advertisement

Chic at Glastonbury

andyoz

pfm Member
I think their set has surprised a lot of the young ones that only knew of Nile from Daft Punk..

They just went for it...great version of Lets Dance. Amazing what can be done with a fairly simple stage rig and loads of genuine talent.

I wanted to twat those eejits using their phones and feckin ipads onstage during the last track.
"Ooh, I'm such a fully functioning media node me"

I could also have done without the bass player's sex face; but other than that some top notch tunes.

I'm just watching it now... The only thing I'm not enjoying is the mix. Nothing like enough jangly guitar going on, Nile is completely inaudible at times.

Mix gets better as gig goes on..notice Nile looking to towards sound guys on the first track and then just gets on with it....what a pro but it just shows it all relies on his right hand groove.

They do a great build up in the middle of Le Freak, great brass..but you have to play it loud. We've a young guy working there this week and Chic just blew him away....wee ****er texted a photo of himself in security area front of stage.

I am glad someone mentioned them, I thought they were great. Thought they done a nice uptempo set, would have liked to be their myself for that one but I am not really into freezing my bollocks off. I was well impressed with that drummer who sang the David Bowie number (written by Nile) he impressed me.

Mix gets better as gig goes on..notice Nile looking to towards sound guys on the first track and then just gets on with it...nt of stage.

Nile would not know that his guitar was not penetrating out front. Only that his monitor mix is not right. Which may be exactly the same as the PA mix, but normally the artist asks for their own mix in it.

What a great gig, though. Everything else so far that I have seen sucked balls compared to this performance. Perfect for a festival.

I was well impressed with that drummer who sang the David Bowie number (written by Nile) he impressed me.

Bowie wrote Let's Dance. Rogers arranged and produced. There is an interview with Rogers recently where he describes Bowie presenting him with the song as a ballad.

What we need is a full E,W&F show to close at Glastonbury, though I think the band will require a dodgy TdF medic to get them going at their previous energy level again. That or one hell of a lot of marching powder.

I wish in a sense Rodgers was a bit more precious about the music. I could have done without the stage invasion at the end unless they were proper dancers in the "Soul Train" tradition & there should have been a sniper to take out these twats with phones. A bit too Butlins for me, the music is great enough to allow a bit of aloof standoffishness.

Not managed to catch the Arctic Monkeys on iplayer yet...probably won't but did anyone see both? I assume Chic showed them how to put a show on?

Have to keep reminding myself that I was watching a 61 year old and not a 30 year old.

Alot of bands on the bill really need to get rid of the 'we are serious musicians' look and have some fun...many are actually average.

Good to see Sea Sick Steve booging down.

Twat with mobile texting on stage should have been thumped by the badass bass player

Very full sound from a pretty lean line up, I thought they were excellent, tight as a tight thing and absolutely loved by the young crowd.
+1 on the twat texting while onstage with a god, unbelievable.

Watching it now.

Makes you feel good doesn't it...what music is all about.

Watched it again at near concert levels (the wife's out..)

Lets Dance and Le Freak the definite highlights for me.
Everybody Dance was ruined a bit by the audience on stage.
Band looked like they genuinely enjoyed themselves.

Chic are easily the best act of Glastonbury so far. Nearly every song they play dates from decades ago, but they are far cooler and funkier than The Rolling Stones.

Nile's guitar playing is way better than Keef's.

It's great that Chic got hundreds of people onstage for the last song. It's a real testament to the fact that they create music for the audience to have a good time.

I haven't yet read the autobiography of Nile Rodgers. I wonder if he ever met Keith Richards while doing massive amounts of charlie and having sex in the lady's toilets of Studio 54 (which is what he did quite often)?

Jack

I haven't yet read the autobiography of Nile Rodgers.

Its a great book. He had a weird upbringing, his parents were basically junkies. His stories about producing 80's acts are the best bits for me. He used to conduct the orchestra's that were doing the sessions and these were top flight muso's that would have savaged any pretend arrangers...Nile's far more than just a funky guitar player.

That middle bit of Le Freak gave me goosebumps when played loud. Their two man brass section were really on the money. I liked the grey haired sax player.

The Stones brass section were going thru the motions by comparison and were probably getting paid a lot more.

...Nile's far more than just a funky guitar player.

That middle bit of Le Freak gave me goosebumps when played loud. Their two man brass section were really on the money. I liked the grey haired sax player.

The Stones brass section were going thru the motions by comparison and were probably getting paid a lot more.

I completely agree.

Jack

advertisement

Back