advertisement

Chic - Original Album Series

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
Just bought this for £10 (link).
I’ve got a few Original Album CDs and they seem very well mastered, this is no exception.
Produced by Nile Rodgers at the Power Station, what’s not to like?

‘Take it off’ is really superb. It’s funky and soulful, the title track is really up beat.
Of course there is ‘Le freak’ on Cest Chic so worth buying the set just for that!

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There are some extreme DR numbers on those masterings. Almost needs some compression...

And some gems away from the hits.

Just bought this for £10.
I’ve got a few Original Album CDs and they seem very well mastered, this is no exception.
Produced by Nile Rodgers at the Power Station, what’s not to like?

‘Take it off’ is really superb. It’s funky and soulful, the title track is really up beat.
Of course there is ‘Le freak’ on Cest Chic so worth buying the set just for that!

Are these the Rhino Records 2011 releases?

Yes:-
https://www.discogs.com/Chic-Original-Album-Series/release/3308569
R-3308569-1419207300-1502.jpeg.jpg

It is a bargain. I suspect early CD flat master transfers, so sounds rather different to the original vinyl but still good.

PS I’ve added a link to the OP.

Good excuse to get the CDI out of the loft again. Been streaming Tidal for the last 2 years. I wonder how this CD will compare?

Your gonna love em!

‘Burn Hard’ is infectious, the bass is really great, gives the SARAs chance to clear their lungs!

Purist says 'yay!', pragmatist thinks a bit of peak limitation might be useful for enjoyment in the average home.

I tend to agree - it sounds great on serious kit that can do proper dynamics, but can sound a tad thin on small speakers. They got it right on the original vinyl and in most cases that is what CD reissues should emulate IMO. It seems in reality modt of the time we get a choice between flat master transfers and loud brick-walled crap when it comes to rock and pop, and I’ll take the former every time!

SBLs? Great but maybe a little thinner than your memory of the songs. Don’t get me wrong, it is very decent though.

So in Laymans terms, will this CD sound shite or sublime on an old school Naim set up?:p
You need to turn it up. Perhaps quite a lot. Not sure Naim can handle that...

I think the 'hd' versions from HDTracks are similarly mastered, so I assume it is deliberate, a choice made at transfer rather than a more or less accidental flat transfer from the dawn of CD that has re-emerged in bargain form. According to,

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Chic&album=C'est+Chic

there has never been a crushed issue.

advertisement

Back