advertisement

Check this old MC5 LP out!!!

Shane2468

pfm Member
How much could this old MC5 album go for? It's a record that was made in 1969!!!

Item no- 180243419646

So is this the real labeled album or is it just a pressed copy.

Oh yeah, It's on ebay so take a look.

Item no- 180243419646

So is this the real labeled album or is it just a pressed copy.

Looks like a censored US original to me - it certainly hasn't got John Sinclair's wonderful rant on the inside gatefold, but the label is right (there were both red and gold versions, both being original), the grove is certainly right. It may or may not have the word 'motherfuckers' muted.

Tony.

(who has a mint uncensored US 1st pressing)

So how much could this old album get? Just imagine it went to £30 what would you think?

Depends entirely on the sellers definition of VG+, it can mean anything between 'a very decent record' and 'I used this to scrape the artex off the spare room ceiling' IME.

Tony.

Funny, pulled this out and gave it a spin the other day. A true classic.

Bid to win Shane.

Carl

(Also US 1st press but sadly not in grt condition)

For some reason, I've never really managed to get on with this album. It's been years since I played it so I guess it's due for another spin. I know I shouldn't but I've always preferred Made in the USA. I've never heard High Times.

Peter (who owns a butterfly label, gatefold sleeve UK 70's reissue in NM condition)

Looks like a censored US original to me - it certainly hasn't got John Sinclair's wonderful rant on the inside gatefold, but the label is right (there were both red and gold versions, both being original), the grove is certainly right. It may or may not have the word 'motherfuckers' muted.

Tony.

(who has a mint uncensored US 1st pressing)

Tony
As the man who knows all things vinyl.
I have a motherfucker gatefold with JS rant. Vinyl label is red Elektra marked 'made in Gt Britain Polydor Records Ltd'. Back cover is marked EKL 4042 Mono, manufactured by Polydor Records Ltd London.

Is it worth anything ?

For some reason, I've never really managed to get on with this album. It's been years since I played it so I guess it's due for another spin. I know I shouldn't but I've always preferred Made in the USA. I've never heard High Times.

Peter (who owns a butterfly label, gatefold sleeve UK 70's reissue in NM condition)

You should. High Times rocks (Particularly Sister Anne & Poison). As does their 10 minute cover of the Stones' 'Empty Heart' off the Herouville live tapes.

their early tapes are really good too.

Of all their stuff, KOTJ is my least favourite of their releases.

Just get the Sundazed reissues rather than forking out for iffy e bay vinyl - they sound great and they're $15 each.

This has been posted here before, but you really can't have enough Motor City 5 in your life........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwV5Sqlhlgc

Bom Shanka

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a motherfucker gatefold with JS rant. Vinyl label is red Elektra marked 'made in Gt Britain Polydor Records Ltd'. Back cover is marked EKL 4042 Mono, manufactured by Polydor Records Ltd London.

Is it worth anything ?

Oooh a mono one, yes, that's certainly worth cash - it's in my old 2006 book at £70, but a really nice one with the wind behind it deserves to do a good bit better. It's one of those albums that should be worth a bloody fortune IMO as it is spectacularly important, a real defining moment of the 60s, plus it was banned / there are many different versions etc etc, but they often fall below some far more mundane stuff for some reason. What does the matrix say? Is it a first press? I'd be surprised if monos were anything but to be honest. A very nice thing to have.

Tony.

Well IIRC I bought it at a Record Fair in the mid 80's.

Matrixes are EKL4042A2/EKL4042B1. The vinyl is at least an EX. Just a tatty white inner sleeve ?

Hi,

The recent book price (2008) has it at £80 for the mono version and £60 for the stereo version. Both on the red label with gatrefold sleeve.

Popsike has some tasty prices for this album.

Dean

Matrixes are EKL4042A2/EKL4042B1. The vinyl is at least an EX. Just a tatty white inner sleeve ?

I think the UK ones just had a plain white inner, the US ones have a tan inner with Elektra branding, but nothing specific to the LP. Yours is certainly a very, very early UK mono original. The only UK mono copies I can see on www.popsike.com made £130 and $88. I think the former is a far more realistic price. I'm sure that one of eBay's big and verbose sellers, i.e. the ones who can afford exclamation marks and words in capital letters by the barrow load would probably be able to double that. By rights it should be worth lots - I'm sure it's time will come.

Tony.

advertisement

Back