advertisement

Cheapo albums in Tesco

Over the last year I have come to the conclusion that if you're going to move to a new town, then a visit to the local Tesco beforehand will give you a good indication of the local residents. I think they're all different.

I can't shop at my local Tesco in Swindon. The place is full of the aforementioned couples sporting matching England football shirts that are 5 sizes too small with their bellies poking out the bottom, crowds of people standing in the vegetable aisles waiting for the cucumbers to jump out and do a little dance. People who have absolutely no concept of trolley control as they ram you at full speed and then look at you as if you had done it to them. On my last visit, I just dumped my half full basket and ran out of the store shouting "FREEEEAKS!". Exeter was bordering on this as well, although nowhere near as bad.

But then you travel up the road for about 10 miles from Swindon and try the one in Cirencester. An altogether different experience. A lot more laid back. You can get down the aisles without being jostled by a woman who's desperately trying to get to the pavlovas because she hasn't eaten a whole one in 10 minutes. You can actually detect some common sense going on.

Then there's my old hometown of Talbot Green in Mid Glamorgan and it's a joy to visit. Convivial atmosphere, people merrily going about their business but as quickly as possible, and the people on the checkouts are always very friendly and like to engage in a bit of chat.

There's probably a PHD waiting to be done on this.

Quite right too. Keeps the pikeys out. I occasionally pop into my local Tesco's (they also stock these £4 cheapies) which seems to be bursting with gangs of hoodies, fourteen year old girls pushing their kids around in buggies and mothers yelling at their kids. Fortunately they never make it as far as Waitrose. A far more civilised shopping experience, and I'm happy to pay for it.

d) Strongly agree

The difference...

Tesco:
KYLIE NO!!!! <slap>
WHHHHHHHAAAAAA
When we get home I'm gonna KILL you!

Waitrose:
Why thank you Quentin. Thats is very thoughtful of you. But I already have enough double super re-hymened olive oil. Persephone, please could you help Quentin put that back? Thank You.

That reminds me. I was in Waitrose in Marlborough a few weeks back and watched and marvelled at a youngish and rather well heeled looking mother followed reluctantly by her very eloquent daughter who cannot have been more than about 8 years old. As the mother approached the alcohol section the conversation unfolded:

Girl: Mummy, where are you going now?
Mother: I'm going to get some wine dear, come along.
Girl: Oh mummy, must you.. Again?
Mother: Come on, I won't be long.
Girl: Oh mummy, your ALWAYS buying wine, I find it very boring.
At this point the girl starts distancing herself from her mother and talking more loudly as if to show her up to the other shoppers.
Girl: Mummy, you do drink a lot of wine and you can be really quite boring when you've drunk a lot of wine.
At this point the mother is starting to look increasingly sheepish.
Girl: Can we go home now please, I think you've bought enough wine haven't you?

Now there's something you'd never see happening in Tesco.

I was in morrisons last year (bishop auckland) when I was in the queue when a till became available and i pushed my trolley across (as you do) - then this complete chav shoulder charged me out of the way so that he could be in front of me - I stood my ground (even tho he was bigger than me) but eventually he got his way...he was swearing and threatening me (in front of his kid and wife) whilst the security guard looked on from a distance....

I did write to them asking if they had any kind of set policy and if they had any safeguards to prevent this from happeneing again in the future...they did reply but basically said they were not going to be doing anything about it....twats!

I overheard a child being asked by his dad what he wanted for dessert that evening whilst shopping in Harpenden Waitrose. The boy replied, "Do they have passion fruit creme brulee?".

I nearly pissed myself laughing much to his father's annoyance. I honestly don't know which of these odious types I prefer. The chavs shouting at their children or the upper class ****wits. I suppose (as Mr Cat points out) at least the latter aren't likely to attack you for no apparent reason.

Jonathan

heh jonathan you sound like Dylan Moran..."It's a terrible day when your own child turns to you and asks 'Daddy, is this organic?'"

Had a strange (read pleasant) experience in Borehamwood Texco earlier. I went shopping at 0300. Just me, the shelf stackers and lines of food cages. Just one other shopper and no shouting. I commend it to you all.

I overheard a child being asked by his dad what he wanted for dessert that evening whilst shopping in Harpenden Waitrose. The boy replied, "Do they have passion fruit creme brulee?".

I nearly pissed myself laughing much to his father's annoyance. I honestly don't know which of these odious types I prefer. The chavs shouting at their children or the upper class ****wits. I suppose (as Mr Cat points out) at least the latter aren't likely to attack you for no apparent reason.

Jonathan

The creme brulee thing is brilliant.

I live five minutes walk from a large Tesco, which I avoid. I find it's like a football match combined with a zombie movie.

Waitrose (and this is tightwad East Yorkshire) is large, empty and I can get around it in 10 minutes. That's worth £20 a week to me. Despite being 6 miles away - It is on the way home. Although, given the choice, I'd rape and pillage the planet with a special journey instead of going to Tesco.

yeah, I had an old mate who used to go shopping at midnight (he wasn't working) and he'd get some super bargains like tuna steaks (that were going out of date at midnight) for about 20p...!

Had a strange (read pleasant) experience in Borehamwood Texco earlier. I went shopping at 0300. Just me, the shelf stackers and lines of food cages. Just one other shopper and no shouting. I commend it to you all.

I live very close to a 24hr Asda and use that technique quite often.

Tony.

Over the last year I have come to the conclusion that if you're going to move to a new town, then a visit to the local Tesco beforehand will give you a good indication of the local residents. I think they're all different.

I can't shop at my local Tesco in Swindon. The place is full of the aforementioned couples sporting matching England football shirts that are 5 sizes too small with their bellies poking out the bottom, crowds of people standing in the vegetable aisles waiting for the cucumbers to jump out and do a little dance. People who have absolutely no concept of trolley control as they ram you at full speed and then look at you as if you had done it to them. On my last visit, I just dumped my half full basket and ran out of the store shouting "FREEEEAKS!". Exeter was bordering on this as well, although nowhere near as bad.

But then you travel up the road for about 10 miles from Swindon and try the one in Cirencester. An altogether different experience. A lot more laid back. You can get down the aisles without being jostled by a woman who's desperately trying to get to the pavlovas because she hasn't eaten a whole one in 10 minutes. You can actually detect some common sense going on.

Then there's my old hometown of Talbot Green in Mid Glamorgan and it's a joy to visit. Convivial atmosphere, people merrily going about their business but as quickly as possible, and the people on the checkouts are always very friendly and like to engage in a bit of chat.

You don't mean the huge warehouse like monstrocity in Talbot green do you? My mum shops there, i use the lighting as a beacon to get to my mums house from the M4 (6 miles away). I couldn't stay in there long enough to buy CD's

Well I live not that far from you and my local Tesco is in Rickmansworth. Quite a middle class area one would have thought and yet my weekly shopping trips just became too much to bear. Agree that Waitrose is so much nicer!

I know the Rickmansworth Tesco, the one by the canal. It is quite civilised around there.

Interesting, MarkS; can you find any evidence to substantiate your claim at all? I mean food prices across the board rather than on one or two items.

Being responsible for doing the shopping I am really boring and notice the prices and compare them...

when first moved from a city to a village (in a county of a rival footy team) I checked out a flat and liked it and whilst walking back to the bus stop I encountered about 10 chavs standing on a corner of a pub - I decided that the best tactic was not to walk around them but straight through them...!
they never even uttered a simple word so I moved there and enjoyed it....
there's no way you could do that in newcastle without at least a few fists coming your direction - unless they're students of course!

I was in morrisons last year (bishop auckland) when I was in the queue when a till became available and i pushed my trolley across (as you do) - then this complete chav shoulder charged me out of the way so that he could be in front of me - I stood my ground (even tho he was bigger than me) but eventually he got his way...he was swearing and threatening me (in front of his kid and wife) whilst the security guard looked on from a distance....

I did write to them asking if they had any kind of set policy and if they had any safeguards to prevent this from happeneing again in the future...they did reply but basically said they were not going to be doing anything about it....twats!

looking at todays Sky news bulletin, i see that some fella has been remanded on a murder charge , whilst another 37 year guy has died, seemingly from recieving a punch in a queue jumping incident at a supermarket check out.
what a complete and utter waste of energy. although i will freely admit that i have felt the need to tap somebody on the shoulder and say;
"Sorry, was i in your way! " on more than a one occasion now.

We have a time honoured system in Great Britain that has endured for many years, It's called queueing. I don't like it any more than the next guy, it has become obvious to me in recent years though that not all cultures share this ability to be quietly patient and wait ones turn....

d) Strongly agree

The difference...

Tesco:
KYLIE NO!!!! <slap>
WHHHHHHHAAAAAA
When we get home I'm gonna KILL you!

Waitrose:
Why thank you Quentin. Thats is very thoughtful of you. But I already have enough double super re-hymened olive oil. Persephone, please could you help Quentin put that back? Thank You.

Although I have also met some very patient 'nice' parents who own brats that really could do with a good slap across the back of the legs....

looking at todays Sky news bulletin, i see that some fella has been remanded on a murder charge , whilst another 37 year guy has died, seemingly from recieving a punch in a queue jumping incident at a supermarket check out.
what a complete and utter waste of energy. although i will freely admit that i have felt the need to tap somebody on the shoulder and say;
"Sorry, was i in your way! " on more than a one occasion now.

We have a time honoured system in Great Britain that has endured for many years, It's called queueing. I don't like it any more than the next guy, it has become obvious to me in recent years though that not all cultures share this ability to be quietly patient and wait ones turn....

yeah, i saw that too...what a waste...

and it becomes even worse when people are in cars too....but thats for another thread... ;)

You don't mean the huge warehouse like monstrocity in Talbot green do you? My mum shops there, i use the lighting as a beacon to get to my mums house from the M4 (6 miles away). I couldn't stay in there long enough to buy CD's

Yes, that's the one. It is a bit bright, but then it's still relatively new. Can't say I've had any problems with it though. Weren't hungover were you? I don't think I'd want to go in there the morning after a heavy night.

advertisement

Back