advertisement

Child Benefit - Why?

Ok, I'll give you one last post.
Let's assume mum A has 2 nippers age 3 and 2, she qualifies under old rules for CB, Mum B has one nipper aged 3.

Your CB change comes into effect and 15 months later Mum B has a second child.

Both mums have 2 kids, mum A now still gets CB for 2 kids while mum B gets it for just the 1. Your redistribution of CB money will be applied across all kids so mum A gets CB and the benefits of redistributed funds while mum B also gets the benefit of redistributed funds but still only receives one lot of CB.

Ok, I'll give you one last post.
Let's assume mum A has 2 nippers age 3 and 2, she qualifies under old rules for CB, Mum B has one nipper aged 3.

Your CB change comes into effect and 15 months later Mum B has a second child.

Both mums have 2 kids, mum A now still gets CB for 2 kids while mum B gets it for just the 1. Your redistribution of CB money will be applied across all kids so mum A gets CB and the benefits of redistributed funds while mum B also gets the benefit of redistributed funds but still only receives one lot of CB.
Frank,

Ta for that, even though it's a strain at one last post. :)

That's an outcome of not removing the benefit from those already in receipt of it, I'm aware of that apparent inequality.

Surely the important thing for mum B is whether she has more money in her pocket than she would have from receiving child benefit for the second child?
I think that should be possible by making other changes. Mum A receiving child benefit for the 2nd child while also benefiting from other changes is part of a transition.

By highlighting that as a bad thing is saying Mum B shouldn't be better off because Mum A is even more better off.

That apparent inequality would eventually go away in time.

Happy to disagree on this one with no hard feelings, Frank. I think loads of things in our system need a good shake up and I'm always in favour of helping those who need it.

Frank,

Ta for that, even though it's a strain at one last post. :)

Happy to disagree on this one with no hard feelings, Frank. I think loads of things in our system need a good shake up and I'm always in favour of helping those who need it.

Ditto Brian mate.

advertisement

Back