're getting from your system.

While Like the blue rack wagon, I'd guess a huge upgrade soundwise is there.
I absolutely agree. Its part of the upgrade plan and it should help with cable management and extra real estate.

I really like these mid century modern style cabinets. I guess will not have the full sonic benefits of a hifi rack but looks will work much better in the bedroom!

Try it with the E30 in pre mode and see how it sounds.

Today I had the time to test my Topping E50, Auralic G1, Quad 303 combo only to realise that my Quad 303 is not working in stereo mode ????

Left RCA sounds in both speakers, Right RCA no sound. Bought it a couple of months ago and only really resting it now

kwZVX0k.jpeg

8M0VFH4.jpeg

22n7oni.jpeg

Does anyone know how the rca cable should be wired to the Quad 5 din.
Wondering if the mono behaviour is caused by the cable??

UG9dEWc.jpeg

s19t6dz.jpeg

3k17g6q.jpeg
PkmRx2g.jpeg

Both are wrong (and a right mess!).

Pin 1 Left channel
Pin 2 Earth
Pin 3 Right channel
Pin 4 no connection

PS Right = red, left = white, screen = earth.

Both are wrong (and a right mess!).

Pin 1 Left channel
Pin 2 Earth
Pin 3 Right channel
Pin 4 no connection

PS Right = red, left = white, screen = earth.
Cheers!

Then the Quad is off to a friend who is good with these things!

Project Topping, Quad, Auralic, P3s on hold....

Back to the subject of my bedroom system, I am focusing on the 2 speaker options which are closer to my heart! The Tannoy Legacy Eatons and the Audio Note AN-Js.

I was able to find 2 pairs that are within reach as follows
- Legacy Eatons- Private sale - Used but as new condition 2.800 eur + shipping to Cyprus 400 eur.
- Audio Note AN-J Hemp - Dealer - Demo pair 3.800 eur (made an offer for 3.500 eur incl shipping and waiting for feedback)

I love my Ardens in my main system and I am sure that I will enjoy the Eatons as much. At the same time I am really keen to go down the AN Rabbit whole :)

Views and thoughts welcome !!!

While I am still in the search for Tannoy Legacy Eatons and Audio Note AN-Js I am considering whether I should add a third option to my list.

The Klipsch Heresy III or IV.

I considered the Heresys in the past when a local opportunity came about, but they were sold by the time I enquired.

From descriptions they also seem to produce a dynamic and room filling sound and to be ok with room boundary placement. They are even more efficient than the AN-Js but seem to be a bit less accurate in their imaging and generally brighter in their presentation.

Does anyone have any experience with the Heresys??

Go for the legacy eatons .brilliant price .they are super easy to position .tolerant of almost any amp and adjustable in sound .at that price you can move them on if not right for you

Go for the legacy eatons .brilliant price .they are super easy to position .tolerant of almost any amp and adjustable in sound .at that price you can move them on if not right for you

I am really tempted as I am really enjoying the Ardens in my main system!

My only reservation being my urge to try different equipment with a different sonic signature (Audio Note or Klipsch).
Both these options have issues. Klipschs (now considering the Fortes) are huge and almost impossible to ship and ANs are super expensive and so hard to find used

Ended up ordering a pair of AN-Js which are in the process of being delivered by DHL. Should be here next week.

In the meantime though I received the recapped and rca-ed Quad 330. So I am trying the combo out this weekend 😊

CVwWQ98.jpeg

d0nCxYb.jpeg

Back to the subject of my bedroom system, I am focusing on the 2 speaker options which are closer to my heart! The Tannoy Legacy Eatons and the Audio Note AN-Js.

But those a such a different routes. AN is for AN amp (and source preferably). Tannoy is totally different. It’s all about how you plan to build a full system not only speakers.

But those a such a different routes. AN is for AN amp (and source preferably). Tannoy is totally different. It’s all about how you plan to build a full system not only speakers.
Absolutely!!

I guess the thread here includes deliberations before deciding to go down the AN-J route.

I started a separate thread relating to amplifier choices for the AN-Js. Having said that, current thinking is to put off the AN amplifier upgrade for a while. Both for cash flow purposes....but also to take things one step at a time.

Browsing through the forum posts, I did find a very interesting discussion on amplifier pairings for the AN speakers. One of the suggested pairings was a 1980s Sansui integrated. Having found a 250 euro recapped Sansui AU D7 locally I am seriously considering it as a starting point. Other than being cheap and well reviewed sound wise it does come with an a/b speaker configuration which helps with my bathroom speakers and an mm/mc phono stage.

Sansui amps was the beginning of my hifi journey in the mid 80s so I am really keen to give this pairing a try!!

I've got the Eatons in my bedroom system and they're great. I've got a small bedroom so I've had to power them with an Amptastic as they don't have enough power to energise the Tannoys and therefore, my bedroom to excess. Fwiw, my preamp is a Bel Canto Pre5.

advertisement

Back