advertisement

Cheapest speakers for NAC72 / NAP180

deanf

pfm Member
I'm upgrading to NAC72 / NAP180 but I need a new pair of speakers - something to tide me over until next year. I reckon some of the older Royd speakers, or Mission 753's will do a job.

What else is there? And is ebay a bad idea?

There was (maybe still is) a pair of Rega Elas for sale on here which would I'm sure sing nicely on the end of the 72/180.

Think they were about £100.

Cheers Gromit - I checked these out, they're in London and I'm in Manchester so it might not be worth the cost of shipping (I'd drive if it were reasonable). I'll keep them in mind thanks.

Hi Dean

You mention Royds. I've been very happy with my Royd Minstrels, secondhand cost around £150. I'm driving them from a NAC 62 (with TeddyCap) and (Avondaled) NAP 140 so not a million miles away from your setup. Good bass for size of speaker, exciting, and very together musically.

When I asked about suitable speakers here about a year ago, people mentioned the Minstrels, the Elas (the version with the Royd drivers) and some Epos (ES11s I think, but not 100% sure).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

- Garry

I used to have those Elas and you won't beat them for a ton.

You WILL need a Hicap for the 72; do that and you're more than half way there.

Kans would be good too...

I used Minstrels with 102/fcap/napsc/180 with fantastic results.
TBH they pissed all over my pair of Intro 2's.

You WILL need a Hicap for the 72.. there we go, another few hundred quid up the swanny!

Seriously though, great information, thank you. I'm think I heard the Minstrels years ago and thought they filled the room well (and mine's open plan, 21ft x 18ft), so they're now on the list. Looks like I'm now on the lookout for a Hicap as well as 180.

I don't think you should be in a rush to get a PSU for the 180. It will be an improvement, but not as much as it would with a 140. The Hicap transformer in the 180 is a lot better than the one in the smaller amp and gives a reasonable power supply to the pre.

I use a 72/180 in the kitchen system, and the improvement when I added a Hicap was not huge. I recommend Royds too. I use Abbots with this and had Edens with it before, and Royds work very well with that combo.

I run a 102/180 (tried a 72) with a pair of Royd Doublets which yu can pick up for around £150-£200 and they are cracking, I very much doubt I could get a good step forward upgrade without spending a grand plus so another vote for royds. Excellent music from them I never want to stop listening.

I did have rega ella's many years ago with a 90/92 system and they were very good in that set up.

Just noticed a pair of black Royd Minstrels on sale in the Classified section for £100 ;)

That's a good deal if they're in good working order.

One thing I remember that people advised me to check was that Minstrels can get gunked up around the main speaker cone. This can affect the sound. Should be obvious from a demo if this is the case, both from the sound and from visual inspection.

Just to be clear - I have no connection to the seller.

advertisement

Back