advertisement

Chili Peppers - where to start?

kasperhauser

pfm Member
My only exposure to the Red Hot Chili Peppers is through the radio hits, most of which I like. I think I may be partial to the mellow side - Californication, Scar Tissue, Soul To Squeeze, etc. Not big on the rappier stuff a la Give It Away.

Is there an album or albums that might be a good starting point? A friend recommended Mother's Milk. Dunno, myself. Tips appreciated.

Sounds like you need Californication, By the Way, and Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Try Musiczone they're usually pretty cheap in there

Yeah! Blood Sugar... is THE Chili's album. Period!

Freaky Styley is FUNKY. I also like the Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mother's Milk, which has the superb rendition of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground. Mother's Milk probably broke the band and led to the totally excellent (dude!) Blood Sugar Sex Majik.

If you prefer the chilled stuff most, then you probably better cop a listen to the above, first.

The Chillis are one of those bands that I just don't "get" along with Radiohead and U2 to name a couple of others.

I've got a copy of Californication you can have if you want it, providing I can find it of course.

I don't know if I'll get them either, honestly. But I really like how, at least on the mellow stuff, Flea can essentially hold together the entire song and still leave so much room for little guitar fills and stuff.

Not a bad actor either, that Flea fellow.

Side note: danfan, did some Dan stuff recently get remixed or something? I heard Bad Sneakers this morning on the radio, and some of it sounded different, mostly the vocals and little background stuff. (The awesome solo was unchanged, to my ears anyway.)

I haven't heard of any Dan remixes or such like, but I'm worried now in case I'm missing something.

There were some remasters done, that's the last thing I heard of.

And that solo is truly awesome.

I really like what I've heard, but I haven't got any of their albums at all.
Dunno why - I've just never put my hand in my pocket at the right time.

I have most of their stuff, Blood, Sugar, Sex Magic is probably my favourite but I'd recommend Californication as an introduction, it was the LP which seen the return of John Frusciante on guitar.
By the way and Stadium Arcadium are also excellent.

I'm a little picky with RHCP. Californication album I love, Blood Sugar Sex Magic is "typical" Chili stuff, By The Way is very chilled, as already said Freaky Styly is f,f,funkyyyyyy. I'm less keen on other outings.
I "get" RHCP but don't like all of their output.
As for Radiohead, for me they are one of the many bands that are musically very good but ruined by a whinging vocalist. You can add Elbow and Coldplay for exactly the same reason IMHO.

U2, the middle stuff for me, Rattle and Hum, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are good listens with just the odd other track breaking through, like New Years Day.

The Getaway is a sort of outlier for RHCP, but anyone who can't really get into it and enjoy it ....................................... I can see anyone loving this and having no real affection for anything else from the band.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic was the first cd my dad purchased to test his first second hand cd player in 1991. Cue first track and thinks the cd player is broken for the first ten seconds!!

Still have absolutely no idea why he bought that album instead of his usual Kate bush / Mary black etc on my ten year old brothers request!! We loved it though!

They are a very inconsistent band, even their best albums have a couple of clunkers. Californication is the place to start & you may wish to end there.

I only have one, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, bought at the time, as they were a Skate band at the time. “Backwoods” & “Behind The Sun” being favs of it.

I started out with their Greatest Hits cd, put it on thought wtf, stayed with it, played again and again, it grows on you. Then went and bought By the Way, Mothers Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Californication, Stadium Arcadium, I’m With You, and The Getaway.
Best albums imo, everything up to and including stad/arcad.
Consider me an old git at over 65, and I only started to get into them about 18 years ago.

Don’t. Although I really liked John Frusciante’s solo album ‘The Empyrean’. Very Eddie Hazel.

advertisement

Back